The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine temp light

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian865 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine temp light
    Posted: 04 Dec 16 at 18:49
Hi, I need help with my t5,

I have been loosing coolant from the expansion tank, I had my van into an independent garage for a diagnosis and that lead to thermostats change, water pump change(which meant cam belt change) with no joy. Coolant was still being lost and temp light on dash would come on from cold start.
I have now taken it to vw main dealer for diagnosis and have just had the head gasket diagnosed and replaced and told that's was my problem. When I collected van and drove 50 miles noticed the temp gauge had not moved? No along with that the temp light has started flashing as soon as van is started.

Has any one had or heard of this and point me in the right direction for when I go back to the vw tech.

Iain
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 16 at 20:31
have you had a sniff test done on the coolant?

T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 16 at 02:14
which engine and what year, mileage, any other symptoms (particularly weird electrical problems or error codes)  ? 
Ian865 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian865 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 16 at 06:21
1.9 diesel, 56 plate, it's done 148000, no other systems and no error codes that I am aware of
Ian865 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian865 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 16 at 06:23
I'm not too sure, I have to ring the garage to arrange for them to have another look so will ask if a sniff test was done
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 16 at 07:44
What year is a 56 plate ?  (that's why I asked for the year - the British system of plate number = a particular year means nothing to anyone from anywhere else).

Temp light being on straight away sounds odd - how low is the coolant level now ?  I guess if it was very low then both coolant sensors could object.  If it is very low then I'd be cautious about driving too far without a top-up.

It is worthwhile putting a code reader onto your van to see what error codes are currently recorded (if any).

Has the engine oil level gone up ?  That missing coolant must have gone somewhere, and the two most likely places are into the engine sump or out the exhaust.  If it is leaking externally into the engine bay you'd usually notice it, unless it was spraying onto a hot exhaust and evaporating.

Edited by gregozedobe - 05 Dec 16 at 07:46
 Post Reply Post Reply