The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Exhaust manifold and turbo removal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richlowndes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 10 at 12:14
Just to let you know, I've just rung MIJ and the manifold isn't ready yet. He said to ring back in three of four weeks but I have to say, nothing sounded too promising. They haven't made jigs yet or done any testing.
Rich
mistadave View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mistadave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 10 at 12:43
I called them on Monday and was asked to call back on Saturday when the guy in charge of this was back from holiday.

despite what they have said ill call them back then to keep the pressure on ;) Luckily my repair is still holding.

I might have to spend my money on a bigger intercooler in the mean time!
55 reg 174 LWB raven blue camper. Celtic remap, pipercross filter, MIJ de-cat and exhaust, Forge intercooler, Allard EGR powerpipe and oil catch tank
mistadave View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mistadave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 10 at 20:53
Boooo! I spoke too soon, just checked under the bonnet and although there is no ticking noise yet there are black marks where it has been leaking again. It just lasted a trip to wales and the alps pretty much. Might have to see if anyone else does a manifold for it.

Anyone know what stainless steel manifold is in german?!
55 reg 174 LWB raven blue camper. Celtic remap, pipercross filter, MIJ de-cat and exhaust, Forge intercooler, Allard EGR powerpipe and oil catch tank
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 10 at 21:21
2004 2.5 174
richlowndes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richlowndes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 10 at 22:43
Well. I tried the gun gum today and it has reduced the fluttering sound a bit, but not completely. Funnily enough, the other sound has not reduced at all. It's a sort of deep engine noise. At first I thought it was because of the manifold but now I'm not so sure. It's also more noticeable at lower revs. Any ideas anyone?

I think I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and get the manifold replaced at a cost of £730!!!
At least the VW one will have a 2 year warranty.

Let me know if you find a s/s one.

Rich
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 10 at 10:58

Hi Rich, on the 'strange engine noise' thread The Loon was speculating about the EGR being open at the wrong time making the noise.  And I reckon he could be right and it's possible yours could be similar.  I noticed on mine if you use VCDS to 'pulse' the EGR once a second or so through its full range with the engine idling you can hear a deep note as the EGR opens each time.

It's worth taking it off and checking it's not stuck open.  Or check it eaisily with VCDS.  You will need to find someone with a genuine version because I don't think the fleabay ones will support that function.   
2004 2.5 174
Liquidfreak View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 10 at 12:01
Ok on a rough count there is 6 of us that want an SS manifold. Has anyone tried other manifold manufacturers? Just been looking at JP exhausts down in Macclesfield who do custom manifolds in batches of 10 or singular. I am not sure if anyone has experience with this company but I will add a thread on the t3 section as they seem to be suppling to them already for several years.  
2004 VW T5 Panel Van T30 2.5 130 AXD Engine
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 10 at 12:33
I may be interested as I can hear a "ticking" sound when first started which goes away as the van heats up

Or maybe its a bomb?Big smile

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 10 at 12:59
good good.....I had already counted you as a maybe LOL
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 10 at 13:06
How many with blowing manifolds have blanked EGR's?  I wonder if the higher exhaust gas temps are distorting the manifolds?
2004 2.5 174
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 10 at 13:29
I have a blanked EGR but my manifold was blowing before that.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 10 at 14:42
Bangs goes that theory then LOL

It's just that I saw an original manifold on a bench off a 130 that had 180k on it and it was perfect, I was wondering what is causing these to fail.  It looks like some kind of heat warping to me. 

The other odd thing was that this one looked like a rock solid cast iron manifold, not like the one Happy yellow bought which he says didn't look up to the job from new.  I know Happy Yellow lives in Latvia but why was his new manifold £300 when everyone here is getting quoted £700?  Rupert? 

I have a couple of pics of the 180k manifold.  Sorry only crappy phone pics.

2004 2.5 174
mistadave View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mistadave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 10 at 14:52
I've already emails JP exhausts last night and they got back to me this morning asking for some pictures so they could give a rough quote. I did some searches on them and they have a lot of good feedback Thumbs Up

I'm happy for my van to be a guinea pig but I'm not sure when i would be able to get up to macclesfield for a day for them to work on it, any other volunteers?

T5: interesting point, mine is remapped and egr blanked. As I've said before i want to git an EGT gauge once i get the new manifold to keep an eye on temps. there is no way I'm going back to an un remapped, non egr blanked van!
mistadave View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mistadave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 10 at 15:00
Ahh i started writing that before your last post! Mine has definitely warped with the heat as when i loosened the bolts off the flange pulled away from the block.

Mine looks more like yellows, not like your picture, as far as i can see the flanges are a lot thicker on your picture for a start. 

Also I think £300 ish was quoted as the cost of the manifold, whereas £730 was quoted as the cost including fitting.

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 10 at 15:09
I am actually down that way next weekend (28th) could go down a day before and get it done.... dependant on price obviously. I guess the only problem with a batch of them is the different engine designs. Not sure I have Etka anymore so can't look it up.... anyone?
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 10 at 15:26
For info the manifold in the pics is off an '08 BNZ engine.
2004 2.5 174
mistadave View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mistadave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 10 at 16:09
i think someone else said the codes were the same for the 130 and 174, the dealer checked and it had always been the same code? Not sure though as the newer ones have egr coolers so that might make a difference - not that anyone would want a way to attach an egr pipe to a replacement manifold would they?

I'm also assuming that there is no one wanting a manifold that has the 1.9, only the proper engines Big smile

Interestingly i was also considering taking next friday off to go up there - maybe we could do a brick-yard manifold day!
mistadave View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mistadave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 10 at 16:17
does anyone here have this problem with a BNZ engine, or anything after 2006 with the electronic egr and egr cooler?

It would explain it all, the new manifold isn't compatible with the older engines because it has a different egr fitting, so thats why happy yellows dealer didn't have an alternative code. But they have obviously improved the ones on the newer engines because of the older ones cracking.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 10 at 16:18
Just trying to get one of my PCs to run Etka (found it) just wishing it worked on the Mac because it would have been done by now! will look up the differences in the Manifolds. It is interesting that the 1.9 hasn't shown any problems....... apart from that they are slow. Big smile
JP are getting good reviews in the Arms so looks like it could be a good idea. 
mistadave View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mistadave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 10 at 16:35
you could try https://erwin.volkswagen.de/erwin/showHome.do, its the online version, you pay per hour of use. I might have a look after i finish work
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>