The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

dashboard misbehaving

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dashboard misbehaving
    Posted: 12 Mar 16 at 22:06
i laid up my t5 130 for five months. the battery went flat so i put it on charge and it fired up no problem, except the abs and handbrake lights stay on. i took it for a drive the speedo does not work and the fuel gauge seems to loosely follow the tacho , the yellow fault light comes on, the mileometer and trip do not work. when i start it there are three audible beeps, sometimes the handbrake light goes off when driving. before i laid it up it all worked faultlessly. also the abs does not work i can now skid to a halt. any help appreciated
Berisford View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berisford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 16 at 22:15
Crikey!
Senate Square, Helsinki, 12 June 1993.
VW master-tech View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW master-tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 16 at 22:46
Sounds like the abs control unit is knackered, a quick search on here will give you all the info you need
VW WORX VCDS retrofitting and coding carried out, cruise control, mfsw, dis, locking adaptions pm for a quote
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 16 at 23:08
Yep, MT beat me to the punch.  I'm afraid those are classic symptoms.  You will probably end up needing a complete ABS pump.   There are endless threads on this here and also via google.  You can try and get the ABS pump fixed but for this particular fault it will usually come back as 'unrepairable'.  If you are paying for everything you are looking at close to £1000.  

If only everything was as reliable as a Volkswagen eh?   Ouch
2004 2.5 174
roadhog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 16 at 23:49
thats a bummer, any idea why not using the van would cause that?
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 16 at 10:48
It might be worth checking that the alternator voltage isn't going too high when the engine is running.  If it does this can cause a myriad of problems as VW controllers can't cope with too high a voltage.  Look for a maximum of 14.5V when the engine is running.  This may not be the cause of your problems but it is at least quick, easy and cheap to check.
smidsy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smidsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 16 at 22:25

ABS units are very sensitive to voltage changes as it could be a fault on the braking system.

i was recently looking at having to get a new abs unit but decided to have a go repairing it first. Reckoned that faced with a 1k+ bill i would have nothing to lose. for me it worked.

before i had a go i made sure that nothing else could cause the problem, new battery, new fluids in the brake & clutch system, checked voltage at all the abs plugs on the wheel, wiggled the wires under the seat and reset the fault codes a few times.

the job of repair basically involves taking the controller unit apart and resoldering the connectors, used these forum posts as a guide.

http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/53360-how-i-fix-my-abs-pump-01276-without-paying-penny.html

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=211776.0

the inside of the t5 controller is not identical to those in the posts but the technique is the same.

get the fault codes read and post them up on here. 01276 seem to be the death signal from the abs unit.
roadhog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 16 at 23:25
thanks for the info do the cheap fault code readers work? the wiring under the passenger seat is interesting as i have changed that seat. also if the worst comes to the worst do you know if the abs pump or control unit on the t5 is used on other vehicles?
smidsy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smidsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 16 at 20:40

i use one of those cheap ebay leads and a copy of vag-com on the laptop. good enough for reading codes and clearing them.
 once tried a cheap RAC branded reader from argos. did not work on the T5
 i noticed whilst reserching my problem that there are a few different  types of controller just for the T5, wouldn't want to think about trying to use one off an other type vehicle. Also read that any new controller needs to be coded to your specific van.
smidsy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smidsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 16 at 20:50
One other thing is to check the fuses near the battery, there are a couple of 30amp fuses directly relating to the ABS and one 5 amp. A lot of the Tec guides point to starting there. take them out, give the contacts a clean and slide them back in and out a few times to make sure the connections are really good.
roadhog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 16 at 20:58
thanks again for the info i will get a lead and have a go at the weekend
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 16 at 19:19
Newer vehicles do not like the battery dying slowly no matter what make.

I use a solar panel thrown up on the dashboard and linked in to battery so as the sun rises the battery get a boost each day stopping the battery dying. I had similar problem twice on Porsche's and tech told me to keep them trickle charged if laying up or lift the battery out/ disconnect.

Bit late for u though.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 16 at 23:55
Can you swap in a known good battery just to see if that solves the problems for you ?  Doesn't have to be the exact same size as the original.
roadhog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 16 at 00:54
i can change the battery. the old one charged no problem and holds charge i have tested it with a volt meter it should be ok
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 16 at 10:07
Unless you test with a large load tester (the ones that heat up like a toaster) then a battery may appear OK to a volt meter but not be able to deliver enough current when cranking the starter motor.  

What is the voltage at the battery when the starter motor is cranking, and again when the engine has been running (fast, above idle) for several minutes ?
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 16 at 23:30
A battery without load will tell you virtually nothing.
Dub4life View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dub4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 16 at 13:39
Actually the ABS repairs can be done by ECU testing Limited at a reasonable £200-300
I had mine rebuilt, it came back and ran super smooth for two years until last weekend, I think it's gone again..... but they do offer a lifetime warranty if it is!
Motexion, not cheap plywood!
Dub4life View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dub4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 16 at 07:56
So, my dash has gone kaput tooOuch , Can network errors, gateway signal- comms fault, coincidently my van is now laid up and only gets a driven once a week??

So my question is: Anyone know how easy the clocks come out? Can anyone write a brief description or point me to a thread??
The garage said if I can do it myself I'll save money.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 16 at 09:44
There's a video here.  The sensible part starts at about 1 minute in. Wink
2004 2.5 174
Dub4life View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dub4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 16 at 09:59
Thanks dude, Just as a matter of info for people:
A new cluster is £480 but if you part ex your fucked one they give you £204 back as part ex! TPS parts.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>