The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cambelt info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cambelt info
    Posted: 08 Sep 12 at 17:55
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum

Edited by madra - 25 Mar 18 at 22:18
volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 12 at 19:34
Not done it on a diesel as mines a petrol but can help with the others.  The torque is 400nm from memory but I can't see how you can realistically do that at home.  The bolt isn't that big either and i'd be scared of breaking it at that torque.  I just did mine up as tight as possible with thread lock and it's been a couple of thousand miles so far without any problems.

You can lock the crank by making up a bar which has two holes which bolt to the pulley.  The bar then has a hole in the middle to access the main bolt.  You make the bar long enough so it touches the floor and therefore locks it.  It's a bit difficult to explain but it will make sense when you see the pulley.  The easiest way though is beg, borrow or steal a large comprseeor with an air gun.  You don't need to lock the pulley then as thats how I undid mine.
1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
hugo151 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugo151 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 12 at 06:55
the hardest part of this job is getting the radiator in & out, just make sure nothing moves between getting the old belt off & the new one on.the water pump tensions the belt . behind the fan's 4 bolts is the pulley that needs to come off. fashion a bit of 25 x 10 bar with 2 holes to line up with 2 of the holes of the pulley, you'll probably have to grind a bit of a crescent into it so that you can get a socket in. the bar can rest against engine bay opening
1991 diesel swb low roof panel van LT35. 171k
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 12 at 21:57
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum

Edited by madra - 25 Mar 18 at 22:17
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 12 at 23:46

BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 12 at 00:34

Madra, if you can't move the bolt any other way and get desperate you can try wedging the breaker bar against the ground and hitting the starter for an instant and switching off again immediately, using the starter torque to slacken the crank pulley bolt ,but make sure you get the bar on the right side so it wedges against the ground when you crank it and doesn't fly up into the chassis/engine and be very careful, as I say it's a bit of a last resort method if doing the job at home.

p.s. if you try this make sure it's a decent breaker bar not one that's just going to bend under stress.

Edited by BeJay - 30 Sep 12 at 00:36
NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 12 at 11:34

hugo151 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugo151 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 12 at 20:05
i,ve done my belt twice now without replacing the water pump. i do sometimes worry that if it seized up  it might strip the teeth off the belt, but i've been known to put a few drops of oil in the header tank  to lubricate it.
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 12 at 20:38
Oil in the header tank? That's possibly the dumbest thing I heard in a while! My advice is tighten up the bolt to the factory figure...it won't snap! and it's better than a ruined crank...eBay search for the pulley holding tool, coolant will work much better than oil!
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 12 at 09:42
The water pump bearing should not see any coolant, as it's sealed and lubricated by grease. Separate to this is a sprung loaded ceramic faced seal which keeps coolant away from the bearing. TBH, a very small amount of water is designed to pass the sealing face, in order to keep it lubricated. But as the bearing has its own lip seal, this will just pass through the drain hole and evaporate.

I certainly don't have any worries about leaving a good quality pump or tensioner in place when doing a cambelt change, as if it spins freely and quietly it's unlikely to fail suddenly before the next belt change is due. Especially as most LTs are now going to have the belts changed on an age basis rather than mileage.
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 12 at 19:27
Madra , Simon sells the waterpump (http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/shop?page=shop.product_details&category_id=194&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1831)

Could you take a few pictures ,for reference please
LT28 Westfalia FloRida, 2.4 diesel

miserable fooker

madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 12 at 13:39

madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 12 at 20:33

madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 12 at 21:08

madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 12 at 21:13

hugo151 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugo151 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 12 at 00:11
the front plate of the damper pulley can easily be forced off by screwing a long m10 bolt through till it hits the head of the "BIG ONE ", just keep turning till it pops off. i wouldn't worry about the BIG ONE being that tight, mine wasn't, & like someone else said , just do it up as tight as you can if your torque wrench doesn't  go that high.
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 12 at 06:50

Edited by madra - 25 Mar 18 at 22:16
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 12 at 08:00
Thanks for the photo-documentary Madra. 

I have been considering doing mine over the winter. The van has done 172K and the belt and cover clips look new-ish, so I have assumed that the changing has been done on schedule. However, I would prefer to be certain, as would we all, that I have another 60K or so of happy motoring ahead.

Socket head bolts are the absolute worst fastener ever created. Lovely for a nice clean assembly scenario, but a complete and utter c when old, dirty and jammed, no pun intended, oh, an in sutu disassembly. Presumably then came Torx. Big Guzzis use a socket headed nut, cylinder head fastener that is down a two inch tunnel opposite the spark plug. Now that IS bloody stupid.

I would like to do the job properly too, so will be making my own locking tools etc, but sadly not in time for you to borrow. ?Would you be able to do some sketches of the necessary tool profiles required? Although they are shown clearly in the workshop manual I have not been able to find proper drawings of them. Do not bust a gut over it though.

?Looking forward to next weekend?  I am.

Edit: While rummaging for more info, again....I suppose we should be lucky we do not have to fight with thisShocked

Edited by LTCamper89 - 15 Oct 12 at 08:42
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 12 at 12:22
Madra, do not get out your rule. pen and paper, I have found these

T4 but generic for VW mainly.

Lots of homework planned now.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 12 at 20:26

Edited by madra - 25 Mar 18 at 22:16
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>