The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Birth of a Syncro

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Pickles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Birth of a Syncro
    Posted: 29 Jun 09 at 13:27

I have finally decided that I have too many T3s.

I know most you will find this hard to believe but it is possible apparently.
I have a 2wd Camper, Syncro Doka and Syncro Ambulance.
I have have had lots of fun with the Syncro Doka greenlaning and off roading. But doesn't get much use. What I really needed was a Syncro Camper hence I bought the Ambulance. I was going to convert it into a camper, apparently this is not a good idea either.

So after speaking to MG who said its easy to convert a 2wd to Syncro.
I decided to convert my 2wd camper to a syncro.
I have had my camper for 17 years and is part of the family it was not really an option to sell it and buy a Syncro Westy.
I bought the 2wd drive as a panel van 30k on clock 1 owner, and converted it using a Holdsworth kit and Reimo double glazed windows. A reimo pop top was added a few years later to accomodate the kids.

A deal was done and the Doka went to a new home      

Work started Friday morning

one low 2wd Camper ready for conversion

1990 1.9td SYNCRO DOKA
1988 1.6td SYNCRO AMBULANCE
1989 2.1i LPG Camper
David Pickles View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Pickles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 09 at 13:39
Work began on Friday morning at a secret location.

Syncro front sub frame and suspension, painted ready to go on.

Wheels off ready for conversion
1990 1.9td SYNCRO DOKA
1989 2.1i LPG Camper
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Pickles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 09 at 13:49
Some more pics

Difference between engine bars Syncro top.

Cutting 2wd panels off ready to bolt syncro subframe on
2wd steering rack panel as the syncro panel is no longer available a new one will have to be made.
Easy MG.
Anyone want to buy some 2wd bits
1990 1.9td SYNCRO DOKA
1989 2.1i LPG Camper
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Pickles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 09 at 14:00
New Baxter stainless Syncro exhaust
Yes I know wheres the Muffler
I am a tight get and am going to use the existing till it expires.
lending a helping hand
nearly cut off
told you it was easy MG
Surley bolts would be better than a knee
told you bolts were better
1990 1.9td SYNCRO DOKA
1989 2.1i LPG Camper
Syncost Alot. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
horns apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syncost Alot. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 09 at 16:02
Most excellent!! Cool
Vanorak
Vanorak
horns apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syncost Alot. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 09 at 19:23
I'm worried though.............What is this going to do to BCE's figures? Tongue
Chilla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 09 at 22:02
Originally posted by Syncost Alot. Syncost Alot. wrote:

Most excellent!! Cool

Agree, astonishing piece of home engineering. Well done those men.Clap
..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 09 at 22:52
well done guys.
vw venom View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vw venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 09 at 11:00
smart job mate ever thought about doing other peoples vans ?
The BCE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The BCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 09 at 20:34
Originally posted by Syncost Alot. Syncost Alot. wrote:

I'm worried though.............What is this going to do to BCE's figures? Tongue

It's easy, I'll have to start a new thread for the stats on 4WDs that used to be 2WD!
1992 Syncro Camper RHD 2.1 MV
SOLD - Deposit taken
Vanorak
Vanorak
horns apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syncost Alot. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 09 at 20:41
That's the spirit! Thumbs Up
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Pickles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 09 at 13:16
The work to convert the 2wd to syncro took 4 days.

Day 1

Work started at about 10.30 on Friday 26th June.
Me and Mike worked all day stripping the vehicle of 2wd stuff by about 5.00 pm we had removed all the front suspension, cut off the 2wd panels. Also we had removed the exhaust and the gearbox was unbolted and ready to remove. The engine had been lowered and the syncro engine mount fitted. Petrol tank was removed.

Day 2

Mike worked on his own as I couldn't get over due to hospital appointment and Jeff Beck gig in the evening. Apparantly things didn't go to well. He spent over an hour trying to get his welder working, then his angle grinder packed up. By the end of the day he had fabricated the new syncro steering rack panel all welded in place and prepared the chassis for the front subframe. Bolted in the new subframe and fitted the front suspension.
The front has been fitted with 2wd springs and the shocks have been modified to give extra clearance. New disc and pads and top ball joints were fitted (from Brickwerks).
Mike also removed the 2wd gearbox.

Day 3

I cycled over to Mikes from my house in Denholme 22 miles, calling at Machine mart to buy some cutting discs. I also brought over some clutch pipe fittings and flaring tool. The clutch pipe was badly corroded where it went through the chasis at the rear. When I got there Mike was busy working away. I started fitting the new stainless exhaust (from Brickwerks) cuting the rear panel that goes under the engine pulley, drilling new holes. There were some clamps missing for the exhaust (a quick call to Simon and the were posted out Cheers). I then made up a new clutch pipe this was fitted and bled. Mike had been working on the water pipes in the engine bay getting ready to take the fuel tank. My LPG wiring was in the way and had to be moved. The syncro tank was then fitted with its straps. This was quite tricky as there was the LPG tank in the van under the seat where Mike was drilling. The centre panel was cut to allow clearance for the prop.  Mike fitted the fuel pump and filter.  Syncro shocks and springs were fitted to the rear along with Brickwerks spacers.

Day 4

Mike worked all day, I took the afternoon off work and cycled up to Mikes arriving at 2.30.
Mike had been busy altering water pipes. The thermostat top was turned through 90 deg some pipes were cut a tee piece was made. We then realised that the main L - shaped pipe at the side of the engine was badly corroded and leaking. A replacement must be found. (Simon had one in stock). We then fitted the gearbox and drive shafts and some fuel filler pipes. At 5.00 pm we called it a day. The van was back on its wheels. It would have driven home were it not for a corroded water pipe. And some LPG , oil pressure and fuel pump wiring.
My new Syncro was A-framed back to Denholme by Limey

1990 1.9td SYNCRO DOKA
1989 2.1i LPG Camper
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Pickles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 09 at 13:44
Some more photos
Tool Rack

Rear Spacers

Petrol Tank
Fuel Tank In with Straps

1990 1.9td SYNCRO DOKA
1989 2.1i LPG Camper
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Pickles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 09 at 13:05
Not got the Syncro going yet due to no time.
Have got to fit the L shaped water pipe to the side of the engine and some wires to repair. Then hopefully it will be going.
Will be at Camper Jam all being well.
Some Pics of the new stance

1990 1.9td SYNCRO DOKA
1989 2.1i LPG Camper
syncrostan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syncrostan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 09 at 18:34
That ambulance looks cool.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Pickles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 09 at 13:14
Manage to make it to Camper Jam

Had a frantic battle with the the Syncro water manifold in the engine bay.
After filing the system up and starting up I had water pissing out every where.
Not being able to get another one I had to modify the existing 2wd manifold.
Well it made it to Camper Jam and back.
My wife didn't like the Macho's on the Motorway, had stereo at Full Blast

Enjoing the Rain
1990 1.9td SYNCRO DOKA
1989 2.1i LPG Camper
spg View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
ALIVE!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 09 at 10:02
How's it going did you get the front end sorted ?

1985 Fischer converted Syncro now running on LPG (sometimes)

1965 Split Panel (in bits)
Zebedee View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebedee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 09 at 17:45

Can i be cheeky and ask what sort of price all the syncro bits you needed cost you?

Also what do you do about the V5 and insurance? Is it classed as a major modification or do you just call it a syncro for insurance purposes?Confused

Vanorak
Vanorak
horns apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syncost Alot. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 09 at 08:45
Insurance, V5 I don't know about but I think he just bought a old syncro.
If you were thinking to do the same it would definately be the cheapest way of getting the parts, although you may have to price in a new VC & gearbox rebuild.
Cheapest syncro would normally be a single-cab pick-up. Just because there is less demand for one of these.
Hope it helps
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Pickles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 09 at 20:27
Not been on brick-yard much or doing anything to the Van.
Been waiting for an operation on my Arm. So mechanicing has been out of the question.

Some pics of my Van in France earlier this year

Was going to get Baxter do some work on my Van.
Replace upper wishbone bushes, lower arm bush, lower ball joint, repack cv joints and fit front drive shafts. Renew front wheel bearings and longer studs. And then tracking Camber etc.
Can't  believe he could do all that in 8 - 10 hours. Would take me weeks.
Anyway Wife decided that the money would be better spent on the house.
So I have to get cold and oily.

Will get the tracking done by the Baxter.

Any way work commenced.

Replaced the upper wishbone bushes.
Not as bad a job as I thought (thanks for the tip Mike)

Inner bit removed, 4 cuts with angle grinder on big end, then knock out centre metal sleeve
Then hacksaw carefully through the outer metal sleeve. Once cut through, it knocked out easily.

Pile of dead bushes

All bushes from Baxter. Not GSF crap.

Next job

Lower arm bushes, I understand these can be done with the arm still on the van.
Anyone done it. Any tips.

Also going to install longer studs in the front hub.
I remember reading that the hub can be gently teased off without  removing the bearings.
Then refit, I assume the inner race comes out with the Hub. Anyone done it this way.

1990 1.9td SYNCRO DOKA
1989 2.1i LPG Camper
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>