The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Door Mirrors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 10 at 11:40
Madra - the ones you've bought aren't bad, we've got them on a couple.

The ones I've got now (after some drunken yob smashed mine up! Grrr!) aren't bad either, they're ever so slightly convex.

I've acquired a box of spares though... ;) 
Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
- 1984 Volvo/VanHool Alizee
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 10 at 17:30
Originally posted by icky icky wrote:

Madra - the ones you've bought aren't bad...

if they ever feckin' arrive!  two days til the MOT and no sign of them yet.
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 10 at 17:07
Originally posted by madra madra wrote:

...if they ever feckin' arrive!  two days til the MOT and no sign of them yet.

well, my new mirrors turned up at about 12:00 this morning - nary a couple of hours before herman was due in for his MOT [which he failed anyway, but that's another story].  so much for 2-3 day delivery!

o well, at least the buggers turned up and they are nice and huge - i now have a view of half the county behind me.
Dave@Telford View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave@Telford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 10 at 11:31
I have non standard mirror fittings on my van and could not find a replacement mirror locally.   I went to a local hardware shop and bought a flat mirror for £1.99.  I traced round the pieces of old mirror which I took out of the fitting, so I had the shape on piece of paper then used this as a template to carefully draw round the shape on the back of the new mirror.

I then put the mirror in a bowl of water and used a sharp pair of scissors and a file to cut it to shape.  This is an old dodge, but works quite well.  You may not get a perfectly ground edge but the edge is usually covered with the holder or some material of your choice.  There is little mess, but you have to be careful cleaning out the bowl after the water has been poured off.

Just dry the mirror and stick it into position.

Can anybody do it more cheaply?

Dave

1984 LT31 LWB Hi-top 2.4 Petrol camper 58k
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 10 at 11:35
do you get sufficient field of view with a flat mirror? my wing mirrors are convex, so they've got a wide angle of view.  i'd have thought if i put flat mirrors on there, i'd just get a nice view of a few square feet by the side of the van
Dave@Telford View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave@Telford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 10 at 11:43
I've just done my first outing with the new mirror and there's no problem with the field of view as far as I'm concerned.  All the mirrors in the local motor spares shop that were nearly suitable were flat.  They were also a bit thicker glass, but there's no load on the mirror when it's all glued across the back.

Just try a small household mirror if you can get someone to hold it in place while you have a look.

Dave

1984 LT31 LWB Hi-top 2.4 Petrol camper 58k
driveby View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote driveby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 16 at 22:27

So I've got this knackered bracket, both sides look pretty similar - they've lost their caps and sem rusted solid with the hex rounded off.

It'd be nice to replace them because on passenger side the mirror flops about, though the glass is in one piece it's been whacked on various trees. You can see the electrical tape holding mirror body place but it's not great and tends to flop down.

I'd like to swap for new brackets - or new mirrors.

Tried some of the old links here but without finding any. I can see "mirror heads" (no brackets). And some links to universal (larger) truck ones. These are sized 160 x 230mm (6 x 9") on an 18mm bracket.

These are a little convex. Any clues or ideas what works best for replacement ? Or if I can get new brackets ?

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 16 at 07:54
Post something in the Wanted section mate, much bigger audience.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

caveman_dick View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caveman_dick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 16 at 15:15
Assuming your arms themselves are ok, Amazon now sell new mirrors. I think these are the same as what I got for mine and they work great.

1983 VW LT31 LWB 2.4 LPG Sealine Camper conversion
1968 VW Beetle 1500
2004 Alfa Romeo GT JTD
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 16 at 18:06
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
driveby View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote driveby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 16 at 08:47
Thanks for the reply LTCamper. The ebay diagrams help a lot.

I think I'll be best finding a curved plate and those M5x20 bolts to replace the rust arrangement I've got :-)

Cheers for the info I'll chase those down at a hardware store
driveby View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote driveby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 16 at 08:49
* Also caveman_dick. I don't necessarily need to replace with original mirrors, might go up a size - it's the knackered mounting am trying to work out :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12