The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drive shaft wobbling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ltitx1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drive shaft wobbling
    Posted: 18 Jan 17 at 19:45
Hi
I have a volkswagon transporter T5 1.9TDI 
recently i changed my clutch, after i changed my clutch I have noticed a noise from the right hand side of my vehicle especially when i am turning on a bend. I went to the garage to get it checked, the mechanic noticed that the drive shaft is wobbling he took the drive shaft out and found that the excel shaft was loose and bolt was out. He replaced the new excel shaft and put a new drive shaft and ensured that everything was fixed properly, even then the drive shaft is still wobbling. Can anyone please advice me as to what the problem could be? Or if anyone has experienced this before, that would be helpful please. Thanks.

gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 17 at 22:18
This is a new one on me.  Most T5 driveshaft problems I've heard of relate to the stub axle & driveshaft splines wearing out.  What is an "excel shaft" ?  Is it the stub axle that comes out of the gearbox ?

My suspicion in this case would be worn hub bearings, but I'm not sure.  If the stub axle bolt was loose it could have flogged out the gearbox bearing.  Alternatively it could be a faulty drive shaft - just because it is new (or re-conditioned) doesn't mean it won't be faulty.

Surely with the wheel off they can see where the problem is - if they can't I'd be taking it somewhere else and get them to have a look at it.

When you do get the problem fixed make sure the axle/drive shaft splines are well greased (if they run dry they wear much quicker).

ltitx1 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ltitx1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 17 at 22:47
Thanks for your advice
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 17 at 19:53
I just thought of another possible cause:  Out of round/balance rim or tyre.  

This can cause a wobble if it is bad enough.  One way to check for that is to swap the rear wheels for the front and see if that makes any difference.  If you get a build up of mud or ice on the rim it can feel bad.
ltitx1 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ltitx1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 17 at 00:16
Hi. Thanks for Adwaise I will try
Surfrider View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Surfrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 17 at 07:19
What mileage has the box done? If there is play in the shaft as it comes out of the gearbox, vertically and horizontally, consider your differential bearings.
I BOOKED MY TICKET TO HELL ALONG TIME AGO.
ltitx1 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ltitx1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 17 at 11:43
Hi. Yes it what you explain me thanks
ltitx1 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ltitx1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 17 at 11:49
Hi. Yes you are right it problem in gearbox thanks
ltitx1 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ltitx1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 17 at 14:06
Hi all
Thank you for the advice
I got it thoroughly checked and it turned out to be the wheel bearing that was the problem. For T5 drivers that have a problem like this in future be sure to check the wheel bearing our first
Thanks
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 17 at 09:38
Originally posted by ltitx1 ltitx1 wrote:

Hi all
Thank you for the advice
I got it thoroughly checked and it turned out to be the wheel bearing that was the problem. For T5 drivers that have a problem like this in future be sure to check the wheel bearing our first
Thanks

Thank you for coming back and telling us what the problem was.  Looks like one of my guesses was on the money:
Quote  My suspicion in this case would be worn hub bearings

Post Reply Post Reply