The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clunk When Going Over Bump / Pothole

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clunk When Going Over Bump / Pothole
    Posted: 25 Jul 17 at 17:16
I noticed this a few weeks back.

The odd time when I'd hit a speed bump a bit too fast, or an extra deep example of one of our many potholes, I'd hear a 'clunk' noise from underneath the driver's seat. Took Herman out for a spin today and it was happening more often. at least three or four times, on fairly moderate holes and bumps.

I'm assuming one of the shocks is on its way out and the clunk is the front coil bottoming out. But thought I'd run it past you guys, before I start shelling out for a pair of new shocks --just in case there's anything else I should check?

And, on the subject, anyone got any tips for testing a shock in situ? I've had a look at it and it's not leaking or obviously rusted through but seeing as it sits inside the spring, it's not that easy to give it the once over. I've thought of jacking up the front of the van to let the wheel hang and extend the shock, so I can check for leakage round the shaft [if it'll extend far enough]. But short of jacking it up and then letting down the jack quickly to see if I can see the spring bottoming out [which doesn't seem very scientific], I'm open to ideas.
1993 LT35 2,4D hi-top

my camper conversion blog: |carry on herman|
robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 17 at 10:05
Presuming coil spring front end?

Check the anti roll bar bushes.......

to be fair there isn't that much to go wrong with them but you'll only really tell once its jacked up....

Shocker failure
Spring snapped
wishbone bushes
roll bar bushes
something really stupid swing about under there like a cyclist
Empty beer bottle under the drivers seat

Smile
1985 LT40 2.4TD Coach built Pioneer Diamond
madra View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 17 at 11:36
Thanks. I think I can rule out the last two. But I'll take a look at the others on the list.

Needless to say, I took him out for a run this morning and went over several potholes and speed bumps and not a clunk out of him.

Bloody typical!
1993 LT35 2,4D hi-top

robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 17 at 09:29
Maybe the cyclist has fallen out somewhere?.........
1985 LT40 2.4TD Coach built Pioneer Diamond
madra View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 17 at 09:41
That'll be it.
1993 LT35 2,4D hi-top

ottoMan View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ottoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 17 at 06:49
Originally posted by robbydoo robbydoo wrote:

Empty beer bottle under the drivers seat

Smile

Happened to me more than once... Big smile
1980 Pop Top LT28 2.0 Petrol converted by Karroseriefabrik Voll von Wurzburg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic