The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do you live in your van?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3narf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you live in your van?
    Posted: 13 Oct 07 at 18:40

I live in the Peak District in Derbyshire but spend three nights out of every eight down at Heathrow (I work there as an aircraft tech).

Anyone else planning to spend the winter in a van? I could do with some moral support...

(I just spotted that I'd typed 'pek district.' Would that have made it a spam message?  )

pepperami View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 07 at 19:08
a high tog quilt is in order i think
Ghia's Wench View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia's Wench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 07 at 19:13

Originally posted by pepperami pepperami wrote:

And a hat!!  You lose most of your body temperature through the head you know!!

A 12V kettle will let you make a nice warm cuppa to warm your insides too!

You can do it buddy!

I may be his Wench, but hey, I chose to be!
Diablodub View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
mehcedes...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablodub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 07 at 19:22
Theres a guy on the cargo centre at m/cr airport who lives in his fiat all week
brick-yard splitters breakaway judean peoples front cheesy toss wank - Member No 1
07974 787780 - Stu

Sunny Stockport-Cheshire

daveyboy10_2 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveyboy10_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 07 at 19:30
Buy a Gipsy ...Luxury 
Wanna buy some pegs Dave
Highlander View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Highlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 07 at 19:35
We lived in our splitty travelling Scotland through the winter a few years back (before kids). With no heating (eber was liable to explode) the worst bit was having to creep out of the duvet to put the kettle when there was ice on the inside of the windows 
Ian MacRae, Tain, Highlands of Scotland.

'85 T3 westy from sunny California to sunny (?) Scotland
3narf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3narf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 07 at 19:36

Originally posted by Diablodub Diablodub wrote:

Theres a guy on the cargo centre at m/cr airport who lives in his fiat all week

If I could get back to MAN I'd be laughing!

(I live in Hayfield)

3narf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3narf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 07 at 19:40

Originally posted by Highlander Highlander wrote:

We lived in our splitty travelling Scotland through the winter a few years back (before kids). With no heating (eber was liable to explode) the worst bit was having to creep out of the duvet to put the kettle when there was ice on the inside of the windows 

It's funny, since I started in late August it's been dry every night. It hasn't rained once. Mostly mild, too.

A couple of chilly mornings, and that really is the hardest bit, getting out of bed to put the gas on!

Bloodbath View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bloodbath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 07 at 01:19
Ice on the inside of the window. good for the soul. 

The Reverend View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Reverend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 07 at 07:21
Originally posted by Bloodbath Bloodbath wrote:

Ice on the inside of the window. 

Turn the fridge down a touch
T3di View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3di Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 07 at 10:07

There's no such thing as "winter" down Heathrow way these days.You're more likely to get a snow shower in April!!

I'm from down there,but live in Sheff now,every time I go down to visit the folks,I kip in my van,and almost always wake up too hot,and have rarely reached for the eber switch!!

I think your biggest inconvenience will be condensation,and the lack of creature comforts!..oh and the plane noise,fumes and not so friendlyness of the locals...

Are you looking for places locally to camp at that "are nice"?

Edited by T3di

Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 07 at 12:51
We spent 5 months living in Chamonix, in the Alps, in a panel van.
dubweiser View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubweiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 07 at 16:01
three or four nights a week still.
on customers drives, usually.
was thinking this week its about time to swap from cocopops to porridge now.
it fascinates me the way you feel the temp change in the layers of air once youve had the hob on for a minute or two. your face can be toastie  but below knee level its still f-f-f-freezin.
TIP: i usually keep the next days clothes in between the quilt and blanket layer, so they are warm when you put em on and they also help insulate you whilst zzzzzzzzzzzzz.
IF YOURE NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOU TAKE UP TOO MUCH ROOM
3narf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3narf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 07 at 18:03
Originally posted by T3di T3di wrote:

Are you looking for places locally to camp at that "are nice"?

I've been using a couple of Camping & Caravanning Club sites nearby, ie Chertsey, Walton and Horsley. Always on the lookout for more options, if anyone has any!

Horsley is my favourite so far- nice lanes for cycling/running and a superb pub (the Barley Mow in West Horsley).

I've been doing double shifts recently (if I'm down here, I might as well be working!), so I've been staying in the staff car park...

3narf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3narf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 07 at 18:08
Originally posted by Ghia's Wench Ghia's Wench wrote:

Originally posted by pepperami pepperami wrote:

And a hat!!  You lose most of your body temperature through the head you know!!

You can do it buddy!

Good thinking re the hat. I'll always remember the time when we were away in our Bedford Dormobile c.1975; for some reason my dad was sleeping on the floor with his head next to the double doors at the back, with my sister's Liverpool scarf wrapped 'round his head because it was so drafty. My mum laughed about it for about 20 years afterwards.

Peli Mart View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peli Mart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 07 at 18:38

I'm thinking of taking a part time job i.e having two part time jobs one close to home the other close to London, When in London I plan to go up in the van on a sun and come back on the tuesday night - spending two nights a week in the van! - Definitely gonna need my carbs looked at and get LPG first!

3narf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3narf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 07 at 19:40
It is a dear do, in petrol and oil in my case! At least I can write it off against tax...
Germman View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Vanarchist.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Germman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 07 at 20:22
Originally posted by dubweiser dubweiser wrote:

three or four nights a week still.
on customers drives, usually.
was thinking this week its about time to swap from cocopops to porridge now.
it fascinates me the way you feel the temp change in the layers of air once youve had the hob on for a minute or two. your face can be toastie  but below knee level its still f-f-f-freezin.
TIP: i usually keep the next days clothes in between the quilt and blanket layer, so they are warm when you put em on and they also help insulate you whilst zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

CARBON MONOXIDE detector !!!  or
http://picasaweb.google.com/germmanmark

Coventry near Vanarchy

*Wanted mint early AC STUFF*

dubweiser View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubweiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 07 at 20:36
I'm alarmed and covered cheers germ man.
in spite of cold i always have a habit of clicking open sliding door as soon as i wake up too, just to get some fresh air in the van. 
can be mighty stuffy regardless of weather and..
er...
depending on what was eaten the night before
IF YOURE NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOU TAKE UP TOO MUCH ROOM
j_robi View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j_robi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 07 at 21:23
lived in my van for 2 years (until this June),parked up in Cardiff wherever i deemed relatively safe and would get a decent nights kip. Get a good sleeping bag. Have a nice fleece ready to put on in the morning. Nothing like waking up with snow around on a bitter february morning. Live by the rule that generally if you dont upset anyone they won't upset you
Carmarthen + Cardiff
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>