FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDrumming noise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drumming noise
    Posted: 10 May 07 at 21:27
Driving up the M6 tonight I was aware of a drumming noise which seemed to vary with the road speed. I know that some of you have had problems with wheel bearings but surly wheel bearings show themselves when load is put upon them rather than on the flat on a smooth bit of road. The more I listened the more I convinced myself that it was from the wheel area, though I couldnt tell if it was from the front or the rear. Anyone got any ideas?
2004 174bhp AXE engine..... Belligerence has been confirmed.
Fifty pence View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 07 at 21:34

Had that Transporter, it might be the nearside front tyre.

I was convinced that my wheel bearing was on the way out till i swapped the tyres front to back.

I was amazed that the tyre could have made that kind of " bearingy " noise.

Its worth having a go to cancel that out if nothing else.

LEE T5 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 07 at 22:22

I had the same problem well over a month ago ,took it to the dealer and found it to be a noisy rear wheel bearing ,and i am still waiting for a new one as they are on back order !!!

Fifty pence View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 07 at 22:33

Although i must add that a front wheel bearing did collapse at 35K 5 weeks out of warranty !!.

kombi57 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 07 at 15:54

Have you noticed this drumming before or since, and have you used that road before/since. I always get an excessive amount of road/drumming noise on the M23. So its just down to the tarmac/road finish and its dislike of my tyres. 
T30 104 Kombi
The Transporter View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 07 at 23:42
Its a funny thing, but I first noticed the noise  very slightly after I had a couple of new tyres on the back about four months ago but I simply put the extra road noise down to the more agressive tread pattern but it seems to be getting louder, especially on really smooth roads where tyre noise is usually minimal. I'll whip the wheels of at the weekend and move the tyres round and look to see if any of them are less than round. As I said before, I would expect the bearings to be noisy when a load is placed on them such as going in to a bend but this is on the flat By the way, my milage is coming up to 38K
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 07 at 17:30
Well I finally found time to have a look and it seems to be the rear off side wheel bearing grumbling.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 07 at 22:19

The general rule for wheel bearings is that they can make a noise at any time even on the flat but if you can make a noticable change in the noise by swinging the van around bends you can be fairly sure it's a bearing not the tyres.  Tyres can make surprisingly loud noises though especially on bad surfaces.

The rear bearings are much easier to diagnose as you can usually hear them when you jack up the van and spin them.  A good tip is to put your hand on the coil spring while you spin and you will usually feel a rough bearing.  Same with the fronts but you will need to be able to eliminate (in your ears) the normal noises assoiciated with FWD.     

2004 2.5 174
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 07 at 23:02
Oddly enough, it is the same wheel that I reported was scrubbing the outside of the tyre so this could be an alignment issue too. No slop in the bearing, just rough
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 07 at 20:11
Well she went to my local dealer today and they confirmed that the wheel bearing was stuffed but they were on back order so I'll have to take it in another day. On the up side, they found the source of my brake pad warning light coming on shortly after I fitted a new set to the front...... There is a warning wire on the rear pads too and my rear pads need changing.... Doh    I did look, honestly and I saw no wire and that there was an awfull lot of meat still left on the pads, bought a set this afternoon and will fit them this week end cos that beep on start up is driving me mad but not as mad as the howl coming from my wheel
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 07 at 21:34

Don't forget you will need a piston wind back tool to do the job Transporter.  What's your mileage?  I'm on 32K no light yet but I can see I may need new discs (front and rear) when I do the pads.  Anyone out there got the min thickness specs for the T5 discs?     

2004 2.5 174
Mr Hedgehog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 07 at 23:24

To quote VW regarding brake discs

Brake disc

Vehicles with 16'' wheels, 2E3.

Internally ventilated brake disc: Ø 308 mm.

Brake disc thickness: 29.5 mm.

Wear limit: 25.5 mm.

Vehicles with 17'' wheels, 2E4.

Internally ventilated brake disc: Ø 333 mm.

Brake disc thickness: 32.5 mm.

Wear limit: 28.5 mm.

When worn, always renew on both sides of axle.

Never remove brake discs from hub by force. If necessary use penetrating fluid, because otherwise brake discs can be damaged.

Jumped Ship to a Vito but I hear a 2021 T6 calling, only real difference is the Vito cab is more car like.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 07 at 00:18
T5, I know a man who has a wind back tool who is kind enough to lend it to me.

I've done about 38k and although all discs have lips on them now, I think that I should be well within tolerance still though I'm told that the general rule of thumb is that the discs will need changing every two sets of pads, but I think that I prefer to rely on a set of vernier calipers
 Post Reply Post Reply