The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

engine cover fire !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spike72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: engine cover fire !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted: 28 Oct 07 at 16:41

hi all

first run in van with the girlfriend and kids after doing about 80 miles at averege speed of 60-65 pulled over in layby for a cuppa

we noticed smoke from front grill and flap on engine cover after franticly ripping front seat's and kids out of van and lifting the engine cover i discovered that the engine  cover was on fire, after extinguishing the fire with coffee,milk,herbal tea,and kids squash the enginge was fine apart from a slightly melted bit of plastic from the carb's

on further inspection of engine cover a sound deadening wadding was what cought fire has any one had this happen before also is this wadding standard in all LT's is there somthing else i could use

its a 1990 2.4 6 cyl petrol lt28

Edited by spike72
Poggle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poggle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 07 at 14:28

Hiya Spike. Hope you're over the shock of the fire. 

I have had a look under the engine cover on my LT and yes, there is some wadding stuck onto the inside of the cover. If you are going to pull the wadding off then maybe you could replace it with fire boarding, the stuff they use when fitting gas fires. Not sure what the max temp this stuff can take though.

Have you had the engine temperature warning light repaired yet ?

spike72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spike72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 07 at 15:53

yeh the warning light was just a lose connection

i think with the last 2 owners not looking after the van properly and 17 years of oil,petrol ect soaking in to the sound proofing stuff and a bit of a heavy foot on the accelerator it all got a bit to hot

looking in to some foil backed soundproofing stuff

been driving van to day no probs and drove it over a 100 miles back last night at around 55 mph not at 65-70 as i was when it caught fire so should be ok but gona get carb checked as think its pulling to much fuel throu  the carb

Post Reply Post Reply