The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EGT probe location on JX manifold

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EGT probe location on JX manifold
    Posted: 12 Apr 18 at 23:55
While I have it out I'm going to tap a hole and put a EGT thermocouple in there.  What's the best location for it?  Does this look reasonable:

jx manifold
'90 T3 Bluestar
akw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 18 at 00:01
I'm not a big fan of gauges.  So the plan is to hook it up to an Arduino microcontroller, using this:

and drive a little OLED display like this one:

If that goes well, I'll add some more stuff to it. 
'90 T3 Bluestar
clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 18 at 09:56
Originally posted by akw akw wrote:

While I have it out I'm going to tap a hole and put a EGT thermocouple in there.  What's the best location for it?  Does this look reasonable:

jx manifold

New replacement manifolds from Brickwerks look to have a thicker section in that area, presumably to allow a threaded hole to be formed to take an EGT thermocouple.
1988 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker syncro
akw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 18 at 11:57
That's a good point.  There may not be enough meat on there for a decent thread.  Sounds like this needs welding, but given my time constrains I may have to give it a pass in this case.  Thought it's just a simple tap a hole jobbie.

Edited by akw - 17 Apr 18 at 11:57
'90 T3 Bluestar
clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 18 at 12:59
I'd also be interested to know about the thickness of the manifold as an EGT gauge is on the to-do list for our van.
1988 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker syncro
dave friday View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dave friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 18 at 23:25
I drilled and tapped in that position ,works ok.
1992 1.6td syncro
akw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 18 at 00:45
In the end I had a go at it earlier and it's fine :-)

Enough meat there for 5 threads:

And the finished item:

I started with a small drill and worked my way up to 8.7. Then taped with 1/8-27 NTP tap.  I'm using a standard k-type thermocouple from ebay.

'90 T3 Bluestar
dave friday View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 18 at 08:04
Yes that's what I did,the first thermocouple failed after 6 months! The readings are a bit alarming (800 deg c ) up hill top gear foot to the floor!
1992 1.6td syncro
 Post Reply Post Reply