FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDiscovery fuel pump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Discovery fuel pump
    Posted: 14 Apr 10 at 19:05
hello all i have got myself a discovery pump to fit on my 1z tdi which has got a aaz pump fittrd at the mo any help on fitting and setting up or pic would be a great help and let me know if i need to get ant more bits  many thanks rob
rolo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 10 at 07:55

1y pump mount, elongate the pump bolt  holes. 1z sprocket and woodruf key. Above all establish where no. 1 cylinder is on the pump before you take the adjustable sprocket off, using the lock and mark the shaft end and pump. Time initially 1.3ish. will fire up and run ok. Would be a good time to mod govenor as the disco has no fuel past 4k revs but if thats ok with you no prob and good on mpg. Cheers rolo.-------  If this has gone big pc has took over again thought I was the driver.

Edited by rolo - 15 Apr 10 at 08:12
the last one
1982bus View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 10 at 09:31
thanks i have the 1y pump mount but the pump does not fit in the mount do i have to the mount machine out to fit the pump many thanks rob
rolo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 10 at 07:54
Hm ok, the aef mount is consistent in size, see if you can find one of these, it will fit all aspects but have no adjustability. Drill holes either side of each of the 3 pump bolt holes and elongate them. Remove the captive from the tin plate cover and enlarge it to match. If you took the disco pump off or know where the vehicle is check which delivery port feeds cylinder 1 and mimic this on the tdi. Injection order is the same on both pumps. Cheers rolo--------- Obviously you can have the mount you`ve got machined to match.
the last one
monkey magic View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 10 at 11:19
DOnt do it, havent you heard electronic is de best and mtdi is pure ebil? Tongue

Only joking,

I used the original tdi bracket on mine, it needed the hole machining out. I managed to file the bolt holes into slots (yes i do have an arm like popeye now) you only need a cam belt tooths worth of adjustment in theory if that makes sense.

Do a search on it fella, tons of info on here already.
mTDI Syncro
footstuck View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 10 at 20:54
If you use your bracket and have it machiened out, offer the pump into it and mark the pump against the bracket BEFORE you elongate the holes as once elongated you will not have the precise (or start point) to revert back to when making any timing ajustments.  
Ooh Ahh, I love gravy.
blackdogvan View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 10 at 23:22
I opened up a AAZ bracket to the nose of the LR pump & fitted a ALH style 2 piece adjustable sprocket & press on hub. So timing changes are at the pulley, not by rotating the entire pump. The AAZ delivery valves are shorter than the LR's so I fitted them & the injector lines fitted prefect, no bending necessary. FYI I've heard of the injector line plating flaking off if they get bent & plugging injectors.

You can see the alignment & old LR delivery valves in these pictures.

AAZ converted to Mtdi.
1Z Head, ASV pistons, Rover pump, K03/04 hybrid turbo, PP520 injectors, VR6 clutch, AWIC.
rolo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 10 at 08:19

BDV.  Is that plating problem well known?  Got some very expensive nozzles at the end of bent 1+2 pipes.Got spare delivery valves but wanted to use the one`s set for the pump.-------------- How did you get the alh inner pulley section, tried to buy one, listed as part of the pump. The outer sprocket available but expensive. Build looking good. The aef mtdi is now run in and will get the vnt17 to replace the 15. Playing with the govenor makes a big difference.

Edited by rolo - 19 Apr 10 at 08:31
the last one
footstuck View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 10 at 17:03
Is the ALH pulley suitable for a 12mm shaft?  The pump that i fitted was a 110, and the shaft size is 12mmm and as Rolo said, the base plate was not available seperatley to use the ajustable pulley.  I did the same thing with the delivery valves, Used ones off of a AFN (110 also).Runs up ok, but not yet road tested.

Edited by footstuck - 21 Apr 10 at 17:11
Ooh Ahh, I love gravy.
 Post Reply Post Reply