The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DIY windscreen removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dancingbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIY windscreen removal
    Posted: 09 Jan 19 at 04:30
Hello all

I have rust forming around both windscreen and tailgate window on my T5. I'm considering taking them out myself to repair the rust and respray then refit the Windows.... I've done a bit of reading but am sadly lacking in knowledge and confidence in this area! (More so window removal and fitting than the body repair) Does anyone have any words of wisdom for or against my plan as it 'appears' to seem straightforward enough!

I don't mind giving it a go but realise that, although a simple procedure, could be fraught with problems for a first timer!

I had a side window fitted by a mobile fitter once - did a terrible job so unsure if it's actually difficult black art kind of thing, or whether he was just a cretin!?

Thanks in advance 👍
Eagles may soar... but weasels don't get sucked into engines!!!
DaveHobie View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveHobie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 19 at 08:36
I would get a windscreen company to come through to remove the windows for me, they know all the little tricks and have the correct tools.

I removed mine about 10 yrs ago as it was cracked and the Single cab pick upflex or adhesive/silicon vw used was a huge pain to remove. I used a wire similar to piano wire to get in between the glass and body to remove the glass - 2 person job. Refitting I wish I had 5000 hands but went ok.

I put a double sized sheet over the dash and covering the bonnet and scraped out the rest of the silicon stuff. Difficult and is time consuming - agreed I don't know the tricks. It must be even/flat for when you refit the windscreen.

You need a compressor to spray, so maybe have a look at the snap-on soda blaster to use for removing the rust - possibly you will not need to remove the windows that way.

Our conditions in South Africa are not as severe as with you guys, so it is an easier solution. I used the cheaper chinesium clone version but the industrial soda blast media. Remember if the rust is deep then the soda will not remove it.

dancingbear View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dancingbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 19 at 09:09
Thanks mate 👍

I'm a big fan of doing things myself ...but, needing I call the 'experts' with a van in bits and sealant up to my armpits is not how I want it to be 😂

Anyone else any enlightenment?

Thanks in advance 😁
Eagles may soar... but weasels don't get sucked into engines!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply