The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDangerous Airbag.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dangerous Airbag.
    Posted: 08 May 07 at 17:01

My van went in to the garage today for it's first service. I asked them to look at a couple of things which included the steering wheel airbag cover, as it seemed to click up about 10mm after about half an hours worth of driving, it would easily click back down, but I found it quite annoying.

Then this afternoon, I had a phone call telling me that it would need to stay in for another 2 days to sort it out, because they believed if the airbag needed to be deployed, then the catch may not work properly and I would receive a un-inflated airbag and plastic cover to the face at high velocity!!!

It's not all bad, as I have a 130 caravelle SE as a replacement, very nice! It is so much quieter inside and the leather seats are great! But, I think all the refinements make it a much heavier vehicle, and whilst it is still an excellent drive, my 174 Kombi is much more fun, especially when the seats are out and it's empty!

Kombi 174. Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.
The Transporter View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 07 at 18:50
For my money they could take the airbag out and throw it in the bin. Only the automotive industry could think that an explosive device inches from the face is a good idea. As for passenger airbags, how many passengers have you seen with their feet up on the dash? 
2004 174bhp AXE engine..... Belligerence has been confirmed.
CLONKY View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 07 at 19:01
I'd agree there Transporter- my last vans, which i sourced as imports didnt have them and therefore didnt get the air bag light fault light come on like my car did. My concern is that air bags have a life of about 8 years (i think) and at that stage of a vehicles life it could render it scrap, should your insurance company insist they are renewed...
oN tHe InSiDe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 07 at 18:27
VW now say an airbag will last the life of the vehicle (providing it doesnt develop a fault.....or go off!!)
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 07 at 18:37
It would be kinda fun to fill them with confetti.

My idea of good road safety would involve an eight inch steel spike in the middle of the steering wheel...Just to focus the mind. I have suggested it to several car manufacturers but oddly enough no one has taken my idea up as yet.
AndySimpson View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Mister Jager!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 07 at 19:34
Originally posted by oN tHe InSiDe oN tHe InSiDe wrote:

VW now say an airbag will last the life of the vehicle (providing it doesnt develop a fault.....or go off!!)

Yes like the post above saying they should 8 years, most new vw's won't last 8 years
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 07 at 12:08
Originally posted by oN tHe InSiDe oN tHe InSiDe wrote:

Ha! when the airbag light comes on, then that is the end of the life for the vehicle
 Post Reply Post Reply