The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > South African T3s
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clutch help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clutch help
    Posted: 04 Dec 15 at 15:58
Although its not a SA T3 , my panel van is fitted with an audi 2.3 engine, it needs a clutch . Im guessing i need the equivalent clutch for a factory 2.3 [ mine is currently fitted with a custom / home made bellhousing fitted several owners and 12+ years ago], I believe the current friction plate is from a 1.9wbx
i have a new Sa bellhousing to go on
any pointers on part numbers and/ or suppliers?

cheers
marlinowner View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marlinowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 15 at 13:56
Hi, I have a SA 2.5 van. The SA bellhousing has a 24 spline input shaft, if you are using the Audi flywheel then you want a 240mm clutch such as LUK 624083900. However be aware that the original SA clutches have the clutch plate centre boss offset towards the gearbox, using the above LUK clutch will mean the input shaft splines are not fully engaged with the clutch plate. Whether or not that is a problem in the real world I'm not sure, I had my original clutch reconditioned but you won't have that option.
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 15 at 14:06
Thumbs Upthanks
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 16 at 16:45
right the garage has it apart and as far as we can tell it has an AUDI pressure plate and a T3 1.9 228mm friction plate

i got a new fricton plate and the SA bellhousing has been fitted to the box BUT the pressure plate fouls on the bellhousing so do i need a SA2.3 Clutch?  , Will  it fit my flywheel, if so where do i get one from? any part numbers
any one have any info?
Im starting to wish i had not kept the 5cyl engine now
Cheers

Edited by booted - 05 Feb 16 at 16:47
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 16 at 17:13
Marlinowner so the LUK 624083900 clutch for an audi  and should fit my flywheel ? theexiting clutch fouls the SA bellhousing but im not sure if its going tobe the same as the LUK one you mention or somthing else theonly p[art number i can find is on the pressure plate 124 0056 10
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 16 at 19:39
What engine code is your 2.3?
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 16 at 20:30
Its NG block
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 16 at 20:33
I rhink i need to find out which flywheel is on it. I suspect its the audi which i believe would be 228mm?
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 16 at 20:43
That's why it's not fitting. Wrong flywheel. The ng flywheel is the more modern flat type, VWSA used the older recessed type as found on the Audi ur Quattros.
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 16 at 20:45
They should all be 240mm.
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 16 at 20:57
Thanks for that
So i need a quattro flywheel ? And its 240mm? Might sound daft but are the pressure plates different between ng & quattro? Will i have to get the sa clutch or is there and easier to get hold of alternative the current set up worked well (228 T3 friction plate)

T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 16 at 21:11
You could use a gearbox spacer if your happy with the old clutch set up, cheaper, easier option. Audi S2 6 speed has the spacer which is about 10 mm thick, fits straight on.
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 16 at 21:25
Thanks nev you have been a big help. This is was starting to be the most expensive oil leak ive ever had.
Will the input shaft be long enough
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 16 at 21:31
You will have to get your measuring stick out.
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 16 at 21:35
I think the spacer method has been used before on a t3 but on a syncro, should be ok but measure carefully.
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 16 at 21:47
I will start searching cheers
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 16 at 20:05
ive got lots of measurements off the audi box if thats of any use boo? looked to be mostly relevant when looking at my petrol box/v6 conv
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 16 at 06:03
Yes please Rowlesy might come in handy
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 16 at 16:03
i have done a bit of digging and  i think the  S2/RS spacer is part no 01E 103 551 i cant find one or its thicknes , there are several others with the same part number but various sufixes i dont know yet if these are different shapes  and or thicknesses.
hopefully i can get to the garage tomorrow and measure both the flywheel and any difference between the 2 bellhousings
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 16 at 16:51
I have a ur Quattro with the engine out. Will measure its clutch and flywheel as this should be the same as the SA clutch and flywheel. You can then compare measurements between the two.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>