The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brought a T3... Had a disaster!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacques.Baby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brought a T3... Had a disaster!
    Posted: 22 May 17 at 18:12
Hello all, sorry for being rude and not introducing myself properly, but I have had an almighty fail and could do with some advice. My name is Jacques by the way!

This week I brought my first T3 to enjoy as a small project with my wife. Its a 1983 T3 camper 1.6 Turbo diesel. On the face of it, it seemed a solid bet... Lots of work done and minimal rust!

Today I went to go and pick her up and drive her 30miles back home.

It started well, (was a bit lumpy) but I started driving. By the end of the first road I couldn't hear or feel the turbo do anything. I literally got another mile down the road when I heard the engine start to rattle/knock (it felt as though it was almost misfiring). Big clouds of white smoke came from the exhaust. And it died on me.

I left it a while and attempted to restart... it started but now the oil light was on and it wouldn't rev freely.

looking through the service history I notice its had a new turbo put on last year!

What are your thoughts? Any advice much appreciated!

Thanks. Jacques

Dropchip View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dropchip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 17 at 21:02
Welcome to the world of T3 ownership - get your overalls dusted off and get fixing bud.

clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 17 at 21:57
Initial thoughts are to check out your fuel feed - try a new fuel filter, check for air in your fuel pipes from perished rubber. The following are a few references to check out as well:

If you want PDFs of the VW JX service information drop me a PM.
1988 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker syncro
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 17 at 23:37
Check crankshaft bolt. Sound possible there's wear on the crankshaft and the pulley has slipped slightly knocking the timing out.

If so - then swear...
Jacques.Baby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacques.Baby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 17 at 19:39
Hello all, thanks for the replies.

I followed the suggestions and decided to have a good look around the engine today. A few things I found out...

The engine is actually a 1.9td and it appears to have blown a huge hole through the side of the crankcase!!!!

On the back of that the Turbo which is only a year old is shot to bits!

its looks like a replacement engine is needed! I'm located in Essex. would anyone know of a replacement engine for sale? many thanks.
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 17 at 21:15
shit! thats not good!
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 17 at 22:30
That's not good.

There's a bunch of possible candidate engines on eBay. There are a couple of 1.9 TD 1Z engines for cheap money, an AAZ which is a bit more pricey and a 1.6TD SB which is also going cheap.

Edited by clift_d - 23 May 17 at 22:32
1988 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker syncro
fatboy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
judge judy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 17 at 00:00
Did that to one of my aaz engines, still got the bent conrod on the wall! I was popular as we waited for recovery and spent the rest of the week in a static caravan! Personally I'd go for the SB as mentioned above if you want to stay diesel, I couldn't break that little engine! Or go for a 2 litre gti petrol engine as you've got all the hardware needed. Obviously the td will be an easier and quicker swap.

Edited by fatboy - 24 May 17 at 00:01
'83 T3 westy - biguns got it
68 buggy again!- Roger the cat is going to finish it
Syncro, previously known as the scoobyvelle

Shit I need to sell some MORE cars!
Jacques.Baby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacques.Baby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 17 at 20:22
Thanks for your advice guys.

After work today I removed the engine!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I have sourced a AAZ engine which I thought id take as it seems to be the easiest transplant to do... although people are suggesting the 1.6td are stronger?

What's the general consensus?

Thanks again!

Jacques

Edited by Jacques.Baby - 24 May 17 at 20:26
fatboy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
judge judy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 17 at 22:28
Make sure you fit an oil cooler up front if you go with the aaz, nothing wrong with them they just seem to run hotter
'83 T3 westy - biguns got it
68 buggy again!- Roger the cat is going to finish it
Syncro, previously known as the scoobyvelle

Shit I need to sell some MORE cars!
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 17 at 23:21

^^^^ WHS ^^^^ and fit a cooler stat. Available from Brickwerks.

Back in the slow lane, yeah!
 Post Reply Post Reply