The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Florida fridge problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Florida fridge problems
    Posted: 21 Apr 14 at 18:09
Hi there, 

I have a 1995 Florida, 2.4 td.  I have a problem with the fridge and wonder if anyone can help?  I'll confess straight off that I am not the world's greatest techie, so bear with me!  I have been getting help from a local maintenance guy but have reached a dead end. 

The fridge is working perfectly on 240v.  It works on 12v while driving, although not very efficiently.  The real problem though is that it is not working at all on gas - we like to do a fair bit of wild camping, so that is a major problem.  

The guy who is helping me out has had the fridge to pieces and has tried everything that he can think of to get it going.  The burner is working, as it is heating up but just not sufficiently well to get the fridge cold at all.  The only remaining query is  whether it has the right size of burner on it, as someone has obviously done work on the fridge previously and the burner might have been changed.  It has a 22m burner fitted on it and I wonder whether it should be a 24mm but we haven't managed to confirm that anywhere, so don't want to take the risk of fitting too big a burner and creating a fire risk.  

The result is that we just cannot get the fridge going at all and I am now wondering about a replacement.  The fridge which is fitted is an R184.  That was superseded by the RM4185M, but that has been discontinued too and there is no longer a replacement - I'm told that the equivalents have the controls at the bottom, rather than at the top in mine. 

So, the questions are: 

1. Can anyone explain why the fridge might not be working?  In particular, does anyone know what the right size of burner is? 

2. Assuming I just can't  get it working, does anyone know where I might just get my hands on an RM4185M? 

3. If there is no RM4185M available, does anyone know of any other alternative?  I'm told that a Waeco 240/12v might be an option.  I have a solar panel on the roof which charges up the leisure battery but, even then,  I'm doubtful about how long the leisure battery will hold out for running the fridge off it (not least when we live in Scotland, where solar power is not always the most effective!).  Any thoughts?  

4. Any other bright ideas at all?!

Any help at all would be really appreciated.  We love our van but it is a real pain not being able to wild camp.  

All the best, 

Burningman. 
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 14 at 07:08
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/you-got-fridge-problems_topic57295.html
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

burningman View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 14 at 09:47
Thanks very much - appreciated. 

From the previous thread, I see that some people take a dim view is taken of newbies like me asking the same tedious questions about their fridge.  Apologies if starting a new thread has bothered anyone, but being pointed in the right direction has been a huge help.

Cheers.
sid 63 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid 63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 14 at 11:10
Originally posted by burningman burningman wrote:

From the previous thread, I see that some people take a dim view is taken of newbies like me asking the same tedious questions about their fridge.  Apologies if starting a new thread has bothered anyone, but being pointed in the right direction has been a huge help.

Cheers.

Dont worry about it chap ive had these fridges for a while in different vans and i keep asking questions about them.i just had my fridge out in my florida to replace the fans. If your ever down my way i could show how to take it out. ( market harborough, ish )
slovenia the hidden jewel
sid 63 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid 63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 14 at 11:23
Just seen where your from so you probably wont be down here.
slovenia the hidden jewel
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 14 at 13:58
Originally posted by burningman burningman wrote:

Cheers.

No worries bud!

Just pointed you to.possibly the best but bitchiest thread for repairing the good old westy fridge!!
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

burningman View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 14 at 22:07
Thanks to both of you.

You're right, Sid - I won't be in your neck of the woods anytime soon, unless I really do need to get my solar panel working better!

Cheers.
 Post Reply Post Reply