The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Exhaust manifold and turbo removal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Yellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 10 at 14:23
Originally posted by mistadave mistadave wrote:

GOOD NEWS!!!

MIJ are going to develop one in august as they have had a few people ask them for one, ive just put my name down for one. It will cost about £350 for a full stainless t-304 manifold and if their exhausts are anything to go by it will be top quality and have a lifetime guarantee.

I'm sure mine will be fine until then so I'm going to sit tight and hope for the best. Maybe I can use exhaust tape as a temporary fix?

Also you mention the metallic ticking noise, but I always thought that it was the injectors, and you hear it more when cold because they are injecting more fuel. I notice it most just before the turbo kicks in (and drowns out the noise!). I'll maybe try the exhaust tape fix and see if it stops the noise.

Cheers

Dave

That sounds good... it's a shame I need one now!

I expect anything you can do to restrict the blowing will extend the life of the manifold.  Could you get the crack at the non-air-box end welded in situ?  Mine has been blowing for ages - it's quite a bit worse than yours, so hopefully yours will last until the MIJ item arrives.

I'm fairly sure about the metallic ticking - it sounds like one thing, rather than 5 injectors.  I'll report back when I've had the manifold replaced.

2005 Sari Yellow Caravelle 174/AXE 200k miles
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 10 at 19:21
i did one of these today at work and it was only blowing at the turbo flange, it appeared to be warped slightly...the turbo that is not the manifold! filed it flat and its ok for noe at least.
The Transporter View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 10 at 01:22
I'd be up for a stainless manifold too.. Mine has been leaking for ages, I have the ticking noise at speed, I guess that it is the sound of the exhaust gases being forced out of the crack on the exhaust stroke but at lower speeds the manifold screeches... It is getting worse and is quite embarrassing as the screech is starting to turn heads as I drive by... Been trying to get hold of a second hand manifold to have it welded and swap it over one week end but there seems to be none about 
2004 174bhp AXE engine..... Belligerence has been confirmed.
mistadave View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mistadave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 10 at 08:06
I see what you mean about the ticking, didn't think about it that way - it certainly isnt fast enough to be all the injectors.

I'm probably going to order some quicksteel thermosteel cold weld paste - they say it is good for exhaust manifolds and up to 1350 degrees c so should hopefully hold seeing as it is on the outside and its a small crack. As long as it last till august thats great.

Hopefully we can do a group buy, although since they don't know how much it will cost exactly yet they probably would be able to give any discount figures. However if everyone lists their interest here I'll call them and discuss - more demand may speed up its development :)

Dave
55 reg 174 LWB raven blue camper. Celtic remap, pipercross filter, MIJ de-cat and exhaust, Forge intercooler, Allard EGR powerpipe and oil catch tank
Happy Yellow View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Yellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 10 at 12:42
Would a bodge with exhaust Gun Gum work?  You may be able to hold it in place over the crack with a jubilee clip.

Edited by Happy Yellow - 22 Jun 10 at 14:29
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Yellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 10 at 14:26
Originally posted by Happy Yellow Happy Yellow wrote:

Would a bodge with exhaust Gun Gum work?  You may be able to hold it in place over the crack with a jubilee clip.

Sorry.  Made a mistake and can't delete it! Angry

Edited by Happy Yellow - 22 Jun 10 at 14:34
mistadave View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mistadave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 10 at 14:39
I ordered this stuff: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quiksteel-Tmermosteel-Exhaust-Repair-kit/dp/B001C6A2KO should get it in the post today.

I looked at all the repair gum, putty and wraps in halfords but none were designed to go much above 300 degrees, whereas the manifold can get to 800.

Will see how well this other stuff works.
55 reg 174 LWB raven blue camper. Celtic remap, pipercross filter, MIJ de-cat and exhaust, Forge intercooler, Allard EGR powerpipe and oil catch tank
mistadave View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mistadave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 10 at 09:04
The pictures i took make it look big and quite easy to get to - i fooled myself!

There are some oil/coolant pipes that make it a pain. and also discovered there are three cracks on that drive side port. The one on the top which i showed before, but also one down the outside edge in the middle, between the stainless looking bit and the cast bit, and also on the bottom, in the same place as it it on the top.

Now it looks to me that the manifold doesn't fit properly, when the nuts are off the base of it doesn't sit against the block, and the cracks have formed from the stress of it being pulled towards it by the nuts. I've now got to try and get this stuff in three places, let it set of 24 hours, some of that with a hair dryer on it, and then a further setting with the engine idling for 20 mins.

August can't come soon enough!

Dave
mistadave View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mistadave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 10 at 23:21
Well i attacked it with quiksteel, which was a pain to get on properly in such a confined space. I managed to get a reasonable amount on there with a flat blade and cured it with a hot air gun and left it overnight. it wasn't quite as thick as I would have liked as it was too runny, so went and got some holts gun cum as happy yellow suggested. This normally won't do for manifolds because of the heat, but i figured that the quicksteel would stop and hot exhaust gasses getting to it, so it should be ok.

Spread a generous dollop of that around and set it again with hot air. Ran the engine for a while to check it was ok and drove round the block. Haven't driven it hard yet so don't know if the performance has improved, but straight away noticed that it was quieter without the ticking noise which obviously was the gas escaping from the cracks before.

Hopefully it should last at least until august and the shiny stainless manifold arrives!
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Yellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 10 at 15:03
Here's my failed exhaust manifold.  The new one (£300) looked to be of no better quality, so I expect it will fail fairly soon! Angry

It must have been under some stress, as the cracks were nearly all the way around.  Also, the gasket had failed:

On the bright side mistadave, mine ran for ages (around 30k miles) before I had it replaced.

The metallic ticking ceased after replacement of the manifold.

All the best, Rupert

Edited by Happy Yellow - 14 Jul 10 at 15:05
mistadave View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mistadave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 10 at 15:15
That does look loads worse than mine! It seems that when it heats up it twists somehow and tries to pull that end port away from the engine block which is why its that one that always goes.

My quicksteel and holts gun gum fix did the job on my recent trip to wales, no more noise and I got better economy and performance. I'll get the stainless one when my fix finally breaks.
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 10 at 18:14
I`m willing to bet my manifold is failing too, I have that metallic noise when cold, and becomes less noticable when warmed up (metal expands and seals better I imagine)

Mistadave can you quantify how much more performance/economy your fix unlocked?

Its looking like a stainless manifold is required for me too - this van is a total money pit!

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
mistadave View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mistadave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 10 at 21:53
it wasn't an amazing change, just noticed slightly less turbo lag and maybe slightly more umph when revving it higher, but maybe that was just mental because i couldnt hear the whistle anymore when ragging it? I had been averaging about 33 mpg before the fix and have done 35 since. Again this could all be just coincidence, but it makes sense if you are wasting exhaust pressure to drive the turbo.

This is actually the first thing that has gone wrong with my t5 so far, since ive owned it at least. Still need to get round to asking if warranty direct will contribute to it, if they do i think i will extend my policy another year.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 10 at 22:23

it wasn't an amazing change, just noticed slightly less turbo lag and maybe slightly more umph when revving it higher, but maybe that was just mental because i couldnt hear the whistle anymore when ragging it? I had been averaging about 33 mpg before the fix and have done 35 since. Again this could all be just coincidence, but it makes sense if you are wasting exhaust pressure to drive the turbo.

Makes sense, strangely 33MPG is what my van averages right now too (calculated over a tankful)

This is actually the first thing that has gone wrong with my t5 so far, since ive owned it at least. Still need to get round to asking if warranty direct will contribute to it, if they do i think i will extend my policy another year.

Lucky you, wish I could say thatCry Mine has been a money pit, but when its going properly - WOW!Big smile

I`d be curious to know how you get on with your warranty as I have considered it many times but worried it may well be one of those "Too good to be true" scenariosConfused

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Yellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 10 at 08:49
I think my fuel consumption improved after the manifold replacement.  At the weekend I did a gentle Embarrassed 250 mile drive which returned 38.5 MPG Shocked Embarrassed according to the MFD (which tends to be pretty accurate if driving style is constant).  It's the best consumption I've seen for a long time.  It was during hot weather (34 deg. C) also, which would have made consumption higher if anything.

After that, I blocked off the EGR thing, so future fuel consumption figures may be helped by this also.

Anyway, the van runs much better since the manifold replacement.  Part may be down to the mental thing (mistadave), but not all.

T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 10 at 18:28
It's odd that not all manifolds seem as bad as Happy Yellows despite high milages.  The warping looks so bad you would think someone bolted it up mis-located.  

I saw one on a bench today (along with a cylinder head and just about the most worn cam and followers I have ever seen!) and it looked fine.  Just the usual surface rust from the heat.  And this one belongs to a taxi firm with 180k on the clock!  They are having a set of injectors while it's all out.  @ £400 each! Ouch
2004 2.5 174
brownster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 10 at 21:07
Mistadave... has your manifold arrived yet??
T32 140 Kombi Facelift Metallic Natural Grey
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 10 at 21:08
Originally posted by brownster brownster wrote:

Mistadave... has your manifold arrived yet??

Yes, good point Brownster, I might need one too but I`ll let Mistadave be the "guinea pig" before commiting myselfLOL

brownster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 10 at 21:25
I'm surprised that its not a safety issue.. exhaust fumes entering the cab space due to a manufacturing defect.. mine stinks when i start up and goes once warm or start moving.. might explain why i overboost sometimes (apart from sticky vanes)

Have had van up on a ramp to see how easy a job it can be... need longer and thinner arms, looks impossible
T32 140 Kombi Facelift Metallic Natural Grey
mistadave View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mistadave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 10 at 23:03
I emailed mij the other day but haven't heard back yet, I'll give them a call on monday. I would guess that the problem manifolds have been exposed to higher sustained EGTs and that's why they have warped and cracked, perhaps due to the remaps. I think it said something on erwin about checking for a remap if there is a warranty claim for a cracked manifold.

Anyway, my bodged repair is still holding and I'll fit an egt sensor in the new one - not that it cause any problem to the new one, more to keep an eye on the turbo.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>