The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Exhaust manifold and turbo removal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitawagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 10 at 15:49
Just as an update as far as I'm concerned, having had my van in for a once over at an independent garage it seems that my old skool crappy manifold is in fact in primo condition!EmbarrassedApprove This has finally brought a smile to my face!

However, as people correctly pointed out the puff of black smoke generated by maually closing the EGR valve (which I had) does indeed indicate an exhaust manifold related problem, but luckily for me it turned out just to be the gasket which has been blowing heavily and has deposited a whole lot of soot back there around cylinders 1 and 2 apparently. The new gasket arrives tomorrow along with one also for the turbo which had to be removed during the process.

A knock on of all this is that I am no longer in dire need of the PPtuning SS manifold (due around January time I am led to believe), however, I can imagine still being tempted once it does arrive along with their decat setup etc. LOL

Cheers

Edited by Kitawagon - 06 Nov 10 at 07:36
2004 LWB 2.5 AXD 130hp, K&N Filter, Allard EGR Pipe and Oil Breather Tank....
mistadave View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mistadave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 10 at 17:30
For anyone interested I have heard back from Jason at PPT http://www.performancepipesandtuning.com/ who i send my old manifold to a month or so ago.

He has a manifold design ready to go without the EGR pipe elbow and made of mild steel as he says this will last better than a stainless one. He will make them in batches of 5 at a time and the first lot can be done in January, the price will be £280 including UK delivery.

Cheaper than the VW one and almost certainly a shed load better!

contact ppandtuning@googlemail.com or 01507 611088
55 reg 174 LWB raven blue camper. Celtic remap, pipercross filter, MIJ de-cat and exhaust, Forge intercooler, Allard EGR powerpipe and oil catch tank
Liquidfreak View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 11 at 13:18
Dave, is there any word on this PPT manifold?
Thanks
2004 VW T5 Panel Van T30 2.5 130 AXD Engine
mistadave View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mistadave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 11 at 12:38
They were ready to order, as long as there were 5 people wanting them at least a load would be made this month.

I'm not waiting for one myself - I got a new VW one with my warranty direct cover and just donated my old one to PPT so they could make a better one.
55 reg 174 LWB raven blue camper. Celtic remap, pipercross filter, MIJ de-cat and exhaust, Forge intercooler, Allard EGR powerpipe and oil catch tank
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 11 at 12:53

I read this on another forum regarding the PPT replacement manifolds:

Phoned them also- they havnt got any ready until mid/late Jan. Bloke i spoke to sounds very knowledgable. He also said that he can make one in stainless if that is what you really want, but there is really no need + mild is more suited to the job.

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
maderdog_1024 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maderdog_1024 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 11 at 17:40
Hello, Im removing my manifold just now and have became stuck at removing one of the lower turbo bolts.

What is the best way to remove this ? 

Cheers

Mike
Liquidfreak View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 11 at 17:46
I am envious of you for getting past the exhaust!
2004 VW T5 Panel Van T30 2.5 130 AXD Engine

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maderdog_1024 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 11 at 17:49
Originally posted by Liquidfreak Liquidfreak wrote:

I am envious of you for getting past the exhaust!

many many swear words later !! 

i have all the multispline bolts off apart from one on the bottom of the turbo.

horrible engine to work on. 
Jason Statham View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Statham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 11 at 20:30
Hi Folks, I have successfully done my turbo op, finished it on christmas eve but haven't had the time to put together write up and pics. sorry.
The manifold did weld with a mig, it does look like the sort of material that doesn't weld easily but it welded nice.
On the face of the manifold there is a web between pot 3 and 4 like a brace directly behind the EGR transfer pipe mount. I cut a piece out of mine about 10mm wide and guess what the deformation of the manifold went! I don't know why but it did. there was that much tension on this that when the hacksaw went through the other side it gripped the blade so tight it snapped and I had to pull the manifold in a vice to release the blade! I also noticed that the gasket manifold and head align very poorly so i chopped the gasket across  the bridging gap so it allowed the gasket to line up better. The process of refitting the manifold and turbo is so much easier than taking it all apart for the first time so don't panic.
I have also had deep conversations about my rebuilding of Turbo and had a lot of help from a firm up North and I feel this is worth noting. All the components of the turbo can be got hold of including the actuator for the VGVs. They are easy to strip and rebuild. Here comes the JayLow its a BIG BUT..... you are goint to get stinking black doing these jobs! One of the things that I found out is unless you take the charge air pipes out and they're full of oil,( a bits ok)  or the blades are running on the case don't take it apart!
Since I have done it I reconnected my EGR valve as I think the increased combustion chamber temp increased the warpage of the manifold the crack got a lot worse very quick as well!
When you do any of this be very wary of dropping crap onto the lower turbo mount as this is the oil feed for the turbo and also a direct access to the sump! dont drop any nuts down there!

Make sure that when you assemble the whole shooting match you leave the fresh air inlet pipe for the turbo off and get someone to help you with the next bit. If you leave the inlet off the turbo you can see the compressor wheel and the nut that holds it all together. If you hold this firmly while your assistant turns the ignition the van will start if you hold the nut you will stop the turbo spinning. The reason you do this is simple. The oil pressure from the engine is feeding the turbo passages and effectively bleeding it all through. Let her run for about a minute and it will be purged, then let go of the wheel nut and away she will spin. You will feel resistance while you do this so don't let your mate rev it as you will get a load of red come out of the exhaust. (blood and finger ends!) after they've been through the entire engine system!Confused

Hopefully I will finish my write up and find a way of getting the pics small enough to upload! it will be quite a boring read but helpful i hope.
If it's got tits or wheels it's gonna give ya grief..... if it has both it'll be the death of ya!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maderdog_1024 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 11 at 20:38
any ideas how to remove the lower turbo bolts ?! 
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 11 at 20:47
Originally posted by Jason Statham Jason Statham wrote:

Hopefully I will finish my write up and find a way of getting the pics small enough to upload! it will be quite a boring read but helpful i hope.

I can resize them if you like....

Kitawagon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitawagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 11 at 21:09
Good effort Jason. Do you have an AXD or AXE engine? If AXD (130) what was the make of your turbo?  KKK or Garret?
2004 LWB 2.5 AXD 130hp, K&N Filter, Allard EGR Pipe and Oil Breather Tank....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maderdog_1024 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 11 at 23:48
Hi Guys, I managed to get the manifold and turbo off the van this morning.  

I have a crack on cyl 2 and cyl 1 is warped.

£375 inc vat later and i have new manifold and gaskets to fit in the morning.

My van is a T30 130bhp 4motion, but has had a chip/remap and is 180ish 

Dealer suggested that the re-map is the cause ?

Edited by maderdog_1024 - 05 Jan 11 at 23:51
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 11 at 18:20

Nah!  I did post about that a while back but there were unchipped engines doing the same thing. 

2004 2.5 174
jaxo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaxo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 11 at 13:50
Hey guys,

I recently bought a Multivan and am starting to get a little worried. I noticed that the whole of my engine bay was full of black soot and just assumed that it must have a cracked manifold but no one here has mentioned a whole lot of soot Confused.

Next time I might take a closer look. Fool.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 11 at 14:07
Hi Jaxo

Leaking exhaust gases from anywhere will leave a sooty residue - have you any of the other symptoms normally associated with leaking exhaust plumbing ie "ticking" sound, smell in the cab etc?

The Transporter View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 11 at 14:46
Yeah, mine is pretty sooty.... Don't even think about looking at your pollen filterConfused
2004 174bhp AXE engine..... Belligerence has been confirmed.
vwt5beast View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vwt5beast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 11 at 23:48
hi everyone i think i have the same problem aswell, i have a t5 130 auto with dpf delete and remap done by pendle. Recently ive had heavy exhaust fumes in the cab since winter and just got it repaired and it was the gasket between the turbo and exhaust because the mechanic did a smoke test and the smoke came out of there. So with new gaskets it was ok for about 2 weeks then the fumes came back again, so got smoke test done again but cant see no leaks and when i bought it about 2 years ago i noticed some black soot marks on top of the heat shield of the exhaust manifold next to the airbox side and just below the heat shield there are small pieces of black charcoal like carbon soot deposits lying around near the first port (airbox side) but never thought of why at that time.  So does that mean my gasket is leaking or exhaust manifold? my t5 was made in sept 2006 so it should have the cast iron exhaust manifold which shouldnt crack or warp or am i wrong? the power is still there (not holding back too much as before and fuel economy is abouT3mpg but could be better but i put it down to the fumes coming inside so there is a leak but cant see it where the soot is.  Can anyone help with their expertise plz? thanks

stiggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 12 at 19:23
Hello all.. 
Well it seems my '56'reg 2.5 130 has developed the same problem Unhappy..
I get the fluttering sound when accelerating and fumes in the cab. After reading pages and pages of reports on this and many other forums it sounds like a very common fault. I think in most cases the cracks appear right by the welds.
We have a very experienced engineer at work and he informs me the best welding would be 'tig'. 
I am going to attempt the torrettes inducing task of removing my manifold and getting as many of the original welds ground down and then re-welded with 'tig' .. If this is successful I will be sure to let you guys know. 
I guess I may be in a envious position as this will only cost me my own time but even if its a days labour at cost it may be a cheaper option for some of you.
Ade   
If it's got tits or tyres it's trouble..
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 12 at 20:46
Welcome Stiggy. Smile  And good luck with the welding! It does depend on how bad yours is but on most I've seen the surrounding metal is too thin rather than a nice thin crack you could weld up.  Let us know how it goes.  Smile 
2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>