The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedElectric Window will not go up!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric Window will not go up!
    Posted: 02 Jan 11 at 04:53
Hi,

I have a 2004 T5 with electric windows/mirrors. The drivers side window has developed a fault, it wont wind up. It will always wind down without problem though.

I have taken everything apart and cant seam to find any problem signs. The glass can be moved up and down with 'reasonable force' ie by gripping the glass by hand and pulling.

When the switch is clicked to pull the window up, there is no click sound from the relay.

Should I take it to a garage to be looked at or should I just buy a new motor/circuit board assembly? The risk being this isnt where the problem is, any ideas?

Thanks again
Alex
VW T5 2004 1.9TDI SURFBUS
Rebuild View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 11 at 06:17
Have you tried bypassing the switch or checking for continuity?
Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI
CrazyCano View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 11 at 07:01
I couldn't figure out which wires to bypass on the switch unit, it has 4 connections. and I'm not sure how this produces the 8 possible signals for the 2 switches (including the half press function)... or should i just bypass each possible combination in turn?

Thanks
Alex
SteK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 11 at 09:13
Window switches are common on these, mine lost it's one touch function then packed up totaly.

New window switch from TPS, not very expensive, job done.
CrazyCano View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 11 at 10:27
I hope it is the window switch as itll be cheaper than the motor assembly... any ideas on how to confirm it is the switch? Ive tried bypassing the switch using a paperclip, the following happens-

1 to 2 = Drivers window goes down
1 to 3 = nothing
1 to 4 = Passengers window goes down
2 to 3 = nothing
2 to 4 = nothing
3 to 4 = nothing

I havent been able to trigger either window to go up using this method....

AlexConfused
SteK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 11 at 14:27
Can't see it being the motor as it powers down so nothing wrong with the motor.

You could take the door card off and unplug the motor then with a power probe or similar power the window up and down to eliminate the motor.

The VAG group window switches aint the most durable things and ive changed a few of them on various VAG vehicles for similar faults
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 11 at 14:38
I stripped a T5 door yesterday and can advise the following:

I suggest you remove the door card - 2 screws behind top handle, 1 screw in middle, 3 screws at bottom and then pop the plastic clips off (the hardest part)

Once its off (it wont come away completely because the internal door handle mechanism is still attached) you can reach in and undo the 3 fixings holding the motor on and remove it from the internal drum which winds up the cables

Once removed (with wires still in place) test the motor operation up/down - I would guess its fine and you have a problem with the control switch or the cables are binding up and restricting the windows movement (the one I looked at yesterday has broken all the plastic clips and mangled the cables around the drum area which made it VERY stiff)

Good luckBig smile

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 11 at 16:36
You could try using the key in the doorlock (turn and hold anticlockwise I think it is)  This triggers the window up signal without using the door switch.  Another possibility is the anti-trap mechanism needs resetting.  Try holding the 'down' button for a few seconds.  Then see if the up button works.  If you are lucky and it does, when the window is fully up, hold the up button for a few seconds also.   

Genearally speaking bridging any switch on a van with a can bus system isn't a good idea unless you are certain what each pole does.  The window controller (which is probably the convenience unit) monitors the windows so if you do happen to accidentally apply 12v to a wire that is expecting a digital signal you could do some expensive damage.  
2004 2.5 174
SteK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 11 at 16:56
"(the one I looked at yesterday has broken all the plastic clips and mangled the cables around the drum area which made it VERY stiff)"

Don't think this will be the case as Alex says it winds down no problem at all.

"Genearally speaking bridging any switch on a van with a can bus system isn't a good idea unless you are certain what each pole does.  The window controller (which is probably the convenience unit) monitors the windows so if you do happen to accidentally apply 12v to a wire that is expecting a digital signal you could do some expensive damage"

Well said that man!

energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 11 at 19:42
Originally posted by SteK SteK wrote:

"(the one I looked at yesterday has broken all the plastic clips and mangled the cables around the drum area which made it VERY stiff)"

Don't think this will be the case as Alex says it winds down no problem at all.

I would still check it, the plastic clips could still be intact but the cables mangled which would cause it to bind up, moreso in the "up" direction as it is also fighting gravity

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
CrazyCano View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 11 at 23:01
T5 TDI, I tried the key turn in the lock and the window did go up! which was a relief.... I guess it can only be the switch or a bad connection/wire... I've taken the door card off, following the instructions above, I have a feeling it wont go on half as easy! I'll use a continuity checker to check the wires, then buy a switch...

Thanks again
Alex
CrazyCano View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 11 at 07:00
FIXED!

Turns out the switch contacts inside the switch were dirty, a quick rub with some cleaner and it all works correctly...

I had to lever (carefully) the back off the switch assembly, which revealed some very delicate switching mechanisms, I can see why they're prone to going wrong!

Anywho, thanks for all your help!

Alex
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 11 at 14:45
Result !  I've heard of people fixing their dodgy cruise control switches by doing much the same (and they were a tad fiddly inside too).
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 11 at 19:01
I've noticed the switch gets a pretty good soaking if you open the window on a rainy day.  I know the switches can suffer so I always dry it off asap but I've left the window wide open in the rain a few times now so it won't surprise me if I have the same trouble with the dreaded green stuff at some point.  Glad you sorted it. Smile
2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply