The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Decision time...!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Decision time...!
    Posted: 09 Dec 14 at 00:39
So, the time has come when I finally think my bus is too far past it to carry on, even though the mot has got 6 months to run...

335,000 miles and never really misses a beat, but the list of things needing doing is growing daily...

- Rewiring (electrics are REALLY bad)
- leaking roof, started rotting the floor out
- needs welding on the rear arches, corners, windscreen surround and roof edge...
- exhaust is knackered
- engine hasn't got too much more on the clock to go with
- interior needs gutting and redoing as it's fexked
- rear tyres need doing
- leaf springs probably need doing

So it can, realistically, no longer be legitimately used as a bus, and it needs a shit load of work to last another year

My other LT panel van is much better, mechanically - and offers a much better base for a vehicle... Whatever I decide to do with it.

Is it time to bite the bullet and kill off the minibus?!

She's never really let me down and has been my partner in crime for a long while... Also, not really worth any money to sell...

...but, she just needs so much work! And anything I do will just be money going into a pit!

What to do?!?!
Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
- 1984 Volvo/VanHool Alizee
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 14 at 00:43
Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
Canada LT28 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 14 at 00:50
Is that the one you want to bin or the LT2?

She is way better in the rust department than my DOKA. Springs? doesn't look sagging. Engine, get a LR 200TDI, electrics.....something to do when you are boredBig smile

Edited by Canada LT28 - 09 Dec 14 at 00:54
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Slow and built to stay that way
87 T3 soon to be a camper
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 14 at 06:22
At least you can get around in something else while you fix.

- Rewiring (electrics are REALLY bad)  I hate electrics but can make new looms fine. There is nothing unusual in the LT.

- leaking roof, started rotting the floor out. The roof is glued on, so you can reseal the whole thing, two tubes, or just repair the bit that leaks.

- needs welding on the rear arches, corners, windscreen surround and roof edge... We are all in the same boat there, except Mike, CanadaLT28, who only has half a van.

- exhaust is knackered. Readily available.

- engine hasn't got too much more on the clock to go with. More of an issue, but still doable depending on pennies and time.

- interior needs gutting and redoing as it's fexked. Depends how bad and how much of a hurry.

- rear tyres need doing. Only two though. I have had more punctures in two years of ownership than in all my riding/driving prior.

- leaf springs probably need doing. Recent threads but still available second hand.

You already knew all of that, I know, but time is the main thing you need, and if you can take time, then you can wait for the bits to arrive as and when. I have just spent a chunk on panels, but am now looking for a car, so I can find the time to fit them without losing the ability to move about. More pennies.

Put in some time and a little money and you will have a lovely useful van again.
Originally posted by Canada LT28 Canada LT28 wrote:

Is that the one you want to bin or the LT2?
Not a panelvan Mike, so that will be the 97 MiniBus. No LT2 here.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
timaldiss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timaldiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 14 at 20:56
That's a very late LT 1 too... well worth rescuing. Pitch it to the VOLT group on FB Gareth
-------
I have a history of VW LT camper van addiction: http://campervanman.co.uk
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 14 at 21:07
Originally posted by timaldiss timaldiss wrote:

That's a very late LT 1 too... well worth rescuing. Pitch it to the VOLT group on FB Gareth
Thumbs Up 

Sadly looking for a Passat/Octavia?A4/A6 which needs nothing, but fuel.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 14 at 22:35
So - after the motivational speeches from above... I've pulled my finger out and sorted out some of the electric issues, and sorted out some of the other little problems (lots of bodged sealant has solved the roof / windscreen leaks, and lots of new wiring joints, switches and replacement relays have helped solve some of the electrical issues - coupled with the fact they're no longer being dripped on...) 

I work in motorsport for a racing team, and its the "off" season at the minute, so work has to take priority as we're in full swing designing next year's car - time to spend on the van is precious and rare...

At some point I'm going to have to bite the bullet and do a full and painful restoration or a scrapping, it's gotta go one way or the other... but she'll live on for another year!

Edited by icky - 29 Dec 14 at 22:38

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
lorryloader View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 14 at 12:38
Some great encouragement from the other's so please do persevere as LT camper 89 say's we all have most of the problem's mentioned don't ever think of killing her ! What other van has that lovable retro shape ? and size ?
LT-45 HIGH TOP + LT-55-BEVERTAIL.Mercedes Atego tilt n slide with lorry loader crane.
 Post Reply Post Reply