The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fleabie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Recommendations
    Posted: 26 Mar 18 at 09:09
Hi,

I am trying to decide if "as a rule of thumb" there are some T5 engines to avoid and ones that should be preferential. I am looking to buy a T5 Caravelle. I found some good advice from a couple of people saying whichever engine you get, its going to have more consumables (DMF etc.) than say a T4, and this is just a fact of modern engines on most vehicles.

What I would like to know from any mechanics out there that work on T5s on a regular basis, which are the engines types that are generally speaking "bad news" as opposed to the engines that are on the whole, more reliable.

Sorry, but I am not really after single anecdotal advice like "I've got a 2.0 TDI and its been brilliant", I am after some more generic advice from people who have worked on a range of T5 engines.

Thanks
Bill.
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 18 at 17:03
Early T5 2.5L engines had camshafts and followers that seemed to made of chocolate, not proper hard metal.  Seemed to last in some T5s if given the right oil at the correct intervals, but very prone to wear otherwise (and regardless in some cases).  

The pressed steel exhaust manifolds were prone to cracking.

Variable vane turbos were prone to sticking if driven gently all the time.

Gates couplings should be viewed as a service item, and auto 'boxes need regular ATF changes to keep them working properly.

I'm sure others can chip in with more insights......
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 18 at 08:36
From my reading so far the 1.9 pd engines have the least issues. The newer 2.0tdi has an issue with porous cylinder heads. Then water pumps, EGR valves, dual mass flywheels, drive shafts, DPF units all cause issue. In fact I’ve almosf decided to stick with my old rusty multivan with a 1.9 td!

There’s a long thread on here about T5 gripes.

Edited by ob1 - 27 Mar 18 at 08:37
 Post Reply Post Reply