The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFitting Rear Parking Sensors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Profsparks View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fitting Rear Parking Sensors
    Posted: 11 May 11 at 13:24
Hi all

Thought it about time I fitted the reversing sensors, and stopped looking at the picture on the box Wink

Plenty of these on FleaBay, all you need is in there for about £15

the control unit and power wire, the LED display with inbuilt sounder, the drill bit/hole saw in the orange box, and the four sensors.

The rear lights and quater trim are removed first
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/fitting-a-towbar-part-12-removing-refit-bumper_topic64103.html

I decided to mount the control box in the nearside rear storage ducket with the jack/wheelbrace/first aid kit, as the offside one was full of some sort of aircon machinery
also the power wires just reached in there through the hole from behind the tail light.

the positive (red) wire goes to the green reverse light wire, and the negative (black) wire goes to the brown common earth wire.

Before doing anything to the bumper, I taped the sensors in position to check they wouldn't pick up the towball

all seemed to be good, so the bumper was measured and marked and taken off to be drilled

No going back now! Must admit, the hardest part was measuring and re-measuring to get the positions to look 'right'

Even in direct sunlight, the silver sensors are a good match for the paint. Other colours are available.

The wires are then taped together and fed up behind the rear quater trim and in through the rear light loom seal

The rubber bung may need to be trimmed back to allow all the wires through, but with a bit of squeezing the light cluster goes back on.

All the wires plugged into the control unit, and the unit stuck on to the side with the supplied sticky pad.

As the little LED display had the beeper built in, it had to be fixed somewhere in the cabin for it to be seen and heard. However, I didn't fancy trailing the cable all the way to the driving seat (and it was too short anyway, only about 5m), so I stuck it to the top corner of the rear offside window.

It's small and black and almost invisible, but I can hear it and see it in my rear view mirror.

The cable is tucked in behind the interior trim pannels across the top of the rear door, and down into the control unit.
The pannels just pop off and on with little plastic clips.

Just like a bought one!

So now there's a beep from about a metre and a half away from an obsticle, quick beeps from about a metre, and a constant tone from about half a metre away. There's a small adjustment screw on the control unit, but I found it works out about right as it is.

Cheers
Steve

'04 174PS SE
trenchfoot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 11 at 16:14
I did the same off of Ebay! But i routed the unit all the way to the front and it sits on the dash just behind the tray should post some pics but yes it works great, ALOT cheaper than the VW factory fitted vesion and has a row of LED that go Green Amber then Red as you get closer!! Reccomended retro fit!
advance View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 11 at 18:20
give us a link??
sevy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
Special..............Needs

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 11 at 19:16
you can get a kit that just beeps and doesnt have a black box similar price I had em in my T4
Nice Job . If you have a tow bar it will set em off even a westy VW factory one sets mine off on a factory fit kit
Profsparks View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 11 at 21:20
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320660637716&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Cheers
Steve
'04 174PS SE
sevy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
Special..............Needs

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 11 at 14:48
used Massaver 3 times now and brilliant for the price great kit

I personally get my hand up the back and find the two exsiting holes in the re-inforcer just off centre where VW put the sensors , mark with a permanat marker and drill , then the two outers are just shy of the reinforcer , sensors work a treat , cable are routed isdie the frame through the grommet rear NS and then speaker in rear roof beam where a hole is already. Easy fit about an hour tops and adds pounds  to any van.
Nice pics and great thread .
 Post Reply Post Reply