The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Bought my first t5 today, already in limp homemode
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bought my first t5 today, already in limp homemode

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McGoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bought my first t5 today, already in limp homemode
    Posted: 22 Jan 20 at 02:03
Needed to get a van for work, have little experience with vans but went with a t5 as you can do alot to them if you wished

Thought id found a cheap t5 4 motion, irish import obviously but did a cartell hpi check which made things seem in order so took the gamble on it over a cleaner 2wd version

The van has done 162,000 miles and when I test drove it briefly to check for knocks and bangs and that all gears selected and the clutch worked ok everything seemed normal so paid for the van and headed home

Joining the motorway less than 5-10miles from where we started it lost power and wouldn't really rev past 2,000 rpm.. it was like limp home mode but the dash displayed no ecu lights or warnings.

When I bought it there was very little fuel and it just got to the pump in time to fill up, any thoughts if that could have contributed or is this signs of something else

After pulling over and switching the van off and back on it ran absolutely fine like nothing had happened, no smoke from the tail pipe or anything suspicious while driving. This happened again a few times while driving so id just have to put the clutch in turn the van off and restart to gain power

I have spoke to the seller and feel we will come to a solution and its all just one of those things that happens but as it was late id felt it best to just get it home and we will sort it out tomorrow. Just looking to get any ideas what to look at or check before I get too disheartened as id like to keep the van rather than mess about

Thanks for any help, will be doing a search but fresh ideas always help!

Cheers  

gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 20 at 07:22
The most common reason for limp home mode is sticky vanes on the turbo leading to an overboost condition (probably will have an error code recorded on the ECU).  Usually happens when accelerating through the gears at around 2,000rpm (when turbo boost builds up).  The old ignition on/off "reset" temporarily fixes it, but it often happens again.  

Most often seen on vans that are mostly driven gently, I always give mine at least one good bootful every drive and have never (touch wood) had it happen to me (190,000Km)

Some people have had success with manually moving the lever that operates the vanes, but others have had to pull the turbo apart to clean it properly.  With a bit of luck this be your problem and you'll be able to fix it without too much drama.  

Be very careful with switching the ignition off with the van still moving, your steering may lock up.
Rebuild View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 20 at 04:31
Yes, get the codes read, as it may give a clue where the problem is.

If you want to check the turbo vane actuator operation (this is for a 2.5), at the back of the engine is the turbo. There is an actuator with a diaphragm sort of canister nearby. If you reach over you can find the actuator rod for the vanes. With a suitable drift or rod you can see if you can push the lever attached to the rod to a hard stop. I hope i've explained it well enough.You have to push reasonably hard.
 If the rod doesn't move or can't reach the stop, it is likely that stuck or sticky vanes are your problem.

But, get codes read first if poss.

Edited by Rebuild - 23 Jan 20 at 04:34
Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI
Charlie Dog View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 20 at 13:15
Originally posted by Rebuild Rebuild wrote:

Yes, get the codes read, as it may give a clue where the problem is.

If you want to check the turbo vane actuator operation (this is for a 2.5), at the back of the engine is the turbo. There is an actuator with a diaphragm sort of canister nearby. If you reach over you can find the actuator rod for the vanes. With a suitable drift or rod you can see if you can push the lever attached to the rod to a hard stop. I hope i've explained it well enough.You have to push reasonably hard.
 If the rod doesn't move or can't reach the stop, it is likely that stuck or sticky vanes  are you talking about what I know as the "Blast valve" or a "Wastegate" please Yardie?#
The thingummy that blows off
when the pressure gets too high? your problem.

But, get codes read first if poss.
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 20 at 13:34
The t5s don't have a blow-off valve (Blast valve ? ) or wastegate on the turbo.  Boost pressure is regulated by varying the angle of the variable vanes that control how the exhaust gas pushes the turbine.  These variable vanes sometimes get stuck in the "high boost" position due to carbon build up.  
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 20 at 14:24
Thanks Greg :o)

Is that the round thingy
top left hand corner please?

T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 20 at 16:34
That round thingy is a vacuum chamber powers the lever that operates the vanes or the wastegate.  The big difference between a turbo with variable vanes or a wastegate and one with dump valve/blast valve/blow valve is that a wastegate or a vane arrangement works on the exhaust side but a dump valve works on the inlet causing that (annoying) well known boy racer badge of honour sound ;-)  
2004 2.5 174
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 20 at 16:48
Thank you very much T5 :o)
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 20 at 20:50
As said above.  Most likely to be overboost or underboost.  You really do need to get it on diagnostics though because many other things can cause limp home such as MAP sensor.  Don't write off a turbo just on a code though, boost leaks in any of the hoses from the turbo to the intercooler or the intercooler itself split can cause the same.  

2004 2.5 174
fenwick458 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fenwick458 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 20 at 07:54
so much is missing from this post. what are the details of the van for a start? 
so much speculation over what is wrong with the turbo, when it hasn't even had a scan yet to see what fault codes are on it?

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 20 at 08:46
Originally posted by fenwick458 fenwick458 wrote:

so much is missing from this post. what are the details of the van for a start? 
so much speculation over what is wrong with the turbo, when it hasn't even had a scan yet to see what fault codes are on it?

How does that put milk in the babby's bottle?
 Post Reply Post Reply