FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedebber d2 help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Topic: ebber d2 help
    Posted: 19 Dec 09 at 16:30
ok guys and gals, dont know if this is in the right place but here goes anyway.

just fitted a airtronic d2 ex bt heater with 7 day timer and it wont even try to start. managed to get a specific wiring diagram for the timer and i think  its wired correctly but i`m struggling to get anymore more info. i even rang my local ebber agent today thinking tip the cash and get it working only to be told the guys not there today.

when i flick the start button i get a little click like a relay powering up and then the 60 miniute counter starts counting down but nowt else. after 3 min`s or so i switch the heater off and the little click occurs again and it indicates its off.

so does anyone have any suggestions. i need to know if these heaters lock out really, if the fault codes can be accessed with my timer and what the start up test is all about.

posted up on 80-90 too so there`s a bit of info there which i`ve been through.

cheers lee.
Zebedee View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 09 at 17:51
Send me a PM with your email address and i'll send you the manual and troubleshooting and repair guides for the D2 and 7 day timer. I've got them all as pdf files.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 09 at 19:24
I assumed you already had them!
..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 09 at 01:36
rick, thanks for the info so far.
ok maybe i`m having a blonde moment but i can`t see anything on any of the documents that i`ve found or that people have kindly sent me that cover exactly what i`m experiancing. i can`t seem to get any fault codes out of the heater, and some doc`s say that you have to plug in to a expensive diag tool, however i haven`t got the diag loom available. i can see how its supposed to be wired in to the system but do i need to wire the diag plug in and get it on the diag computer or am i missing something about doing the diag via the timer i have.
as i understand it so far. when you turn on the heater the system does a system test, if all`s ok then a start up procedure starts, if the unit fails to start then it gives another chance and if it still fails to start then it insures the system is clear of heat and fumes and starts the close down procedure.
if the start up procedure fails in any way then start up will not occur at all.
this, it seems is what i`m experiancing.
i switch the heater on, i get a light click " relay????" and then i presume the unit sences a fault and refuses to run the start up procedure.
so is this happening as a result of the system sensing a fault, poss defective glow plug or interuption of pump wiring or is the unit locked out as is also mentioned in some text.
i would like to find a deffinate procdure as to how to test if the unit is locked out, if indeed this type of unit has a lock out faze and how to get fault codes and how to test the individual items within the system so that i can methodicaly eliminate certain parts of the system, so far the info that i`ve read hasn`t helped me. my unit is not responding as it should. there must be a reason but atm this reason is not clear.
i will get to the bottom of this even if it takes a visit to the ebber agent but although i`d be happy just to get the bloody thing working i`d also want to know exactly what has gone wrong with this unit and how to diagnose faults in the future as i`m hoping to fit another unit to the other van once this one is sorted so the learning curve is worth the effort in my eyes. it was apparently fine before i got my paws on it which makes me think that for some reason its gone in to lock out " insert stropy machine " mode.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 09 at 02:18

You should just need that blue/white cable to pin 6 on the timer/modulator for the diagnostics. But you had two! ( or was one white/blue?)

You don't need a diagnostic tool - the timer/modulator does that. - the older ones didn't.

You need to check that the glow pin works/resistance is OK using the instructions I sent you. Also that the pump works by touching 12v across the terminals ( whilst disconnected from the heater) Likewise the flame detector ( but you appear to be failing before that point)

Usually you can clear any fault lock out just by removing all power for a while.

The glow pins are very fragile - ceramic - if you have had it out you may have damaged it.

Three main causes of lack of start up are;

low voltage - ensure that you still have 12v whilst the heater is attempting to start - if it drops too low when it calls for heating the glow pin it will shut down.

non-functioning glow pin.

non-functioning pump.

Other problems come later in the sequence.

Zebedee View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 09 at 11:56
The problems you're having sound just like the ones i'm having with my old B1L.
On mine you switch it on, theres a single click from a relay, the fan starts running then 17 seconds or so later the fan stops.
Pump works when pulsed with 12V so thats OK but i'm stumped by everything else.

Only troubleshooting and repair manual i don't have is the B1L one i need.Angry

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 09 at 12:18
That sounds like a dead/dodgy glow plug.
..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 09 at 23:00
thanks rick, a bit of progress tonight the unit is dated 2003 and the 7 day timer only has 4 wires going to it namely red + yellow + brown + grey/red. so no blue white to the timer. i`ve pulled the circuit board and there doesn`t seem to be provision for another wire. i think its safe to say this timer module aint going to give me diag info.

the 2 blue/white wires i have are the same wire just spliced in the loom so im guessing one would go to a timer WITH diag the other to the optional diag plug which i haven`t got but i`m guessing i need.

i think i`ll either need to buy a new timer unit with diag, or wire in a diag plug and pay local agent to diag and reset the unitfor me. in the meantime i`ll run  tests on the glow plug ect and see what comes of that.

thanks all lee.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 09 at 23:51

If you have a 6 pin plug for the timer it should have the diagnostics - pin 6. It would be strange if it hasn't.

Pin 5 is not used.

You don't just have a 4 pin plug do you?

..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 09 at 19:03
i sure do. only 4 pins only for me Cry.

presuming i cant find anything wrong with any of the testable items a new timer may be the best solution.

if i decide to buy a new timer with a 6 wire plug and diagnostic thingy ma jig built in will it work with my main heater. if thats the case then i`ll just get one and i`ll be on my way hopefully. been looking on ebber website and the phone up the van to get warm looks a pucker option. not seen the price yet mind.

lee.

Edited by ..lee.. - 21 Dec 09 at 19:09
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 09 at 20:05

Isn't that the darnedest thing!

I would test out the other components first and get the heater running before investing in a new timer - you will most probably need to sit down before getting the price.

There is one here at £85.75  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EBERSPACHER-7-DAY-TIMER-12V-WITH-FAULT-DIAGNOSIS-AIR-H_W0QQitemZ400092111754QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM?hash=item5d2759238a

I use Webasto heaters - cheaper, cheaper spares and easier to get hold of! (and you can clear/read faults with an obd adapter/reader)

If the ECU has locked out you will need the modulator/timer/diagnosis to unlock it if the removal of all power fails to clear it.

Sorry I haven't been able to help much.

..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 09 at 20:49
you`ve been a big help. without that timer wiring diagram i wouldn`t of realised i was a wire short. as it happens i also have a webasto that needs a bit of fixing so maybe we`ll have a chat about that soon.    Thumbs Up
cheers to all lee.
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 09 at 22:02
lee i got a webasto fitted if you need owt Wink
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 09 at 22:28
I've got 4 fitted and one spare and two on the workbench, any advance on that? Evil Smile
..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 09 at 08:21
no. to big for me.LOL. i`ll throw in a skanky cat and a goldfish to see ya.
Zebedee View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 09 at 11:25
I've managed to sort my B1L out.
The wire that clips onto the glow plug was loose in the connector and not making contact.Big smile

Just need to fit it to my van now.
Chops View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 09 at 18:00
Excellent work Zebedee!

My eber hasn't worked since i got my van... one day I'll attempt to find out what's wrong with it.

It seems the top three Eber failure points are:

Control panel
Glow plug
Pump
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 09 at 20:31

1. Failure to maintain.  

2. Failure to use frequently.

3. Operator error.

Tongue

gibby View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 10 at 17:44
sorry to jump on this one but having the same problem how do i check the glow pin
thanks
gibby View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 10 at 18:08
just checked power at glow pin only got 5 volts is that right
thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply