The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cam belt change

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgee132 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cam belt change
    Posted: 03 Oct 16 at 21:28
Hi all again,
I am gonna do the cam belt change on my LT 1 Florida and just wanted to know is there anything else you would purchase apart from the brickwerks cam belt kit and water pump ?I have read some of the posts on fitting the cam belts ,is there any one bit of advise you would give before I take this on ?
Thanks in advance
Marc
robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 16 at 08:58
If I was doing one again I'd look at the following.....

Replacing all belts fan belt, power steering etc
Full service whilst its in bits inc antifreeze
Rocker cover gasket
Checking/replacing of cam following shims
Checking/replacing of vacuum pump shaft as they wear and rattle

This is based on it being a 2.4td with non hydraulic tappet's although most will apply to any engine.

Lastly.......have a mate in attendance to help as they can be a bit of a twat to do......

Good luck and have fun.
1985 LT40 2.4TD Coach built Pioneer Diamond
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
mgee132 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgee132 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 16 at 13:22
Cheers Robby !!
jimbo101 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 16 at 14:14
Seconded on having a mate to help. Even better if that mate is an experienced engineer!
1985/88 LT45 Diamond RV 2.4TD

Driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his cake hole.
mgee132 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgee132 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 16 at 14:55
Cheers fellas ,brickwerks cam belt kit arrived today ,so fitting hopefully as soon as 👍
Daz028 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daz028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 16 at 08:08
I used Madras step by guide on here and it was great. It might also be worth looking at your gear linkages as it will be all exposed as you have to take out pretty much all the cooling system. I also changed the radiator, expensive, but i know it all works for peace of mind.
VW LT 1989 Florida 2.4 TD
 Post Reply Post Reply