Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Bus Park
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chappy's Winter Florida Fettling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 13 at 22:02
Starting to measure, cut and lay first strips:

Rest cut and fitted:

Protective covering removed:

Back in the slow lane, yeah!
t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 13 at 11:04
Nice mate ,
so what have you used and where from , mine will need doing soon for the same reason
Have you a close up picture of the stuff
LT28 Westfalia FloRida, 2.4 diesel

miserable fooker

Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 13 at 22:05
Originally posted by t'onion t'onion wrote:

so what have you used and where from,
Have you a close up picture of the stuff

Haven't got a close up handy, will try to get one though.

This is the stuff:  click me

Just enough to do the whole job with about a foot to spare in case you gash part of it up Big smile

Edited by Chappy - 26 Mar 13 at 22:27
ttcharlie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttcharlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 13 at 12:26
How is the fix up of this van going? Is it all done now? Is it ready for the Mackeral season!!
Counting Bricks.....
tamarin08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamarin08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 13 at 07:56
Hi Chappy,
New to the forum on the search for Florida info.. So many answers in all your posts - soo helpful - great work!! Were the old rear tyres 205R or smaller? I'm looking to lower revs at cruising speed and wondering about upping the rear tyre circumference. Are your front and rear the same size? I think I must have the shortest ratio diff fitted: 55mph at just under 3000rpm off to whip out the boiler panel and check that pipe for corrosion as our boiler is working
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 13 at 21:20
Originally posted by tamarin08 tamarin08 wrote:

Hi Chappy,
Were the old rear tyres 205R or smaller? 

The original tyres that were fitted were 185's and they were all knackered so needed changing.

I fitted a pair of new 195's to the back first to see how that went, and it was OK.  Better cruising speed, and not too much loss of pulling away power.

So then got a pair of 205's on the back and swapped the 195's to the front.

Crising is better again, and pulling away if still good, with it coming onto boost reasonably quickly.  I don't think I'll be taking it any further though.

You could put 215's on it, but I wouldn't want to lose the pulling away capability.

We can cruise at 60 now without going deaf, and 70 is there if needed.  Still retains enough torque to pull up long motorway uphill drags too.

Economy is mid to low 30's.

Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 13 at 21:21
Originally posted by ttcharlie ttcharlie wrote:

How is the fix up of this van going? Is it all done now? Is it ready for the Mackeral season!!

Update imminent! and got 2 weeks down west in August for a full on mackerel assault!
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 13 at 21:35

OK, so one of my last jobs was to take the sink out of the bathroom.  TBH it's a waste of space and is literally a pain in the arse if you want to avail yourself of a sit down job on the lav!

it takes up way too much space, and when you consider that there's a perfectly good sink right outside the door..... you have to ask what's the point.  We'd much rather have the extra space for showering or bog duties.

This is what it looked like...

First off, open back door to gain access to back of shower and remove insulation:

Pipework exposed, try to remember (or mark up) which is hot and which is cold:

Then, sink was removed, along with the attached shelf:

Removed old taps and knackered micro-switches:

Made up new mini shelf/facia from 100mm PVC ducting and fitted the new mixer shower tap unti into it.

New shower-head and pipe was installed too.

Need to give the whole thing a good clean up and out a bead of sealant around the edges.

Also, I'm going to put a small UPVC lip on the shelf to stop stuff falling off, but I reckon that it looks OK.

Just got to connect the wiring to the micro-switches in the taps (tested, but not connected yet....ran out of time).

Edited by Chappy - 27 May 13 at 21:36
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 13 at 21:50
Smile

good to see chap.
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
ringonotts View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringonotts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 13 at 21:58
I guess the sink is personal preference. I use mine a lot - as does the family.

The one advantage of removing the sink us that you can now fit a cassette toilet - so much nicer than a porta potti.

Good work.

Ringo
Huge big LT Florida - its slow but its a Westie!
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 13 at 08:19
Looking good
ttcharlie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttcharlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 13 at 08:57
Originally posted by Chappy Chappy wrote:

Originally posted by ttcharlie ttcharlie wrote:

Update imminent! and got 2 weeks down west in August for a full on mackerel assault!

Where you staying?
Counting Bricks.....
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 13 at 11:38
Cardigan :-)
ttcharlie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttcharlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 13 at 14:26
Strange lot those in North Pembrokeshire, not like us from the South.

Be sure to try the 'Black' and the 'Red' if out drinking in Cardigan.
Counting Bricks.....
sirlollypop View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sirlollypop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 14 at 11:36
Inspiring!Clap  I need to get my Sven back on the road and sort the interior.  I have just had all of the outside done and repainted.

I feel a long an winding road ahead before I get the van going :D  I think mechanically it ok but the interior is a bit ropey.

But thanks for all of the 'how do' pictures etc.  I just wish I had the garage to get it in and work on it.  Oh and the welding skills....Cry
1991 LWB LT35 2.4D Home Brew Converted(When I want to get there)
1981 SWB LT28 2.7 Sven Hedin RHD(In the Paint Shop)
2007 Audi A6 3.0TDi Le Mans (When I need to get there fast)
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 14 at 18:19
Originally posted by sirlollypop sirlollypop wrote:

I just wish I had the garage to get it in and work on it.  Oh and the welding skills....

I didn't have either! Just crack on fella
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 19 at 21:59

Stand by! Five years have passed....

More Florida fettling is being done - and it's serious!!   
DAVEGEEZZER View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVEGEEZZER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 19 at 10:49
Originally posted by Chappy Chappy wrote:

Stand by! Five years have passed....

More Florida fettling is being done - and it's serious!!   
We need proof or it ain’t happening LOL

WANTED ;- underfloor lpg tank and fittings and a set of big mirrors (lhd )
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 19 at 12:08
WooHooBeer
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 19 at 16:50
Smile

crack on chap - pics needed

will it be done for BusFest?
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>