The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Caravelle Rear Heater

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhalle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Caravelle Rear Heater
    Posted: 03 Jan 17 at 13:31
Hello, I have a 2005 VW T5 Caravelle, which I bought earlier year, however it has a problem with the heater/AC unit in the rear.

The blower works fine but there is no heat being generated, it just blows out air at the ambient temp.

Anyone have any ideas what to check?

Jono
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 17 at 13:36
I would initially look at the control mechanisms for altering the heat levels.  The cables on the manual type (not the electronic type) were known to cause trouble (breaking, popping off connecters, jamming etc).

I'm assuming you are getting heat from the front outlets OK, as you only mentioned the rear one.
jonhalle View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhalle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 17 at 13:49
Hello, yes I'm getting plenty of heat up front, there's power at the rear since the fan blows at a fair rate of knots. 
I have a problem with the ceiling control, in that the fan speed rotary switch has been snapped off. The temp control seems to be intact. There are 6 buttons which control the blower and output direction (floor, ceiling etc).
I've been looking out for a new panel but had no luck.

Jono
jonhalle View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhalle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 17 at 13:52
Here's the ceiling control, someone had glued in the fan switch (badly) so I didn't spot it when I bought the van.

Jono
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 17 at 04:49
Hmmm, sounds like it is electronically controlled, so maybe look for blown fuses and faulty connections first ?  I always like to look for any easy/cheap fixes before moving onto the more difficult/expensive solutions.
sixpack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sixpack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 17 at 03:53
in the rear of the van, remove the plastic vent panel just behind the driver's side wheel arch, just pull it off with a little care.
On the rear heater unit behind, you'll see a white plastic actuator arm oriented north/south.  Servo at its top, coolant flow control valve at its bottom.  The servo rotates clockwise as you alter the temperature control which lifts (cold) or anti-clockwise, lowers (hot) the flow control valve at the bottom via the white plastic arm.  It's sprung to be in the upper or cold position if you remove/unclip the actuator arm from the servo (at its top).

So unclip it from the top/servo and agitate the [lower] valve by moving the plastic arm up and down, that maybe all it needs.   Alter the temp control while its unclipped and see if the servo rotates freely without the plastic arm  attached to it.
If the servo doesn't rotate then it's either a power issue or the unit is defective - I don't think these [servos] are very reliable.  Don't think you can replace just the servo.  The servo might move a little and then return, not sure what that means.

If the agitation worked for you then i would not have the temp control set at fully hot or cold and from time to time, go through this process again to keep the valve moving freely.
jonhalle View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhalle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 17 at 07:56
Hi Newbie, Thanks for your advice, during the winter months I disconnected the white plastic link bar and fixed the flap in a downwards position, and when the activated at the front (using the center console button) I got plenty of heat in the back.
Now it's summer I'll reconnect it after following your advice, to see if I can free it up.

Many Thanks
Jon
Jono
sixpack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sixpack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 17 at 17:01
no problem "not quite newbie", ha!
Did you ever change anything in the roof control panel?
sixpack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sixpack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 17 at 16:05
how did you fix the valve/flap with the plastic arm left off?
jonhalle View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhalle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 17 at 17:43
Hello again, I just tied it open with some gardening wire, I'll put it back and reconnect the arm when the weather warms up.
Jono
 Post Reply Post Reply