FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDual mass flywheel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dual mass flywheel
    Posted: 19 May 09 at 18:39
 I know its been covered but at 22,300 miles I have an MOT advisory that it rattles occaisionally.
 Ominously the guy from eurovans said they sometimes disintegrate and destroy the gearbox casing. VW won't contribute as it is four years old.
  I was unaware of a fault. Should I worry?
zedzedeleven View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 09 at 10:15
I got told that at an mot two years ago. I decided to leave it until it got worse and I`m still waiting. I was deeply suspicious of the (vw) garage that did the mot, they seemed to be trying to make work. The warning signs for the dual mass flywheel seem to be shuddering when reversing, especially up an incline, pulsing on the clutch pedal when idling and a kind of axle tramp when pulling away. There may be additional warning signs and I would welcome anyone`s input on this topic, especially anyone who had a dual mass flywheel/clutch assembly go without any warning.
1.9 85ps swb 2004 in friesan green.

bring me sunshine.
andysam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 09 at 11:51
My 130 had this issue at 2 yrs old with 20k miles on. When I described the symptoms above the van centre changed clutch and flywheel under warranty without even a road test! Not had one fail but my Shalhambra had this problem as well. I think it's a VW thing.
dub dub campers View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 09 at 12:16
My 2003 vw sharan had dual mass fly wheel and clutch changed under a re-call at 12 months old due to what VW said "a couple of minor issues with some badly machined parts" sounds like it was across the range of VW's
dub dub
Stuart Roper,
Lampeter, Mid Wales
07966 270767,
dubdubcampers@aol.com
bilbo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 09 at 17:38
 Thanks for the info. I'm really not aware of a shuddering, on reversing or really any of the symptoms you describe. Maybe he heard all my pots and pans rattling in the back! I was a bit suspicious when asking about the price when the guy said 'a lot' but we could do a special deal for you.
uncle philip View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 09 at 13:06
Ah, Dual Mass Flywheels - what a nightmare, it's not just a vw thing, lots of manufacturers use them & they are expensive &  troublesome in all vehicles....can anyone enlighten me on the advantages of using them? There are several companies that manufacture replacements to convert back to standard clutches!
I'll just wait......
Gaisa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 09 at 22:46
Originally posted by uncle philip uncle philip wrote:

Ah, Dual Mass Flywheels - what a nightmare, it's not just a vw thing, lots of manufacturers use them & they are expensive &  troublesome in all vehicles....can anyone enlighten me on the advantages of using them? There are several companies that manufacture replacements to convert back to standard clutches!

glad to hear it, could you enlighten me as to which companies, and how to contact them?
G
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 09 at 03:36
Originally posted by uncle philip uncle philip wrote:

Ah, Dual Mass Flywheels - what a nightmare, it's not just a vw thing, lots of manufacturers use them & they are expensive &  troublesome in all vehicles....can anyone enlighten me on the advantages of using them?  

The theory is that the springs in the DMF absorb and dampen the vibrations and pulsations that diesels engine in particular produce at lower revs.  Without a DMF these loads are passed on to the gearbox and the rest of the drive train.  So partially a reduction in NVH (noise, vibration and harshness), partially to help the drivetrain last longer. 

Good in theory, but seems to fall down in practice if the DMF isn't up to the job, fails prematurely and takes out the bell housing and the gearbox casing too Dead

Edited by gregozedobe - 17 Sep 09 at 03:37
 Post Reply Post Reply