The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Choosing offroad or A/T tyres for a 2WD LT1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rafollos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Choosing offroad or A/T tyres for a 2WD LT1
    Posted: 10 Nov 19 at 16:03
Hi,

I'm on a finish line with building the interior on my '91 LT, and I'm planning a trip through Ukraine, Russia and Georgia. Since I'm leaving for Ukraine in the middle of December, I am reading about choosing the right tyres - the rear of the van does not really have that much weight, so I'm worried about the grip.

So, the question is, shall I stick with stock 14 inch wheels, or get something new? I see that that the van sits quite high, so there is definitely a room for bigger/fatter tyres.
I don't think that I'm going to offroad much, but it would be nice to sometimes skip the paved roads and camp somewhere more remote. I wonder if good tyres will make a positive difference (I guess yes).

So I haven't found that much info about using A/T tyres on an LT to increase the grip. I know a lot of people do that to their T3's, including one friend of mine, nevertherless, I couldn't find much info about the owners of LT's nad particular model of tyres that they are using.

Any recommendations? Somebody already tried some sort of a conversion, changed the wheels, has any good references for good tyres that might be right for LT's?

Cheers everyone, and thanks in advance!
Raf
Buss Marius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buss Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 19 at 09:25
Wow you are realy a deardevil, driving in Russia in the Winter is not nessecerly just a walk in the park. After seeing a lot of youtube wideos of russians driving in the Winter i would be realy afraid to drive there. I think most of the problems we see on those youtube wideos are due to the tires. They have hard rubber in their tires, for long milage, but that gives bad Winter performance, and the problem is not to get up the hill, but to be able to stop, going down. A good summer and winter tire does not exist.
Well, it is up to you, The 2wd LT is not a very good offroader anyway. But what about some road-terrain tyres? Not that good for real offroad, butt les noisy on the road and gives better fuel economy. I have 15inch aluminium Wheels from a Ford Transit on my Karmann LT (mega Wheels Ferrarar 5), i had to get New studs and bolts, and they goes on without anny modifications they are ET 53 instead of the original ET 51 The tyres are 3,2% bigger than the original tyres, and it is stil a lot more Space, for even bigger tyres.   
87 Karmann LT L 2,4D. 89 T3 Syncro Reimo 1,9TD. 2000 T4 Caravelle TDI
rafollos View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rafollos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 19 at 21:24
Hey! So yeah, I read abou the transit wheels, and I think I'm gonna go for that. 
But which wheels are those exactly? There were a lot of transits around, so I'm not sure which specifit wheels should I look for.

Any tyres recommendation for those transit wheels? Definitely A/T, but road-terrain are also interesting hm.

Buss Marius - would any Transit wheels fit? I don't care about the looks, most of the cash would be spend for the tyres anyways

Cheers!
Raf
rafollos View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rafollos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 19 at 21:42
I was looking at BF Goodrich AT or General Grabber At or At2 (they have good opinions).
Would 215/75/R15 fit those Transit Wheels?
 Post Reply Post Reply