Forum Home Forum Home > System Info > Announcements
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brick-Yard - The future, please read.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brick-Yard - The future, please read.
    Posted: 17 Oct 07 at 20:45

Okay.

Where do we start?

Brick-Yard.

S'okay, init.

Well, we want to make it more betterer.

So, here's whats happening.

In the internet, somewhere else is buried another Brick-Yard, this is our development site.

It is based on a CMS (Content Management System) which basically means it makes it easier for users to become part of Brick-Yard and submit their own articles and photos.

Ofcourse there will be a forum!

There are a select few people who have access to this new website and over the next few months we will be busy beavering away dicking about with it making sure it's fit to be unleashed on the general VW commercial driving public.

One of the problems here is that we have outgrown the software that we use, and the database we have to use it on, thats why every now and again it falls over, so we will be swapping over to new hosts (bit more expensive) and some different software.
The cool thing about the software that we plan to use is that it is open source, meaning it's free and we can get loads of ace add ons for it, gellery software and all that kinda jazz.

So, new software, new hosts meaning quicker and more reliable browsing, thats more interactive letting you lot join in with some of the tech stuff, bit like a WiKi but a bit nicer looking.

So, who's doing it?
Paul, RogerTheCat - he's doing nerd stuff.
Monsho - another nerd.
Michael - general stuff.
G60Steve - looking bemused and confused at all the new buttons to press.
Me - pointing and shouting.

At the moment, you need to do absolutley nada other than tell us what you would like to see out of the Brick-Yard.

Once we swap over, your gunna have to re register, big deal.

In the mean time I am gunna have a play around with the forums, have a bit of a move around and see how we want things to be on the new place, as with VW, when they know something is on the run out they try the stuff for their new models on the last of the older ones, so thats what we are gunna do!

Oh, I think myself, Monsho and Paul (RogerTheCat) are gunna run some banners for our businesses, seem fair?

No subscription fees!!

Any comments please?

dub dub campers View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dub dub campers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 07 at 21:02

All sounds very impressive!! Can't wait, only mod i would like to see is last thread first, i.e when we respond "add our tupence worth" that comment should be top on thread not bottom, as when we go back to check out previous threads have to scroll through 1/2/3 etc.. pages to get to see the new responce "tupence worth" Don't know what anybody else thoughts are, And maybe should have donations when we list in the items for sale section, as i think we all appreicate what you do and that it cost you money so we should all chip in a bit as well !!

Stu.

dub dub
Stuart Roper,
Lampeter, Mid Wales
07966 270767,
dubdubcampers@aol.com
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 07 at 21:04

Money isn't a problem.

I will see if the new forum software has the function to be able to view threads upside down

Germman View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Vanarchist.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Germman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 07 at 21:35
 sounds like a good plan so far !
  will everyone b allowed to upload pics in all forums/for sale tec etc direct ?
       very handy, and can the new tec stuff handle re sizing /limiting  pictures automaticly  !

links to friends sites b it business or personal would b nice ,like banners !

wicki linked to 80-90 ??   etc

not much realy all i can think of for now !     easily pleased !!

http://picasaweb.google.com/germmanmark

Coventry near Vanarchy

*Wanted mint early AC STUFF*

Germman View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Vanarchist.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Germman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 07 at 21:37
Originally posted by Baxter Baxter wrote:

Money isn't a problem.

I will see if the new forum software has the function to be able to view threads upside down

It would have to have the original post first wouldn't it !!
http://picasaweb.google.com/germmanmark

Coventry near Vanarchy

*Wanted mint early AC STUFF*

phaeton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phaeton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 07 at 21:40

Hi Simon

Congrats on the coming future upgrade

I see alot of potential in this site

Anyway I have one suggestion a news page at the front of the site where I could post VWCV news and you could post UK stuff like GTG etc

Also a dedicated Australian or Aussie/NZ section for all of us CV fanatics down here

Cheers from Down Under

Ben

rob64981 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob64981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 07 at 21:44
Would be good.
For us lazy people.
Thanks Rob

Edited by rob64981
monsho View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 07 at 22:00
Originally posted by rob64981 rob64981 wrote:

Would be good.
For us lazy people.
Thanks Rob

This ones got that - click on Active topics at the top
monsho View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 07 at 22:01
ear, Baxter, can you PM us a link to it, left it all on works computer

jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 07 at 22:03

sounds good chaps.

Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Horney View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 07 at 22:05
Sounds awesome, lok forward to giving it a good posting!

Nick

88 Atlas Grey MKII 8v see here and an 88 T3 Panel van
goblin View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Watch out he's got a driving licence now

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 07 at 22:08
Brick Yard stickers like the user name ones and / or brick yard tax disk holders. Or brick yard reg plate surrounds aswell as the Brickwerks ones
A goblin is for life, not just for christmas!
kombi57 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kombi57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 07 at 22:14

S'pose when we reregister, we all become newbies again. Be really good if it can be programmed to lose the grey hairs, wrinkles and a few years off the age.....
T30 104 Kombi
monsho View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 07 at 22:16
yep, be going back to nada, unless we magic some way of transferring
everything, but i ain't nerdy enough to do that yet
The Reverend View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Reverend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 07 at 22:18
Damn .an ere was I just getting my post count up......

Good Luck with the new one Si ......If the lads need a hand with out, let me know.....
orangina View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 07 at 22:26
I think The Brick-Yard - and all who sail in her - is a great website/forum
and it's going to get better?
Fanbloodytastic!

ps. please note the enthusiastic example of tmesis (yes, that is a real word and it is spelt correctly)

Edited by orangina
calvin View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 07 at 22:37
Cool. good plan. I am sure young Roger has all in hand, but if you need any extra tech stuff or "soft-testers", let me know (or you Roger!) - we do Joomla, Drupal and Plone CMS' amongst other things.

good on ya  - a 'proper' vw approach, build it, test it, build it some more, then let it out when its all working, not "bung it together and get the unsuspecting public to road test it!"

I have no requirements to add - you've got it all covered I think. It works great as it is; any additional features can only be improvements!

Good luck!
Ever tried eating a clown? They taste funny.
'89 2.1 Westy California darn sarf, Sussex.
+++ Still looking for good OSR big bumper corner section PLEASE! +++
calvin View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 07 at 22:39
Tmesis - Good Word!

liking that

Ever tried eating a clown? They taste funny.
'89 2.1 Westy California darn sarf, Sussex.
+++ Still looking for good OSR big bumper corner section PLEASE! +++
monsho View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 07 at 22:47
Originally posted by calvin calvin wrote:

good on ya  - a 'proper' vw approach, build it, test it, build
it some more, then let it out when its all working, not "bung it together and
get the unsuspecting public to road test it!"

err, you've seen through our testing methods then

might be calling on you for Joomla info - thats what its done in - my firs go
so gonna get a bit lost me thinks....
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 07 at 22:47
Will those extra buttons i've got to press be moist by any chance...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic