The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDiesel Conversion Donor Van..thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diesel Conversion Donor Van..thoughts?
    Posted: 26 Sep 07 at 19:35
Hey there.

Wondering if someone might give me some advice.

Have a 87 Westy (2.1i, 4 speed ACW box) which is mechanically sound but really does guzzle the petrol.  My plan is to convert her to diesel and avail of the associated savings.  I know it would be easier to go the gas conversion route, but over here in Ireland, LPG is only marginally cheaper than petrol, so no savings to be had.  Plus I think there are only 2 or 3 stations in all of Dublin that distribute the stuff.  So it has to be diesel.

I purchased a crashed 95 Vento 1.9td with 50k on the clock and therefore have a lovely AAZ under the bonnet waiting to go.  So that is the engine out of the way, but as we all know there are more parts needed than just that.

Rather than try and collect all the parts individually, my thoughts are to find a donor 1.6d van and do the conversion on this first; get all the bugs worked out etc. and then swap it all over to the Camper.  I have sourced an 89 panel van, 1.6td, 5 speed.  It runs, but not greatly  .  Engine is on the way out I feel, but it does have all the necessary pieces and I think it will get me home.

So to my questions and your thoughts hopefully: 

Has anyone tried this approach?  Work on a donor van first and get the bugs out there.
Is the panel van I have found a suitable donor to work with ? (Don't know what the gearbox code is though)
Is my gearbox suitable for the AAZ ratio wise, or should I be looking to modify it or find another?

Any other thoughts or suggestions that you might have gratefully appreciated.

Take care and thanks for reading.

Edited by sirivor
 Post Reply Post Reply