The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cylinder Head

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northyorkspaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cylinder Head
    Posted: 09 Aug 09 at 22:37
Hello,I seem to be the only commercial van here?.....not a camper can I still be here?.....looks like I may have to do the head gasket on my 95 LT40 2.4td......anyone know any problems with this job?....it looks like it been leaking out the back of the head gasket rear of engine...water light was flashing so topped up.....ran 150 miles then came on again....looked under engine and no leaks but signs of leak at gasket so phaps only leaks when full?..
thal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 09 at 11:08
I had the same prob occur two days before our honeymoon trip to Shetland I bought sme additive which looks like liqiud copper bunged it in and hey presto it sealed up a treat I did another 10k before a slipped timing belt destroyed the engine it may be worth a try cheaper than doing a head gasket
Terry
2.4 td high top home conversion And2.4td LWB high top van
Roger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 09 at 14:05
Thal's coppery sealant sounds like K-Seal http://www.kalimex.co.uk/section.html?secpath=01.04.&pgid=17
Should be available at your local auto parts dealer.  Worked a treat on my radiator.
1989 LT31 Florida 2.4TD
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 09 at 14:11
"ltman" is also running an LT as a commercial vehicle as part of his removals business!

the only thing i have to add to what roger and Thal suggested is to act sooner rather than later! don't want it getting any worse or it could damage other bits of t'engine
Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
- 1984 Volvo/VanHool Alizee
markpark View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markpark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 09 at 20:09
Personally I would sort it properly rather than leaving it and needing a new head. If you are pulling the head off then you may as well do cambelt, waterpump etc. If you do take the head off then make sure you get it checked for cracks etc.
DJ T3 homrbrew camper and 98 LT 2.5 TDI crew van
northyorkspaul View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northyorkspaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 09 at 01:17
Hello,thanks for the replies...well just done 400 miles to Cromer and back and not used a drop of water no lights and no leaks....so just going to keep an i on it for now.....the k seal sounds good to have on stock anyway!......cheers......wish they did an overdrive lol.
northyorkspaul View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northyorkspaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 09 at 01:19
oh and although it seems to be revving like blazes at 50mph its done 19mpg, big luton loaded 1 way so not to bad I guess......
 Post Reply Post Reply