The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Auxiliary lights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiggerandfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Auxiliary lights
    Posted: 25 Jan 16 at 20:32
Having nearly .... Finished the welding I'm starting to think about the fitting out of the van. At the moment I have 5 Amber front lights on the fibreglass high roof and 5 red lights at the back. Neither set work and I'm thinking of getting rid of them but wondered if there was a requirement to have auxiliary lights? I've found some replacement LED truck marker lights which will use much less power. I'm trying to plan ahead ( not my best strength    before I finish all the internal insulation

Any advice on if I need to have auxiliary lights or practicalities of having them or not ?
Simon
1985 LT 28 2.4D
Monster LT View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 16 at 21:37
Not a legal requirement. As the name suggests it's auxiliary to the neccessary lights.
LT45-TD-ACL-intercooler-4x4-1993
Tiggerandfish View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiggerandfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 16 at 09:51
Thanks for the reply monster LT I'm very grateful.

I'm thinking I will remove them . Any tips on filling the holes in the fibreglass that will be left ? Each light removed will leave behind 3 holes and I have 10 lights in total !!!
Simon
1985 LT 28 2.4D
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 16 at 11:27
Personally I'd leave them alone if the don't leak but...

If you have access to the inside of the roof then you can use fibreglass or filler to block the holes.
Before it sets scrape off any excess on the outside.
When it has set a small amount of filler will block the holes from the outside.
If you want an invisible repair you might need to apply new gellcoat on the outside.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Tiggerandfish View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiggerandfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 16 at 16:33
Hi Andy thank you for that advice. I have access to the inside (at the moment) so will take them off before I build new fittings on the inside - front and back - which will prevent access in the future.

I'll fill inside and out as you suggest - not too bothered about invisible repair as long as it's reasonably neat .
Simon
1985 LT 28 2.4D
timaldiss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timaldiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 16 at 20:51
I love my marker lights!
-------
I have a history of VW LT camper van addiction: http://campervanman.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply