The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coilovers vs springs...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maxb10v8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coilovers vs springs...
    Posted: 19 Aug 17 at 23:18
Hi,
I have Bilstein coilovers fitted to my van. The fronts are at the lowest, tears not quite.
My better half has commented that she finds the ride harsh. I guess it and I'm used to it.

So my question is, will the ride improve if I wind me coilovers up?

I guess the shocks will be less compressed?
I'm contemplating going to springs and shocks. We use the van as our family holiday bus so I want my passengers to be comfortable.
Cheers, Max
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 17 at 03:31
If you are frequently bottoming out on the bump stops then raising your ride height might help a bit, but it may also firm up the movement slightly as it increases the pre-load on the springs.
Maxb10v8 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maxb10v8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 17 at 23:12
Would the position of the piston in the damper change the hardness?!
I think I'm going to go for springs and shocks.
I would normally always go for coilovers, but on my Alpina B10aka I went for Apex springs on standard M5 shocks and the ride height is just right and the ride feels perfect!
Scimdiesel View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scimdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 17 at 21:35
The damper will work the same throughout its stroke. Springs do not get stiffer if the spring seats are raised only the ride height increases.   But if your bouncing off the spring aids or even just riding them a little this will increase the stiffness and give a choppy ride.   If it's a camper get the Mrs to sit in the rear.   She can play with the dildo.   You won't hear the moaning.   Everyone's a winner :)
Without engineers science is just philosophy..... Joined the revolution with a 18 year old TDI :
 Post Reply Post Reply