The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine cutting out problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reabow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine cutting out problem
    Posted: 29 May 19 at 21:33
Last time I was driving home from campsite the campervan 2l petrol lost power for only 1/2 a second  but after another 40 miles or so when nearly home got to a stage of driving in first gear up road to home and kangarooing.
Tested ht coil with meter and it was failing. Fitted new coil and it drives for about 10 minutes and then engine cuts out and doesn't start or only ticks over and then dies if touching accelerator or just stops.
So far replaced the ignition coil, spark plugs, dizzy cap, taken carbs off and cleaned, swapped ht lead from coil, swapped fuel pump. Next day started it drove to petrol station, put fuel in, drove home, parked on driveway. Then would not restart, left for 30 mins then would start but after a while just cut out and not restart. Running out of ideas any suggestions?
danstervan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danstervan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 19 at 22:37
Not 100% sure on petrol models but think they still have a TCI Ignition Module which can fail.
Reabow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reabow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 19 at 22:50
Thanks for the message but quite a while ago this engine was converted back to a 009 distributor with points. I guess because the original ignition equipment had failed and has been removed. It has run on this old type distributor setup for about 10 years. I have also binned the points and installed a powerspark unit at least 7 years ago.
Could it be the powerspark? I have a new one arriving this week.

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danstervan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 19 at 23:46
Not all VW ignition coils are the same. They can have different internal low and high tension resistances for points and electronic setups.
Possibly there is an incompatibility issue. I've no idea what coil the powerspark setup would require.
Reabow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reabow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 19 at 00:07
It has been running for 7 years on a Bosch blue coil and when this failed I replaced it with the same. This coil is suitable with Powerspark.
Reabow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reabow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 19 at 15:35
Thanks for your suggestions.
A new powerspark module fitted today and drove it around for about 30mins, engine smooth with no cutting out when hot. Fingers crossed it's now fixed Smile

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danstervan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 19 at 19:06
Good to hear you've got it sorted.
Just for further on this thread.
Not sure what the powerspark module looks like, but some ignition modules are meant have a heat conducting paste between the module and mounting bracket to help dissipate the heat they generate.

Edited by danstervan - 30 May 19 at 19:07
Reabow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reabow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 19 at 23:41
Yes, with the powerspark you get a small packet of heat conducting white silicon and apply 3 small drops to the baseplate before you screw it into position where the points used to be. In future I think I might carry a set of points and condensor in the toolkit just in case.
 Post Reply Post Reply