The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fitting dipstick to AEF engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bernard73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fitting dipstick to AEF engine
    Posted: 05 Jul 20 at 15:53
Afternoon

My van has had the 1.6 CS engine changed to an AEF 1.9d but it hasn't had the dipstick fitted. I want to try to do this myself but I can't find any detailed info? I understand that the CS dipstick can be fitted - but I don't have it. What parts will I need to buy, I'm presuming this but anything else?
Any help will be greatly appreciated as we're off to the South of France in a couple of weeks in it.

colinthefox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote colinthefox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 20 at 23:35

You need to drill the engine block in the same place the dipstick is fitted in the CS. That means you'll have to take quite a few bits off to do it. I should imagine it's a bit tricky in situ. Clamp something under the casting so you don't snap the drill when it breaks through.
1.9D AEF T3 Kamper

All sorts of other oil burners too.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote colinthefox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 20 at 23:39
Oh......and you'll need the CS dipstick, and tube, and the O ring that goes between the tube and block. You'll have to cut the old fixing of the tube and fit some other sort of bracket or clip to fix the tube to the alternator bolt.
1.9D AEF T3 Kamper

bernard73 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bernard73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 20 at 17:47
Originally posted by colinthefox colinthefox wrote:

Oh......and you'll need the CS dipstick, and tube, and the O ring that goes between the tube and block. You'll have to cut the old fixing of the tube and fit some other sort of bracket or clip to fix the tube to the alternator bolt.

Thanks for the help Colin, I'll give it a go. Just a couple of other points? The cut-away diagram you've drawn of the hole you've drilled, it doesn't look like it goes into the sump (but obviously does) so where does the backing block go?
Also how much oil does it now take including the filter and is the dipstick automatically the right length (and how high up is the mark?).
I've not got a CS engine to compare with so do I just need to remove the injection pump and the boss is visible?

Sorry about all of the questions  :)
bernard73 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bernard73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 20 at 19:35
edit:

Just had a look at the injection pump - there's no way I feel confident enough to remove that Confused

But, does it have to come off? Is this the boss that needs to be drilled? If it is I think I should be able to get at it with the oil filter & mounting removed?

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinthefox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 20 at 21:54
Yes, that's the boss you have to drill. Try not to remove the oil filter housing because it will almost certainly leak when you put it back.

If you drill exactly to that diagram you should end up with the dipstick reading the same as the old CS engine. 4.5 litres from empty including oil filter should take you to the full mark. If it's a lot different with the correct mount of oil in just add a small centre punch mark in the right place to remind you.
1.9D AEF T3 Kamper

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote colinthefox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 20 at 21:57
Once you have the sump off you will see exactly where the backing block goes. There's a large flat area where you'll be breaking through. Measure twice, three times, four times, drill once!
1.9D AEF T3 Kamper

bernard73 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bernard73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 20 at 09:24

Once you have the sump off you will see exactly where the backing block goes. There's a large flat area where you'll be breaking through. Measure twice, three times, four times, drill once!

Thanks Colin, I think I'll give this a go later in the week (just ordered the parts from Brickwerks). If I remove the sump will I have to get a new gasket? Also, is it really necessary to blank off the original dipstick hole, this could be a bit of a pain with the engine in situ?

Also when drilling, could I drill the 10mm hole first then countersink it with this? 

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinthefox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 20 at 11:22
Originally posted by bernard73 bernard73 wrote:

Will I have to get a new gasket?

Yes. I think the rubber gasket without windage tray is best.

Is it really necessary to blank off the original dipstick hole?

Yes. All the oil will fall out if you don't. I suppose if the original dipstick is still there you could have an engine with two dipsticks. There's a risk that someone will trust the wrong dipstick and grossly overfill the engine.

When drilling, could I drill the 10mm hole first then countersink it with this? 

Unlikely to work I think. If you try it that way round and it doesn't work, you're a bit stuffed, aren't you? The 12mm hole needs to be accurate to seal on the O ring.
1.9D AEF T3 Kamper

bernard73 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bernard73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 20 at 13:08

Will I have to get a new gasket?

Yes. I think the rubber gasket without windage tray is best.

Is it really necessary to blank off the original dipstick hole?

Yes. All the oil will fall out if you don't. I suppose if the original dipstick is still there you could have an engine with two dipsticks. There's a risk that someone will trust the wrong dipstick and grossly overfill the engine.

When drilling, could I drill the 10mm hole first then countersink it with this? 

Unlikely to work I think. If you try it that way round and it doesn't work, you're a bit stuffed, aren't you? The 12mm hole needs to be accurate to seal on the O ring.

Cheers again Colin. I will eventually get round to blanking off the original dipstick, I just needed to know that it's ok as is for now Smile

bernard73 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bernard73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 20 at 18:07
Forgot to update. Cheers Colin, followed your instructions and it worked perfectly, got down to the South of France and back. Used a bit of oil so the dipstick came in handy Wink
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinthefox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 20 at 17:57
Thumbs Up
1.9D AEF T3 Kamper

Post Reply Post Reply