The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Westy interior light/radio mod.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dublicious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 07 at 16:12
right sorted, apart from where the brown cable goes. I know it is an earth
as it is strapped to metal.

You dont need to cut cables, take connector blocks apart or anything :)

This is my method and feel free to correct me :)

1. Remove fuse no. 3
2. Run 17 amp wire with a 15 amp inline fuse from the leisure battery to
the fuse box and place a spade connector on the end of the cable.
3. With your radio on try placing the spade connector into the fuse
holder no.3. First try the bottom connector and if the radio comes on the
you are done

Simple
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 07 at 16:29

simple, but a bit gash.

dublicious View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dublicious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 07 at 17:48
Do u think, only difference is that you are not messing with the fuse box
wiring and can put back to standard just by putting the fuse back in :)

To be honest I couldn't get the way described in thread to work, but then
I am no mastermind :) I found it only did the lights and not the stereo.
Thinking about it all I had to do was remove the supply coming from pin
12 and replace that with the new suply from leisure, doh.

any ideas where the brown earth cable secured to the metal beside the
fusebox goes m8? bit stuck.

Appreciate your help dude

Originally posted by Baxter Baxter wrote:

simple, but a bit gash.

Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 07 at 20:42
id be a bit concerned about that wire plopping out to be honest...

but It would work I suppose.

And as most T3s seem to have a fuse box area that resembles a rats nest full of tapeworms... I guess one more wire aint gonna hurt

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dublicious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 07 at 21:00
Have a look at pictures 5, 6 and 7 then you will see what I mean about loose
wire http://web.mac.com/dublicious/iWeb/Site/Wiring.html

cheers

J
irishkeet View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishkeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 07 at 12:19
HI
My van is an 80 aircooled with the older fuses will this work ok for my fuse box?
thanks
keet
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dublicious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 07 at 18:12
not a clue my friend,  this is my first T3

Originally posted by irishkeet irishkeet wrote:

HI
My van is an 80 aircooled with the older fuses will this work ok for my fuse box?
thanks
keet
irishkeet View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishkeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 07 at 13:49
anyone know if this mod will work with the older fuse box?
thanks
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 07 at 22:08

It will work, but I can't tell you how, you will have to find out which fuse does the accessories you want to change then unclip the wires from the back of the fusebox and plug in your new wire.

not rocking horse science, the early fuseboxes are dead simple.

irishkeet View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishkeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 07 at 10:00
many thanks Simon
COLEY View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COLEY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 08 at 20:34
does the rewire also swap the dash clock to the aux battery ? left mine for a while and it flattened the battery.
Joker_Club View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 08 at 16:31
Not sure what the clock runs from, but my `van was parked for 6 weeks while I was outa the country and all batts where fine when I got back.
Sunny Lancs
chesterwesty View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chesterwesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 08 at 00:14
Just a quick note - someone mentioned in the thread that the fridge only works with the engine running.  Infact, the 12v heating element only works with the engine runing - but the cooling fan cuts in and out whenever the temp around the heat exchanger gets above a certain level - either on gas, 12v or 240v. Normally only happpens in hot weather or if the bus is in direct sunlight and the interior temp gets up a bit.
chesterwesty
marc34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marc34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 08 at 18:25
anyone in the herts area fancy popping round for a cuppa and showing me how to do this mod to my fuse box cheersWink
1991 california westie 1.9 AAZ
MacAdiane View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacAdiane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 08 at 15:21
Originally posted by dublicious dublicious wrote:

right sorted, apart from where the brown cable goes. I know it is an earth
as it is strapped to metal.

You dont need to cut cables, take connector blocks apart or anything :)

This is my method and feel free to correct me :)

1. Remove fuse no. 3
2. Run 17 amp wire with a 15 amp inline fuse from the leisure battery to
the fuse box and place a spade connector on the end of the cable.
3. With your radio on try placing the spade connector into the fuse
holder no.3. First try the bottom connector and if the radio comes on the
you are done

Simple

Thank you....
I have done this mod and it does work without changing the original specs.

It also was simple to remove two weeks later when I discovered that for some reason my second battery wasnt fit to start the eber any more.
I take it that only the main battery gets recharged first, and on short runs the second one never gets a "shot". No really sur though and everything works ok in the original configuration, so i'll leave that as it is.

Edited by MacAdiane - 31 Jul 17 at 22:03
Rubbadub View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubbadub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 08 at 17:21
Right...i have the early type fuse box with the bullet fuses. A technician from Summer town  motors in Broughnton, S.Devon. has so say done a similar mod that runs all the interior lights, fridge, water pump and stereo from the Aux battery. This was about 2 years ago and all has seemed to be fine.

However, since i rebuilt the interior after the respray the water pump for the tape is switched by the batt. indicator switch on the front of the westy cooker...rather than the tap micro switch. The tap still has a live and switch live. i have tried tracing all the wires and finding out what is going on and it all seemed as it should do. unfortunately being a bit of a numpty i messed about with things that i dont know about and tried conecting the live feed from the tap to the water pump direct. nothing happened accept now the interior lights dont work and niether does the stereo. The water pumpo does but still only switched by the batt. indicator switch. I have checked all of the fuses in the fuse board with a continuity tester, also the two fuses in the little boxy thing behind the drivers seat, also droped the fuse board and checked for inline fuses and they were fine, also taken the seat off and looked for any fuses there that may have b;lown...all fine.

Please give some sugestions as i dont want to re-feed supplies to the stereo and interior lights when there is probably just a fuse blown somewhere.
Paul, Sarah, Cleo n Erin - Bristol

85 Poptop Westy Jkr
Joker_Club View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 08 at 21:32
If it`s been modded it could be a fuse hidden anywhere Confused. The pump etc runs through a fuse in the small fusebox behind the drivers seat. Check that it`s all Ok in there, it`s prone to overheating and getting a bit cooked so check the fuse holders are all OK, if it looks crap then fit a new fusebox of  the same type.
Sunny Lancs
Rubbadub View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubbadub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 08 at 20:30
After a bit more dicking about i have discovered that they now are ignition live. This has only happened since the van has been to an auto electrician who was messing around with these circuits. So hopefully he will sort it out soon.
Paul, Sarah, Cleo n Erin - Bristol

85 Poptop Westy Jkr
Atlantic View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atlantic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 08 at 09:59
Hello

I'm new to this excellent forum, and found this a very useful thread.

I've just attemtpted to install a blaupunck radio/cd in my newly acquired 1990 Atlantic.

I've got the thing connected up okay. It works - but it switches off, when i switch-on the headlights! having looked behind the fuse box, there are all manner of previous lash-ups and wires hanging about. I've tidied these up as best I can, taping and insulting. But why the radio circuit is affected by the headlights I can't determine, and not sure how to.

I most definately think radio/interior lights etc should run from the leisure battery and would like to make this modification, thereby i hope also removing the headlight issue.

One question.

Where does the earth that runs from the radio go to? can it be that it's the earth that is somehow connected to the headlights circuit? If so, then changing the 12v supply would make no difference?

Thanks for any help!

Fi
badger View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 08 at 10:49
Couldn't tell you where the earth runs to via the wiring loom; but if you want to wire a fresh earth connection to the radio, if you look behind the fusebox, in the top left corner you'll see a terminal ring screwed to the bottom of the A post - should be some spare terminals on there, just run a wire from your radio to this earth ring. 
1989 Westy California 1.9 AAZ
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>