The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do I need ball joint spacers?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do I need ball joint spacers?
    Posted: 26 Aug 14 at 15:11
I am about to lift the front of my tin top 14" syncro. I have the piston rod spacer for the shocks (new monroe shocks) and 2wd standard springs. The tyres are 215/80/15's, maybe a little large really, but for not i want to make them work. With all this in mind, do I need ball joint spacers? I swear i read they were for lifts of greater than 40mm? cheers fellas Tongue
90 VW T3 Syncro Panel Stealth Camper

98 VW T4 Transporter 1200 LWB 2.4TD - Syncro wannabe
Oberon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oberon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 14 at 13:57
I just had my 2WD bus lifted 30mm and was advised to fit the spacers, without them the ball-joints will be operating near their maximum deflection. The spacers and the extra work involved to fit them are cheap enough so there's no good reason not to do it. The wheel and tyre size don't have any effect on the steering components but the alignment should be checked and adjusted after the lift/spacer work.
I don't have PS and the spacers give a slightly lighter feel to the steering between half and full lock.

Colin
SA 2WD 2.5 Microbus with Syncro transmission.
Abyss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 14 at 14:04
Interesting, as i posed the same question on faceboob and also just got a reply! 

Was told there is still enough adjustment left with a lift of <40mm, however fitting some would do now harm. I am at the point where I have the parts here and fitting them this weekend!

Plan is to get a full wheel calibration after the lift, as I know at least the tracking is out, and I will be fitting new rubber too so want that to wear evenly.

syncroandy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syncroandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 14 at 23:01
I have 15mm shims in my 14" pickup, on stock springs, and that's on the limit of camber adjustment at the front with no BJ spacers. The lift at the arch is ~1" iirc. I can't comment on the 2wd springs. You may struggle to fit them..

Edited by syncroandy - 28 Aug 14 at 23:02
'90 252 EJ25
'90 246 AFN

Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.
Scimdiesel View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scimdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 14 at 23:22
With standard length dampers in no part of the suspension movement would the ball joints be over stretched. Vw would have checked that. So if you was only raising it a small amount don't extend your dampers.   Lengthening your dampers does allow the suspension to travel into uncharted terittory which is where the potential problems occur.   
Without engineers science is just philosophy..... Joined the revolution with a 18 year old TDI :
Abyss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 14 at 23:25
The shocks are being lengthened a small (8mm?) amount to stop the longer springs topping the shocks out.

Yes they will be a squeeze to get them springs in, but plenty have done it, I will then have more spring travel than Syncro springs and spacers.

Post Reply Post Reply