The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

broken odometer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huwsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: broken odometer
    Posted: 16 Sep 10 at 10:13
My odometer and trip meter have stopped working this morning, but my speedo still works. Can anyone tell me if this is an easy fix or do I need a new speedo?

Cheers
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 10 at 10:40
Odometer is driven off a small platic worm drive. Usually the small (size of old 1/2p) cog break and a tooth falls off so they dont mesh or it can come unstuck from shaft and the cog spins on the shaft.

You can buy them online from US. Speedy cables in Ystragynlais have em but will only sell them as part of a £100 ish refurb-wont sell individual parts.

Use search facility as should be an old link on here from donkeys back.
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

huwsy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huwsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 10 at 10:41
Cheers Elvis.
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 10 at 10:48
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

itchyfeet View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 10 at 12:38
cog spinning on the spindle is what happend to mine, fixed it with a spot of super glue on the end of a pin, as it happens its just failed after 20K miles so looks like I'll be doing it again this weekend, will take some pics.
88 DG LPG Tin Top
huwsy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huwsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 10 at 08:50
Thanks for the link elvis.  Looks like I'll be fiddling with me van again this weekend Smile and pics sound like a good idea so will try and get some done too. Cheers guys
itchyfeet View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 10 at 14:38

OK fixed mine again today, here are the pics, hope they help.

shows worm drive to main spindle.

shows other side of the main spindle. I used a cut off small terminal screw driver, fitted it in in an electric drill (anticlockwise) in the main drive hole to see what was slipping. a line scribed on the end of the spindle helps.

Top cog is the one slipping again, lower cog is trip counter and driven from top cog, last time I did this I used a pin as shown applied superglue but it is risky as you can stick the spindle to the housing

So I drilled a hole using a 1&2mm drill so I had access to the cog and spindle. I  used a pin with the tip cut off applied Permabond 102 ( plastic friendly) in four spots rotating between each.  

88 DG LPG Tin Top
Garyd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 10 at 20:28
I have attended to the same fault ( I hesitate to say 'fixed') by slightly withdrawing the shaft to the cog side and removing the '1/10ths' tumbler. The shaft is only 'fixed' to the gear and the 1/10ths tumbler - all the others freespool and are driven by tiny gears between the tumblers to be careful that they don't fall out while you've ot it apart.

I then tapped the hub of the tumbler with a small hammer from one side with it laid on a hard surface (anvil of bench vice. This slightly compacts the tumbler and closes up the central hole. When the shaft is replaced it is a tighter fit.

To do this you need to lift the speedo needle over the zero stop and note where it rests (there are some fine lines on the edge of the faceplate); carefully pull off the needle; unscrew the retaining screws and lift of the faceplate. Now you can see what you are doing and can carry out the procedure above.

Hope this is useful
Garyd
Garyd
 Post Reply Post Reply