The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flushing brake fluid

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote transporter_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flushing brake fluid
    Posted: 26 May 20 at 21:47
Hi, I need to flush the brake fluid in my 2010 Transporter 5.1 T28 102.

Can someone help me with the recommended order for flushing the system and whether the clutch should be done. I've read the clutch can be a bit tricky and tends to be left.

I will be using a pressure bleeder unit and have the Ross-Tech VCDS system.

I replaced the disc's and pads all round a month ago but the fluid has never been replaced and the vans coming up to 100k miles now.

Regards
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 20 at 13:24
I don't know what the official order is on a T5.1 but in the trade it gets generally ignored as of not much importance.  The accepted way most people use is to start at the the corner furthest from the master cylinder then bleed the other rear and work your way forwards towards the master cylinder.  You may well up going round again anyway.  

I would definitely change the clutch fluid (only do this after you have completed the brake fluid change) especially on the six speeds because the slave cylinder is the concentric type which means gearbox removal to replace it.  It can be awkward to bleed but you should be ok with a pressure bleeder.  Keep a close eye on the fluid level while you are working because only the top inch or so is dedicated for the clutch, if you allow it to drop below the feed pipe level (you can see it on the outside of the reservoir) it will draw in air.   

You can run the ABS pump for a short period using 'Basic Settings' using VCDS.  I'd try it with the front N/S bleed valve open so it can move the fluid out of the pump.  I would do this part without the pressure bleeder connected.  Good luck. Smile
2004 2.5 174
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 20 at 13:50
The general VW recommendation is for brake fluid to be replaced at 3 years on a new vehicle, then every 2 years after that.  

Brake fluid absorbs water out of the atmosphere, and the water lowers the boiling point of the brake fluid (boiling brake fluid is bad, very bad).

I always have my clutch fluid flushed and replaced at the same times as the brake fluid is done.
transporter_man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote transporter_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 20 at 21:03
I bought the manual today and although it says when bleeding do the front first then the back, it then say when flushing through new fluid, do the clutch first then the back as T5 TDI said followed by the front so that's cleared that up, thank you T5 TDI.

It also mentions a pedal actuator to keep pedal pressed down whilst flushing with the pressure bleeder, has anyone done this?
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 20 at 22:46
You could change the clutch fluid first but I can't see the point.  Better to start the clutch bleeding process with a reservoir full of clean fluid since the reservoir is shared.  Can't help about pedal actuator.  I used a big professional garage pressure bleeder for many years but it didn't have that requirement.  
2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply