The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

coolant in the intakes manifold

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitchinbadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: coolant in the intakes manifold
    Posted: 22 Nov 15 at 12:13

Hi all, firstly thanks to all that helped me find a new cylinder head for my 6 cylinder 2.4 petrol 1991 lt 28. after many many hours and much expense I managed to get it all together however came across a rather curios problem. After I filled the coolant system I was double checking a few things and as I was turning the engine over by hand I got covered in water from the plug holes. Seems the cylinders had all filled with water !!!!!!! the coolant is filling up the inlet manifold then the cylinders, why ???? what have I done wrong, why does a pipe from the coolant have a direct route through to the engine inlet? I imagined the pipes may be routed through channels in the inlet manifold to warm it but I don’t understand this at all. I need to get the van running and moved by next week or its going to the scrap yard as ive nowhere to keep it after this week. I’ve spent over £600 and a good weeks work on it but I think ive had enough now. The van is in beautiful condition bodywork fantastic I just want to get her going mot it and then pass it onto someone who will use it, any help it goes without saying much appreciated thanks matt.

pitchinbadger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitchinbadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 15 at 12:16

Hi all, firstly thanks to all that helped me find a new cylinder head for my 6 cylinder 2.4 petrol 1991 lt 28. after many many hours and much expense I managed to get it all together however came across a rather curios problem. After I filled the coolant system I was double checking a few things and as I was turning the engine over by hand I got covered in water from the plug holes. Seems the cylinders had all filled with water !!!!!!! the coolant is filling up the inlet manifold then the cylinders, why ???? what have I done wrong, why does a pipe from the coolant have a direct route through to the engine inlet? I imagined the pipes may be routed through channels in the inlet manifold to warm it but I don’t understand this at all. I need to get the van running and moved by next week or its going to the scrap yard as ive nowhere to keep it after this week. I’ve spent over £600 and a good weeks work on it but I think ive had enough now. The van is in beautiful condition bodywork fantastic I just want to get her going mot it and then pass it onto someone who will use it, any help it goes without saying much appreciated thanks matt.

ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 15 at 12:19
Had the engine been running since you refitted the cylinder head? It does sound rather like the head gasket is allowing water into the cylinders? Although seems odd that there's a lot in there..... Not very good news either way.... Can't really see how coolant would get in the cylinder unless you've got a cylinder head or cylinder head gasket issue?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitchinbadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 15 at 12:26
hi not had her running yet since fitting new cylinder head, replaced head bolts gaskets etc by the book the water is defo coming into the engine via the intake manifold its full of water. when i took the carb back off it was literally full of water from the coolant system. i checked the pipes and the one closest to the engine left hand side of the manifold fills the manifold up, why ????? all the pipes have gone back as they were what have i missed 
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 15 at 16:20
Is the inlet water cooled?
If so perhaps its cracked internally
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitchinbadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 15 at 16:57
Nope not a crack in intake or head it's literally gussing in and filling up the inlet manifold via the header tank and filling the cylinders via the inlet valves did leakage test today nothing so what have I missed mental ahhhhhhhhhh I'm going to try and just re route pipes away from inlet manifold to see if I can get her going and moved, very very frustrating
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 15 at 17:31
Dont know anything about LTs, but..............

Is any of carb/manifold waterheated? You couldnt of really fucked up and connected a water pipe to the servo outlet etc could you?
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitchinbadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 15 at 17:35
Nope but thanks, think ill just block off the inlet from the header and see what happens bizare
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 15 at 10:51

Even if the inlet manifold is water cooled and possibly cracked internally as Jason suggested I can't really see it 'gushing' into the manifold as you describe, so I'm with Elvis really, it sounds as if you're getting water into the manifold at that sort of rate it has to be a coolant pipe wrongly connected (possibly heater inlet or outlet hose, I would think that's the kind of size of hose you're talking about) either way if you are certain that is how the coolant is entering the cylinders (through the manifold) disconnect the hose blank it with a plug (bolt) and jubilee clip and do the same with a piece of hose and plug to the manifold connection then you should be able to fire up the motor (making sure you empty the cylinders before you put the plugs back in and everything else being set up OK) and check whether you're getting any through flow through the heater matrix or any servo for the brakes, can't really see any other way you could be getting that amount of coolant into the manifold.

NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitchinbadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 15 at 11:28
Spooky that's exactly what I'm trying now , fingers crossed
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 15 at 21:54
New cylinder head you say?

If its deffo not coolant pipe, is it a possibility that differing models/years/engines had differing head castings?

Same as JX/GTD head swap and having to bung one of the waterways? Maybe there is an extra waterway that should be bunged or its the wrong head?

As previous, dont know owt about LTs..................

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitchinbadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 15 at 08:20
sussed it thanks school boy error on my part 
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 15 at 12:19
And.........

Glad it's fixed chap. Hope it was cheap and easy.

LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 15 at 18:31
Leave the schoolboys and RTFM Wink

Good news.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitchinbadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 15 at 19:37
You guys are sooooooo helpful thank you , matt
robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 15 at 09:20
C'mon we need to know what the school boy error was.......your not getting away with it that easy....

There's banter to be had

1985 LT40 2.4TD Coach built Pioneer Diamond
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
Tiggerandfish View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiggerandfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 15 at 16:45
And as well as banter it would be good to know the easy to make mistakes to avoid 😀😀😀 spill the beans .....
Simon
1985 LT 28 2.4D
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitchinbadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 15 at 18:05
Despite my fool proof method of physically marking parts as I take them off pipes wires etc it seems I labeled the pipes wrong and got them mixed up ....... Rather annoying to say the least and perhaps not the best of ideas seeing as I just followed my own mistake blindly. As soon as I looked at it I saw what I had done and felt rather stupid to say the least all that work and cash could of gone down the plug hole if I hadn't re checked everything. Now rather annoyingly I've got to set the carb up to run on petrol as I'm out of gas and it's running way too rich. It's a pierberg 2e2 but looks to me as it's had some one play with it so I'm not looking forward to tomorrow at all. Got to get it running right for Monday when it's being taken away to the garage for the mot which it will fail on emissions at this rate, I've just about had enough of this grrrrrrrrrrr
Tiggerandfish View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiggerandfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 15 at 18:10
I've been there and refused to accept the obvious . To make you feel better when out walking once myself and my partner navigated a waypoint using a herd of cows and blindly refused to see our obvious error ..... Cows move around You will get there and let's hope the mot gods are on your side . Good luck !
Simon
1985 LT 28 2.4D
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitchinbadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 15 at 18:15
Cheers Simon let's see how tomorrow goes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>