The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'boarding out' a new T5 LWB

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'boarding out' a new T5 LWB
    Posted: 06 Apr 10 at 05:33
hapless new guy here,

need help on boarding out a new T5 LWB.

what fixings, screws etc?

ply board thickness?

insulation?

where to start?

any useful links?

thank you.
solarboy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solarboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 10 at 00:50
Self tappers+screwgun, 4mm ply, a jigsaw, a pencil. Squint when you look at your work.
T4 2.5TDI builder wagon remapped to 117BHP.
also
T4 1.9TDI AHU Kombi

Bristol VRT double decker conversion.Donkey cart.
TwoFish View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwoFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 10 at 14:50
Originally posted by solarboy solarboy wrote:

Self tappers+screwgun, 4mm ply, a jigsaw, a pencil. Squint when you look at your work.

Which is pretty much how the guy who boarded mine out did it. For what he charged, it didn't really make sense for me to do it myself.

Once he'd done it though, I then insulated with sheathed rockwool. Others here have recommended 'Celotex' if I'm spelling that right. A search on 'insulation' should throw up a few threads. You'll need to use the 'Advanced Search' if you want to look back more than six months.

Oh, I've also heard of sheeps' wool being used, though I'm not sure if you'd be able to find any of that down your wayWink

Welcome to the forum BTW.

[Edit} Here's a photo of my insulation going in behind the ply:

Edited by TwoFish - 07 Apr 10 at 16:57
BlackBeltBlakey View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 10 at 15:27
I didn't have to board mine as it was already boarded but I did insulate it by hand.  I read Stone174's blog to see how he did it and shamelessly copied.  LINK to my blog entry on insulating.

I also replaced the back two 3mm hardboard panels with 6mm plywood panels.  That was easy as I had a template to start from.  Had to replace the existing platic rivets with longer ones after doing that to hold it in place.   I bought some 'scrivets' which were awesome.  LINK to the blog entry where I describe cutting the panels.

Dunno how much that will help you but hopefully some.

Cheers
Blakey
2007 130PS SWB Pearl Black Kombi. My Van Blog.
 Post Reply Post Reply