The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT2 and sprinter forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

excessive oil consumption/burning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prgservices Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: excessive oil consumption/burning
    Posted: 26 Aug 15 at 15:59
Hi all I'm new to forum speaking and usually happy with the advice from my longstanding mechanic, but after many visits we are both baffled by the cause of the problem (excessive oil burning/consumption).

I have owned VW vans for the last ten years and have some knowledge but need help with this one please :-)

My VW crafter 2.5 TDI 2008 plate, I run my vans for work/work horse, the mileage is two hundred and twenty two thousand. When I first purchased my van I put a cambelt on it, two months after a complete new gear box, then the engine management light came on so I changed the DPF filter completely all the way through, then when plugging the computer up to the engine the management light would not go off and said I had a problem with glowplug four but one of my pals had the same sort of problem and took it to VW and he still had same problem so VW change it on my pals van but after a week the light came back on so VW refunded him the cost and said it was probably a faulty censor but they could not find the problem.... so I never changed MY glowplug four for this reason, now getting back to my van, I have driven around with the engine management light on and then had problems with the DPF and it cracked inside and totally destroyed it so I got a brand new DPF under warranty and now I am burning around two pints of oil a day and I drive roughly two/three hundred miles a day.
I have had the pipe into the turbo intake off to check the oil it was dry and the seals were fine, now my van drives fine but I am burning oil and can also smell it in the cab, without going deep into the engine and changing the piston ring seals etc. has anyone else had this problem?? because I have spent so much money and really do not want to keep spending if its not worth it.
Thanks.
really!
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 15 at 17:49
220K miles. Sounds like your bottom end is failing? Piston rings or glazed or damaged bores or both.....

:( if it's not the turbo and it's not leaking out then it can only really be the bottom end? Unless it's valve stem seals but I don't think they can let that much oil through them and if they were you'd be having seriously smokey cold starts!

I would do a compression test and that should give you a clearer idea of what's going on?
wheresthatgonenow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheresthatgonenow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 15 at 23:07
this seems to be a common problem with these crafters, owners saying high oil consumption but no leaks, none have come back with positive answers for the cure or have not bothered posting what was found, but, the milage is not high trust me, get your mechanic to do as already said above  (compression test)
there was a turbo recall some time back as a seal at the front was failing but dont think it applied to the 109`s dont know what yours is, ask at a vw dealer they will give you the turbo numbers that it related too, got to ask, but is the right oil being used, not teaching you to suck eggs but it is important for these dpf`s if you want them to last (had close to 300,000) out of my sprinter one (same shape as crafter) before i got rid of it, have the egr checked, is any oil going through the intercooler as fine mist when hot, last thing have you had van from new, if not dpf delete is becoming common now and ecu is reprogramed, its not legal for road use but is being done if you see what i mean, no help to you but i am so glad i did`nt buy one of these and brought the sprinter due to a good discount, but like you i still have a lt i have had from new with not a spot of trouble
prgservices View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prgservices Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 15 at 18:20
Hi, thanks for the replies,
I use the correct oil ( Syn plus, fully synthetic for VAG vehicle 5W-30 ) I will get my mechanic to do a compression test as mentioned as he has only done a visual but he is a good mechanic if you get what I mean, no I didn't get my van from new, THE DPF filter was the original and I have also changed it for an original too.
I have just spoken to my mechanic of 8 years and he has just informed me that his compression component/unit does not work on my crafter and I just asked my other garage if they had done a compression test when they had it in their garage for three weeks and they said they do not know and they will come back to me?!
After telling me I needed new piston rings etc. etc. which will cost me about £2500 ( I thought maybe trying a new mechanic and getting a second thought on my van would be a good idea. Ha! )
really!
Eddy Dar View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eddy Dar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 16 at 10:57
New vans are rubbish, if you tot all the money that you have spent on this newer van, surely you were better of keeping your old van and having :

It professionally resprayed with rust treatment if required ?

The engine rebuilding properly - if required?

Stick to the old stuff much much better.

Edited by Eddy Dar - 07 Mar 16 at 10:58
 Post Reply Post Reply