The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Did anybody try this before ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ottoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did anybody try this before ?
    Posted: 13 Jun 16 at 15:02
Large family - two adults, three children - large home:

That's two bedrooms, two dildos and a bathroom with shower. 
2 liter petrol engine runing on lpg. 75 bhp, all of them still alive it seems.
50 is the new 65, but fuel economy is rather great Big smile
1980 Pop Top LT28 2.0 Petrol converted by Karroseriefabrik Voll von Wurzburg
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 16 at 10:37
Guess that would be 50kph not 50mphLOL.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Buss Marius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buss Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 16 at 21:42
And i think it is torture to my 75hp DW engine to pull my 3,2 tonn non-aerodynamic Karmann aroundCry. Specially last weekend when it did a total of 6000meter vertical climb.
Are you trying to kill your engine? Just want an excuse to change the engine?
Luckily it is not to many of the 50hp T3 Diesel coming to Norway, from Germany anymore, as they have a tendency to break down very often as they are run to hard on the Norwegian roads. At the Norwegian BusCamp at Rjukan in September there was a German with a caravan behind his 50hp doka. He did not make it up the steep curvy hills to the west of the city. I don't remember if it was the engine that blew or the clutch that gave up. We told him to go twice, first with his wife and every thing heavy and then with a as empty as possible car and caravan. Well, he didn't listen to the locals and it was a disaster.   
87 Karmann LT L 2,4D. 89 T3 Syncro Reimo 1,9TD. 2000 T4 Caravelle TDI
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 16 at 09:20
ExcellentThumbs Up
...and still the best swear filter EVER. LOL

Edited by LTCamper89 - 16 Jun 16 at 09:21
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
ottoMan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ottoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 16 at 11:39
I'm talking about 50 mph, that's top speed on flat, open road. The pedal is not to the floor, but I didn't push it. The high gearing has an advantage - the engine can pull the caravan without to much effort up to this speed.
I'm not going to drive on slopes of more than 10%. I'm definetily not going on mountain roads with it. I'll drive it in this combination only for one long trip. After that the caravan will stay in one place.
I'll keep you posted.

Edited by ottoMan - 17 Jun 16 at 11:39
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 16 at 12:06
Good luck mate hope it goes well.
My old bus is 2nd gear and 20mph for anything more than a bump.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

thal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 16 at 09:27
I regularly used to tow a caravan from Bolton to the lakes Never had any problems even did Honister and winlatter passes towing a caravan but it did get some raised eyebrows.
2.4 td high top home conversion And2.4td LWB high top van
ottoMan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ottoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 16 at 08:19
Looks like the green ones are allmighty :)

We spent the last 16 days on the road, traveling from Bucharest, Romania to Montemor O Novo, Portugal. There were 4.000 km of beautiful roads through Romania, Hungary, Slovenia, Italy, France, Spain and Portugal. The trip was fine and the LT pulled 1.5 tones of caravan without any problems. The 2.0 petrol engine running on LPG (cooler) and the short 5 speeds gearing made for a smooth ride. 80 kmh was the best speed for cruising without dramatic fuel consumption increase. And it even pulled uphill on long stretches, using the 3rd gear at 50kph. On these parts I cheated a bit, to keep temperature under control - I opened the heat exchanger and even started the blower from time to time. But temperature was kept well under control, with the needle never reaching further than 3/4 of its range. Otherwise it usually stayed a bit after 1/2, just like when riding solo. :) 

So, it is very much possible. There is no comparation to be made between the LT and the T3 and absolutely no comparation between a 2.0 petrol engine and a 1.6 diesel - at least revwise. And an owner of both models surely knows that. :) My LT is living strongly in Portugal and, together with the caravan it pulled, became our home for the next year or so.

Post Reply Post Reply