The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Big front brakes.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scrogins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big front brakes.
    Posted: 24 Aug 17 at 15:08
Inspired by the fitting of Holman disks to the rear of van, I have been collecting the components required to upgrade the front of van to Audi A6 312mm vented disks, mintex disks £54 pair, mintex calipers x2 £50 pair, both new old/stock, Epytec brackets/bolts £97, carriers x2 £30 s/hand, refurbished fine, hubs turned down £80, Lockheed pads, £16 new/old, bmw 450mm e36 hoses x2 £14, bearings and studs new last year so fine and refitted, so everything for £340. cheap!

Started work two weeks ago, all came apart except hoses to pipe connections, 30mins with hacksaw, having 1st jammed brake pedal down with a length of wood to seat, no mess!! so far so good but as I went to rebuild with new components found a myriad of suspension faults, both top swivels rubbers split, both bottom swivels, play, track control arm bushs did not look right? as I removed them they fell to bits, metal tubes had broken free a long time ago allowing the cotton reel rubber to scrub out on the front of its location, a.r.b. lower rubbers all but falling apart, upper intact but sloppy fit, wishbone bushs noisy and split, ripped it all out and replaced with new thus doubling the cost of my simple little job! sigh.

However! finished last night, all lookin good, reset the camber with a gunson tool from Simon, caster fine, set tracking by eye, checked it today and spot on? miricule! just got back from a 25 mile run and what a difference! the van feels like its on rails now, the brakes were there straight away, solid pedal, tiny bit vague but stomp on them and you stop in a hurry, bedded in a bit now and very responsive, find myself pulling up short, good brakes! well worth fitting and the handling now is remarkable, an unexpected expense but again worth the effort.

Initially I was not sure if going from a 60mm caliper to 57mm would be a step in the wrong direction but the increased braking area of disk and size of the pads easily outguns the original vw sliding calipers on 256mm disks, which were past their best as were the calipers, you need 16in wheels to fit this kit in, there is approx 15mm clearance between the caliper and rim, dont think a 15in would fit?

Cup of tea, then go set up the rear with camber tool, remarkably easy to use, dont have a tyre wear problem but can see the camber is way off, also tracking is out a tad since I replace the rear bushs, slurpz....

Edited by scrogins - 24 Aug 17 at 15:27
scrogins
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 17 at 16:58
Thumbs Up
Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 17 at 23:43
Very nice Thumbs Up Need to upgrade mine soon! After an enthusiastic run my brakes resort to me soiling my seat ,as i jump on the pedal with little effect until they've cooled down again   

Currently with black diamond discs. imho no better than the originals. Been offered a set of merc ml stoppers. need to do some research Smile

Edited by Bromy - 26 Aug 17 at 23:48
"follow the masses, do the opposite"
Speedwell68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedwell68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 17 at 19:19
Originally posted by Bromy Bromy wrote:

Very nice Thumbs Up Need to upgrade mine soon! After an enthusiastic run my brakes resort to me soiling my seat ,as i jump on the pedal with little effect until they've cooled down again   

Currently with black diamond discs. imho no better than the originals. Been offered a set of merc ml stoppers. need to do some research Smile

Have you changed the fluid recently?
Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 17 at 17:46
7000 miles ago? 
"follow the masses, do the opposite"
scrogins View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scrogins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 17 at 18:01
Have got nearly 400 miles on the clock now since fitting the Audi front brakes, just local stuff, supposed to be in Devon this week but the plague had other ideas and laid up at the moment, Brakes are all I could wish for, Powerful when required, yet well controlled in normal driving conditions, an excellent combination with the Holman rears, particularly impressed with the Lockheed pads, have not used them before, will acquire a set for the rear and try them out. all in all a very cost effective and worthwhile front brake upgrade,

I was originally thinking of replacing the vacuum servo with an E30 BMW one but no longer feel the need to do so as the standard setup works beautifully, already had a new German master cylinder which must contribute to the feel of the brakes, if you need new fronts go for it, you will not be sorry, but I would advise you factor the rears into the plot as well. Koff Koof sneeze! I feckin hate bugs!!! Slurpz
scrogins
 Post Reply Post Reply