The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Detail Doctor - plastic restorer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigwam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Detail Doctor - plastic restorer
    Posted: 05 Oct 13 at 03:10
Message from Wigwam downunder here.   I recently began testing a plastic restorer product called "Detail Doctor"(DD) on the relevant exterior plastic of my 2005 VW T5 1.9 TDI SWB van.   Didn't find any specific hits when searching this site, so thought I might try a post.   DD's been TV promoted here in Australia and US(don't know about UK) and reviewed with the usual non-scientific haters bagging it, and equally non-scientific optimists loving it.

DD has a stated linseed oil content.   Sounds a bit like oil based paint doesn't it?  It's a runny yellow liquid that floats on water and smells sort of pleasantly like caramel/vanilla - I assume this smell is to promote it's interior surface use.  

I applied it to one of my two removable fog light insert panels so as I'd have the other for comparison.   It was easy to apply and showed good affinity for the plastic, unlike some other "protectants" which seem to need working into the surface.   DD seems very economical($30 for almost 1/4 litre in bottle) as it spreads like an oil.   The immediate effect was as expected - the plastic looked restored(sort of "wet").   It took four hours to become completely dry to touch.  Instructions advised 24 hours drying for best results, and that the smell goes away with drying.   Surface touch wise, after four hours, it's like a surface recently painted with oil based paint - sort of sticky like glad wrap.   But after 24 hours, it's getting much less sticky, and the caramel/vanilla smell has been replaced by the recognizeable smell of linseed oil, and there's no reduction in the "wet" look.

Much of the promotion is aimed at how long this DD product will last(months and years eg).  Don't know much about it lasting yet, but coupled with DD's long lasting intention, I'd say have your vehicle away from any dust because this is a slow drying product.
Cheaper On The Net
sunny43.5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunny43.5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 13 at 06:46
I often wondered about that stuff as I am a bit skeptical about some of these "wonder products" I too have seen it on TV here in Aus . We bought our new T5 late last year and over the last few months an obvious mark had gradually appeared on the corner of the front bumper , at first glance it looks like an impact mark but on closer inspection you can see what was a mark probably caused at the holding yard and the dealers got someone to do some sort of resto job which now has gradually faded away I wonder if this product would fix that . I have buckleys chance of getting the dealer to fix it under warranty as they will just  say it was done at a carpark or something .
tennis View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 13 at 08:37
Glad wrap = Cling film
Foursprings Dutch Picnic
sunny43.5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunny43.5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 13 at 12:56
Originally posted by tennis tennis wrote:

Glad wrap = Cling film
Okay here is where I put on my dunces cap , as a famous or infamous would be politician said here in Aus "Please Explain"
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 13 at 15:29
Originally posted by sunny43.5 sunny43.5 wrote:

Glad wrap = Cling film
Okay here is where I put on my dunces cap , as a famous or infamous would be politician said here in Aus "Please Explain"

Glad Wrap is a brand of product generically known as cling wrap.  If Glad brand cling wrap isn't sold in your country you might not know what it is.  Similarly some countries might call a photocopier a Xerox machine, a ball point pen a Biro or Bic.  So Tennis was telling people what was meant by "Glad Wrap".

Clear as mud now ?

Edited by gregozedobe - 05 Oct 13 at 15:30
zedzedeleven View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zedzedeleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 13 at 09:55
A few years ago some bright spark chucked a tin of bright pink paint into a skip. The feral brats then hoiked it out and plastered in all over the place. They then wiped their hands on my back bumper. I tried getting it off with turps, managed it ok but the cure was worse than the complaint because the black trim faded. So far I have tried lots of trim restorer products and none of them have worked permanently. It seems that the Transporter bumper is covered in a sort of vinyl material that doesn`t respond to trim restorers. I am currently testing some GTechniq C4, hideously expensive and so far not proving to be the answer. The stuff worked brilliantly on the breadknife`s Suzuki , on the panel where the windscreen wipers are. Different sort of plastic though, more like the T5 wing mirror back. I`m a bit surprised if you guys in Oz can`t find a product for restoring faded black trim, there must be a market for something out in Oz. The best I have found so far is Meguiars dash and trim restorer but it doesn`t last and streaks after it has been raining. I could have probably bought a new bumper by now with what I have spent on trim restorer. Oh, and yes, I have tried the hot air  technique, worked but fading returned soon after. 
1.9 85ps swb 2004 in friesan green.

bring me sunshine.
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 13 at 10:56
A guy from auto what's it told me to use the tyre spray dressing on first on a clean faded bumper followed by the bumper care. Not a permanent solution but last longer.

Us bunch sound like a bunch of middle aged women talking about their concrete slap they put on in the morning.

Hope it helps.

This was posted in a constructive non ranting manor.
zedzedeleven View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zedzedeleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 13 at 11:09
So, you live in a manor Al, always suspected you were landed gentry. You are right though, there will be those on here for whom even cleaning a van would be radical. Trim dressing ? Pah, can`t even see the dash for Woodbine packets, invoices and Mars bar wrappers on some vans.
1.9 85ps swb 2004 in friesan green.

bring me sunshine.
Proglz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proglz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 13 at 06:19
Here's a old trick for refreshing faded plastic bumpers, go to the shed a get the heat gun set it to LOW and in a non conspicuous place heat an area of the plastic bumper and see if it turns darker if so continue with the rest of the bumper.
Bear in mind though this doesn't seem to work on all plastic bumpers and if you get it too hot you'll change the surface texture of the bumper or stuff it all together.
So try it at your own peril, but be assured the effect will be dramatic if it works Smile  
Some days your the Dog,
others you're the Tree!
sunny43.5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunny43.5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 13 at 08:13
Originally posted by gregozedobe gregozedobe wrote:

Glad wrap = Cling film

Glad Wrap is a brand of product generically known as cling wrap.  If Glad brand cling wrap isn't sold in your country you might not know what it is.  Similarly some countries might call a photocopier a Xerox machine, a ball point pen a Biro or Bic.  So Tennis was telling people what was meant by "Glad Wrap".

Clear as mud now ?

Yes I know all those you mention please give us ex poms some credit over here in our new home but I still don't get the meaning Glad Wrap Cling Film [ Dazed and confused ] Oh and we so have some products here for restoring BLACK bumpers as my sons 97 T4 has been done and it comes up a real treat BUT T5' s are grey not black .
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 13 at 11:05

.... but I still don't get the meaning Glad Wrap Cling Film [ Dazed and confused ] 

Perhaps if you explain clearly exactly what & why you are so " [ Dazed and confused ]" someone may be able to explain it to you.
sunny43.5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunny43.5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 13 at 09:22
OKAY OKAY now I get it I had not looked back over the original posting to see the reference to the Glad Wrap DOH !! Must be the onset of summer here we have gone from mild to bloody hot in just a few days I HATE SUMMER you get frazzled easily when your brain is melting !!! Its the one thing I have never adjusted to in Australia ,  whilst I don't miss the cold grey days and snow on the ground slush everywhere and people walking around depressed because the weather is lousy , the blistering summer with relentless humidity can cause an old pom some discomfort . But hey this a great country if you go swimming in the southern ocean  waters  the White Pointers will eat you if you go swimming in the northern ocean the crocs will eat you then there are the killer jelly fish not to mention killer stone fish / spiders who can bite and snakes galore plus some  nasty stinging plants and the infamous "drop bears " What have the poms got to kill you ????
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 13 at 14:05

What have the poms got to kill you ????

Ummmm, rabies, heat exhaustion if it gets mildly warm, mad cow disease, people driving in snow with summer tyres and absolutely NFI, crazed football fans, widespread looters (pretending to be rioters for a cause), depression caused by unending crap weather or cricketers that can't beat the aussies (oops, that last one is no longer true Embarrassed ) mad truck drivers from the continent ..... (and I'm sure the locals can add heaps more if they feel like it - just get +ve Al fired up and see what he comes up with)

Edited by gregozedobe - 08 Oct 13 at 14:07
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 13 at 18:09
Originally posted by zedzedeleven zedzedeleven wrote:

So, you live in a manor Al, always suspected you were landed gentry. You are right though, there will be those on here for whom even cleaning a van would be radical. Trim dressing ? Pah, can`t even see the dash for Woodbine packets, invoices and Mars bar wrappers on some vans.

What made you think I was landed gentry??????????

I was the scruffy urchin thrown out of a secondary school nickname A******Z as the pupils were all so happy. The ten foot metal spiked fence was to keep us in during the day and keep the pupils out at night to stop them setting fire to the school.

I went and served my time and as a plumber and went back to uni twice no grant or sponging off the parents and paid my own way whilst holding down senior positions in firms to get two 1st's.

Left the last firm, cleaned him through the tribunal and high court for trying to screw me and setup my own firm 16 years ago.

I still get my hands dirty whilst sitting on the board of some trade bodies.

I am a dirty handed bloke who occasionally has to wear a whistle and flute.
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 13 at 18:12

Ummmm, rabies, heat exhaustion if it gets mildly warm, mad cow disease, people driving in snow with summer tyres and absolutely NFI, crazed football fans, widespread looters (pretending to be rioters for a cause), depression caused by unending crap weather or cricketers that can't beat the aussies (oops, that last one is no longer true Embarrassed ) mad truck drivers from the continent ..... (and I'm sure the locals can add heaps more if they feel like it - just get +ve Al fired up and see what he comes up with)

Hey leave me out of it or I'll have to make a house call when next in your neck of the woods!Wink

After all oz land is only full of un desirables we no longer wanted here.LOL

Pity we still can't ship them to you, peado's, sex offenders, bent gangster bankers, scamming MP's, do gooders constantly crying about the crim's rights.

Maybe we could get a good deal on the Concorda tub, fill it up with undesirables, a few air bed and army ration packs and tow them to Qz land? What do you think GregApprove

Edited by Alonline - 08 Oct 13 at 18:18
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 13 at 18:32
Sunny yours may crawl up and bite you, sting you.

Our creeps about Westminster thinking up scams with bankers to raid what you have managed to save, make you enrol in pensions which they will rob before you can think about retirement, a health service due to cuts in nurses( Nurses, staff that work with patients are out of this world, it is the over paid numpties of management that need culled) and a contract that feather lines the doctors wallets not to work especially outside 9-5pm (no illness or injury outside office hours).

A tax department that will murder you for £5 but lets football clubs run up 59million vat bill and go bankrupt.

Sorry this was negative but truth hurts.

Definition of a useful MP, deceased, no longer scamming expenses, lining there pockets, there family pockets, we don't have to listen or see them on TV or radio, claiming a salary, bending the rules to get social housing for relations, claiming to be making peace whilst behaving like a three year olds, hiding there wife who shagged a chef half her age in London at tax payer expense, claiming Mont Blanc pens, duck houses  for their pons, dodgy £5 land deals, forgetting about Peado offences,  floating down the river providing fresh fish food for the fish by being recycled.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 13 at 00:34
Originally posted by Alonline Alonline wrote:

Hey leave me out of it or I'll have to make a house call when next in your neck of the woods!Wink

After all oz land is only full of un desirables we no longer wanted here.LOL

Pity we still can't ship them to you, peado's, sex offenders, bent gangster bankers, scamming MP's, do gooders constantly crying about the crim's rights.

Maybe we could get a good deal on the Concorda tub, fill it up with undesirables, a few air bed and army ration packs and tow them to Qz land? What do you think GregApprove

I was talking about +ve Al, (you know, the one who has taken all his medications and is feeling happy about everything, not -ve Al).Wink

As far as shipping undesirables off to the antipodes, didn't you know we've started sending them back to good old mother England (eg Rolf Harris, heaps of those greedy Merchant Bankers, Company CEOs etc).  Tongue

Although recently we do seem to have scored a few bent footballers who come here and play for obscure 2nd rate teams for almost nothing to help the match fixers clean up by betting on unlikely results.  They were doing well too, until some of the betting companies that were losing money decided to investigate and pass the results on to the police.

Our politicians are no better than yours, corruption, snouts in the trough.  Just recently a new lot came into power and suddenly they are all paying back travel expenses for going to mate's weddings and the like because it was a bit "ambiguous" whether they were entitled to it or not.  And this was after hounding and ex-member of their own party for using a govt car for private purposes.

F'ing Hypocrites !!!! Angry

Edited by gregozedobe - 09 Oct 13 at 00:35
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 13 at 07:21
A few observations of life,
You grow up being told,"If you rob a bank you go to jail."
If bankers rob the public they get paid bonuses?
You work hard and toil away and someday you may get to retire and enjoy a few months before grim reaper arrives, or Turn up in the UK say the magic password asylum and they give you everything you ever wanted in life, don't work and rob and steal. The do gooders  and the legal aid system will bled the public purse dry to insure you have more Human Rights than the original occupants who work and pay taxes to fund your stay.

What country will take the native Anglo Saxon and provide such a gold plated service to us when we all need to leave due to over crowding and we will be infringing on the asylum seeker Human Right to space?

Mad cow disease, nearly missed that, that was another class A one where government allowed animal feed companies to mix dead animal parts into animals feed for creatures which were meant only to eat plants, when it all goes tits up and the disease starts the farmer cry allot as usual, the tax payer has to stump up for massive bar b q to get rid of the dead ones and compensate the farmers and the scamming animal feed companies walk away counting the wedge they made! 

Greg You's lot have all that big space in the center, miles and miles of it I reckon we could get a 1/2 a billon packed in there and the prospect for all the corner shops is massive.

Do you ever think our previous generations had got a few things right possibly?

Why when Mr average get caught owing a few bob either from social or tax the get crucified but when MP's are caught funding their family, duck houses, fixing there non London residences at tax payers expenses they get to pay it back with no consequences or interest?

I believe the French although crap with vehicle electrics had the right idea with the head chopper thingy, would make better TV than big brother!

At least even with the craziest dictator there is a degree of common sense. 

Edited by Alonline - 10 Oct 13 at 07:28
sunny43.5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunny43.5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 13 at 10:52
We have enough trouble here in Aus with boatloads of supposed displaced persons , if we stuck them in the centre of Australia the Indigenous population would put the kibosh on that real quick as its their ancestral home and as such they have control , even Ayers rock is under the original owners control . Then all the bloody do gooders would claim that we are being inhumane by making them stay in the outback . I have had the solution for years but no one seems to agree , we should have an old nearly out of service Jumbo parked in the west and every time a boatload arrives fly them straight back to their country of origin end of problem , like Monopoly go straight back do not pass go do not collect 200 just go back .
wigwam View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigwam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 13 at 13:43
Yet, the Detail Doctor(DD) I applied 10 days ago(2 Oct 2013) still looks good - that "wet" look.   Touch wise, DD does not achieve the same degree of slipperiness as say Armorall, and tends to accumulate dust.  The dust does not stick however - it's just less likely to fall off any horizontal surface.   My main concern was the cost of "Armorall" protectant when how quickly it fades is considered.  Detail Doctor seems a clear winner there.   But if DD lasts, can Armorall be applied over the top of it?  - as a way of getting a better restored surface.  Don't know yet.

ps. Confusion was created by my using the term "Glad Wrap" in my original message about the plastic restorer called Detail Doctor(DD).  As pointed out, "cling wrap" etc. would have been a more general term as "Glad" is a brand.   Like saying Vegemite instead of yeast extract.  Or Armorall instead of protectant. Or English when talking about something commonly British. 

Cheaper On The Net
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>