The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Differences - LT28/31/35

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AudioWizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Differences - LT28/31/35
    Posted: 11 Nov 08 at 23:40
Can anyone explain the differences other than the gross weight limit - or is that it? Can I get bits for my LT31 from other models? What parts are model specific? I keep looking at mine thinking there's no way I can fit what others have in that space - my logbook says it's LWB but when I've seen what others have fitted in a LT35 LWB I'm amazed..
1997 T4 1.9TD - Self-Build Camper in progress
rockradio View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockradio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 08 at 14:23
Just had a look in the "Volkwagen LT" instruction manual that came with my van and it lists all the height width and length dimmensions under one table "LT28/31/35/35E". They have seperate tables for the LT40/45 and LT50/55.

So I suspect the LT28,31, 35 and 35e are the same dimmensions at least for each vehicle type LWB, double cab etc.  I am sure your 2.4l engine is the same as used in the LT35 too (has to be).

Going deeper into the book. Tyre size and pressures are listed seperatly for LT28, 31, 35 and 35e as is MPG.

Engine specs seem the same.

It says:
Front axle
Independent suspension with double wishbones and coil springs on LT28 to LT35
Rigid axle with leaf springs on LT40 to LT55

Rear Axle
Rigid axle with leaf springs with auxillary plastic springs on LT35
Radius rod on LT28 and 31
Antiroll bar on LT35-55

So seems to confirm our assumption that it's only weight related items are different.

Smile

Edited by rockradio - 15 Nov 08 at 14:48
LT35 camper 1987 2.4 litre 6 pot diesel, DW engine, no turbo, no PAS.
team french View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote team french Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 08 at 18:58
the 28 was about 12" shorter than some of the others, if you look the sld shuts closer to the cab doors on the 28, some have put small windows in this panel and its how much ive cut out from the donor roof to go on my 28
1978 2litre LT28 abbomination!!!!
danhaines View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danhaines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 09 at 12:50
Originally posted by rockradio rockradio wrote:

Rear Axle
Rigid axle with leaf springs with auxillary plastic springs on LT35

Does anyone have any experience with these auxillary plastic springs?
i'm looking to lower my rear by 3 inches but not sure what effect this will have on these springs and whether they can be modified at all, or even removed???

I was thinking of removing a leaf from the main spring to drop it a bit Shocked
VW T4 1998 2.4d LWB
team french View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote team french Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 09 at 20:38
my rubber "springs" were missing from mine when i got it. i got some new ones from vw(abouts £50 each ) you could get two differant heights if i remember. but as i havent driven my LT with them on i cant say if they make a differance. my mate followed me(in the LT) and seemd to think that it it took a while to right its self after cornering(sway) id say they would improve this. i dont see why you couldnt cut them down carefully. mine sits about an inch higher with them on.
1978 2litre LT28 abbomination!!!!
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 09 at 14:53
Rockradio, can you post a copy of the manual please, I've got sod all apart from a haynes manual

Cheers

Andy
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 09 at 21:00
Originally posted by team french team french wrote:

the 28 was about 12" shorter than some of the others, if you look the sld shuts closer to the cab doors on the 28, some have put small windows in this panel and its how much ive cut out from the donor roof to go on my 28

That's not actually to do with it being a 28 - its to do with it being a short wheelbase version instead of long wheelbase.

you can get LWB LT28's and SWB LT31/35's.
ZUB View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

early morning troll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 09 at 21:11
Team French, I'm with Ichy on the LT28 issue here. This is my 1988 LT28 2.4 Turbo Diesel LWB. Ian 
I'm a bell end
mike38 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 09 at 22:25
Yeah the swb van dont have the section where zubs awning light is fitted the numbers are to do with the weight as rocketradio says the 40/45 has rigid axles and i think are all twin rear wheelers?
Mike
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 09 at 00:08

LT28 / 31 are single rear wheels.

LT35 E is single rear wheels, LT35 is twin
LT40/45/50/55 are all twin rear wheel.
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 09 at 09:07
Twin wheelers have a beam front axle and king pins don't they? lower models have wishbones and coils?
Speculation but deffo 2 different front suspension set ups, obviously springs will be different between models but dampers, bushes etc should be the same.
ltman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 09 at 23:11
Simon!! mines a twin wheeler!! CHassis Cab (now with luton box on it) and mine has wishbones and coils on the front! Question for u tho! my rear springs (leafs) are always bent the wrong way even if the van has no load! How can i explain it. As you look at them from the side they aint smiling at ya !! there sad !! haha is that ok.. the box is a Dropwell Luton so got about a meter overhang over the back axle
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 09 at 23:25
It's all explained in the LT brochure that I used to have - Pete (dubman) now has it I do believe, as it was in the folder of stuff with his LT28.

I think that up to 35 has coil sprung front suspension, 38/40/45/50/55 have Beams/Kingpins (pretty sure the changeover happens between the LT35 and the LT38).

There are 2 variants of the 35 - the 35 E and the 35 (the E being the single rear wheel version) - although I'm sure that both have the same wishbone front suspension.

Rear suspension wise - I think there is a difference between the suspension setups - and this changes over at the same time as the single/twin wheel change (IE between the LT35E and the LT35)

They both change at different points in the 28-55 spectrum, I'm pretty sure!
MostlyMonki View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MostlyMonki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 09 at 10:01
Originally posted by ZUB ZUB wrote:

Team French, I'm with Ichy on the LT28 issue here. This is my 1988 LT28 2.4 Turbo Diesel LWB. Ian 

sorry for the post hijack, but what window is that in your sliding door? It's just what i'm after but i was worried about clearence on the inside  for opening the door...
"LT Massive"
T4_0_EMY View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T4_0_EMY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 09 at 22:57
mines is a lt45 lwb twin wheel and yes it has front beam and king pins wish it didnt cause need to change them and i dont have a spare wheel either and cant find one i will put it on
rear door when i get one going to use a landrover wheel holder from the scrappy

Edited by T4_0_EMY - 29 Jan 09 at 23:05
ZUB View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

early morning troll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 09 at 23:11
I'm a bell end
T4_0_EMY View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T4_0_EMY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 09 at 00:58
thanks zub that guy had a ford cargo that i need bits for my recovery truck to

its an lt35 but dont know if the rear wheels are the same or not

does anybody no if the twin rear wheels of a mk2 lt45 fits the mk1

Edited by T4_0_EMY - 30 Jan 09 at 00:59
ZUB View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

early morning troll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 09 at 07:26
Hi Mostlymonki,  I bought the van from Germany (windows already in it),  I will have a look for any make, model or name/markings on the window. I can take a photo of it too and I'll post it on here for you, along with window sizes. Ian 
I'm a bell end
MostlyMonki View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MostlyMonki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 09 at 09:23
that'd be great cheers mate :)
"LT Massive"
ZUB View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

early morning troll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 09 at 23:02
MostlyMonki, the window has a sticker on it saying "Birkholz 7 D 512 Seitz" size of window is 36in long by 16.5in high in old money, or  (915mm x 420mm) The whole window depth is 3in (76mm) in total from inside to outside (thickness of window) The clearance to side of van when door is open is 2in (25mm). 
I'm a bell end
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>