The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Coolant light on, not losing coolant or o/heating
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coolant light on, not losing coolant or o/heating

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hydra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coolant light on, not losing coolant or o/heating
    Posted: 06 Apr 18 at 17:36
Hi all,

I have a 1983 VW LT40 horsebox - after about 40 miles, the coolant light comes on, but the coolant is totally topped up and the temperature is down at the low end of the normal range. The light doesn't go off and the temp doesn't go up (according to the gauge) - the coolant level doesn't change. Can anyone tell me what might be going?  Thanks in advance.
Monster LT View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 18 at 22:41
Could be the water level switch on the header tank. Does the light go out if you shut off the engine and start it again immediately. Although...
 funky_monkey View Drop Down

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options
  Thanks (1) Thanks(1)
  Quote funky_monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 18 at 08:41
Hi Mate, I've enjoyed reading your post, thought I'd make a few points, I've owned and worked on many old Lt's nearly all have the red light flashing when it shouldn't be, it is for the coolent level, i think it's a problem in the dash rather than the sender on tank.

Edited by Monster LT - 06 Apr 18 at 22:48
LT45-TD-ACL-intercooler-4x4-1993
Hydra View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hydra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 18 at 11:33
Thanks guys - I do hope that's all it is. Can I assume that it is OK to drive as long as it is not overheating and the coolant level is OK?
Hydra View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hydra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 18 at 18:51
I think this is now solved - thanks every one.

I removed the water level switch from the header tank - it seemed to be flooded with water and was caked - I've cleaned it and replaced it and also reduced the water level in the header tank a bit as I think it was a bit over the maximum. Now the light isn't coming on - it still flickers on when you turn the glow plugs on as it is supposed to do, but goes out once the engine is started - I am starting to think I may have just had too much water in the header tank!
nooberdoober View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 18 at 12:25
Nice! I'll be interested to see if that has any effect on mine once its back together. Mine used to be fine. The light came on one day and never went out. Be good if that's the fix. I always presumed it was electrical earth related.
I got me a 2.4 straight Six......and it's a soundin JUICY!

1984 LT40 2.4 petrol Coachbuilt Autotrail Motorhome
Hydra View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hydra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 18 at 19:10
Yeah, essentially it was electrical - the dirt on the sensor and the fact it was getting flooded I think were the issues. 
VW LT40 Mk1 1983, 2.4 6 cy;l diesel, 3.5 tonne (downrated from 4t) was Horsebox now Campervan
 Post Reply Post Reply